Questions after My First Ever HT Consultation

I'm very happy to be a new member and this is my very first post.

Slight background: The hair on my crow started thinning at age 19. It has very gradually progressed over 11 years and I am now at a point where I want to do something about it.

I went to my very first ever consultation with a HT surgeon today. This was in the city where I live; I have decided to check out the local scene first and will gradually widen my search. I have another consultation booked for next Tuesday.

As this is was my first consultation, I have a few questions.

1. After filling out the paperwork a nurse or technician used a camera and computer software to measure the hair density on different parts of my head. Is this a standard procedure?

2. After the surgeon examined my hair, he strongly recommended I start taking finasteride and then come back in 4 or 5 months to discuss surgery because this would mean that fewer grafts would be needed. Is this common?

3. One of the reasons I am considering a HT is because I don't want to be taking a drug for the rest of my life. Is it a common strategy to use finasteride after a HT?

Thanks in advance.

I'm very happy to be a new member and this is my very first post.

Slight background: The hair on my crow started thinning at age 19. It has very gradually progressed over 11 years and I am now at a point where I want to do something about it.

I went to my very first ever consultation with a HT surgeon today. This was in the city where I live; I have decided to check out the local scene first and will gradually widen my search. I have another consultation booked for next Tuesday.

As this is was my first consultation, I have a few questions.

1. After filling out the paperwork a nurse or technician used a camera and computer software to measure the hair density on different parts of my head. Is this a standard procedure?

2. After the surgeon examined my hair, he strongly recommended I start taking finasteride and then come back in 4 or 5 months to discuss surgery because this would mean that fewer grafts would be needed. Is this common?

3. One of the reasons I am considering a HT is because I don't want to be taking a drug for the rest of my life. Is it a common strategy to use finasteride after a HT?

Thanks in advance.

It's best to use finasteride before and after a transplant.. to stabilise the hairloss.. and once the transplant is done, the transplanted hair is permanent, but the hair left isn't. you could lose further hair, and it might look silly

Tomcat,

Not every surgeon will measure the density of your hair using a device however, it's certainly good idea. I'm sure it can help determine the level of miniaturization and in your case, I can understand why your surgeon would recommend taking Propecia.

Everything you are saying is absolutely normal.

Best wishes,

Bill

Sounds ti me that the Dr gave some sound advice.

its like this taking meds could save what is there & sometimes even give you regrowth.

Taking meds is like protecting your investment but its for life not short term.

if you dont use meds then there is a good chance you will loose more hair over the yrs hence more HTs down the line

Be good idea to post some pics of just the area your concerned about.

Thanks for all of your swift replies.

Based on this, I think I will try finasteride for a few months and also use that time to research which HT surgeon would be the very best for my needs. I am willing to travel literally anywhere and price is not important.

I have attached a couple of pictures to give a clearer picture.

The surgeon actually showed me photos of a patient who came for a consultation, went and took finastride for several months, and was satisfied enough with the regrowth from the meds that he no longer wanted to undergo a transplant. I'm wondering if such cases are common or a minority.

Top.thumb.jpg.e1a01a7922890e86eb7c035918a91356.jpg

Back.thumb.jpg.4bcae0c214e9e30a59b1c8695c6ef419.jpg

Great attitude to have there buddy.

Thank you for the pictures it will help members with a better idea of your situation.

I see your in your early 30s which from the pictures you look like your going to end up as a high Norwood 6 or 7.

given that you may become a good responder to meds but its not a miracle cure by any means but could stabilize your hairloss & maybe have some growth also.

you may have some shedding in the first 3/6 months dont spaz over that as this is normal with meds & a indication that your responding to the medication, it will turn around so just power through this horrible time.

It probably wont get you where you want to be but for sure if you dont do anything your sure to be a high NW by the time your 40s.

On the assumption that you read up on propicia & rogain right? If you have take instructions from your Dr, carefully & see how things are in 12/24 months down the line.

in the meantime read through this forum do your research while you see how you react to meds.

Wish you well

Edited by ontop
edit

I am also expecting Norwood 7 to be the inevitable endpoint and planning everything based on that expectation.

I have read up on finasteride and Rogaine, so am pretty sure what to expect.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll start taking the finasteride next week.

It sounds like you chose a good ethical clinic for your consultation. One that wasn't just interested in how much cash they could extract from you. Recommending finasteride first is usually a good idea (unless the patient is very bald already). You should have an idea after six months or so as to whether it's working for you, and also to see if your body tolerates it without any side-effects.

All the best.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

I am also expecting Norwood 7 to be the inevitable endpoint and planning everything based on that expectation.

I have read up on finasteride and Rogaine, so am pretty sure what to expect.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll start taking the finasteride next week.

Why not start both Minoxidil and Finasteride? Your hairloss is quite aggressive hence you need power of both the drugs to fight.

Remember Thick hairs have been seen as early as 4 months into treatment, but usually the full benefit from Minoxidil and Finasteride is not see for 12- 14 months! So give time and be patient! Keep monitoring your hair monthly.

I would advise you to be on medication for atleast one year before considering any HT!

Till then keep researching...

I hadn't actually considered using both Minoxidil and finasteride at the same time. The surgeon said that "both Minoxidil and finasteride are good, but finasteride generally yields better results." Is it common to use both agents in combination? I will definitely consider this and raise it at my next consultation.