Dr. Rosanelli or Dr. Diep

I'm not sure who to go with. Dr. Rosanelli or Dr. Diep. I've seen examples of Dr. Diep's work on African American hair... Dr Rosanelli is closer and has already contacted me, offering a military discount (I'm Air Force). I'm not looking to have the procedure done within the year but I'm trying to get a decision together far out from when I plan to get work done. I have a Skype consultation time setup for tomorrow, already, to put together a plan with Dr. Rosanelli. I'm honestly a bit put off by how fast I got a reply but I'm not sure how this is all supposed to work out.

I've attached my current stage of hairloss. It may not look like much to some... but it used to be much "deeper" down my forehead.

Hairline.jpg.43552cca10c6e0eec7be94ba5bdfa925.jpg

• Administrators

I'm not to familiar with Dr. Rosanelli, I know Dr. Diep has an extensive portfolio for his work on African American hair. I would not base any decision on location alone or price, you want to look at results. Dr. Cooley is worth taking a look in to as well he has some impressive results with African American hair. I went to Dr. Diep, I am super delighted with my results. Take your time look at as many before an afters as possible consult with as many doctors as possible as well.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Never really looked at the back of my head before... huh...

The back and sides of the head is where they extract your donor hair from, and re-attach it to your balding areas.

My advice is go see a few reputable doctors in person and get their opinions.

You military guys often get very short haircuts so its hard to tell from just those pics whether you have thinning- and/or retrograde hairloss, or if thats just the way you buzz your hair

Same thought crossed my mind, when I saw the photo. :S Up until a month ago, my hair was anywhere from buzzed to 4 inches long (on the top) and straightened. I never noticed any thinning in the back back that is where I would style the "swirl" in my hair.

African-American guys tend to have lower hair densities.

The two things you need to be aware of:

1. FUE is more difficult due to the 'hook' shape of hair follicles in A-As.
  2. If you have FUT there's a greater risk of keloid scarring.

I'd fully look into theses aspects before making any commitments. There's a guy on here who had an unsuccessful FUE. I think his name is 'TygerD'. You should send him a personal message. There are also keloid examples on here too.

For what it's worth your hair still looks decent and in my opinion you don't 'need' a transplant. I would jump on the medications and forget about it.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Kitten,

Both physicians are recommended on the Hair Transplant Network and have a long history of producing excellent results. I recommend viewing examples of their results on our forum and that should give you a better idea of the doctor who impresses you the most. I would also suggest consulting with both of them in person if possible and also speaking to some of his patients who have posted their experiences and pictures on this forum. Deciding between two quality doctors can be tough and this process as I described above will help you narrow your selection down and ultimately choose one.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Not surprised you had problems with Diep and a skype consult. My personal experience there was not a good one. I think he does really good work but the office is a mess and needs a drastic change. I did not have a procedure there so I am not talking negatively about the surgery but the office is a mess and led me to go else where.