What did you tell your boss when taking time off for a transplant

I told my Boss that I am going to get a Hair Transplant and need a week off.

She said see you at home, honey.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Administrators

I didn't say anything I took 2 weeks of vacation and said I was traveling out of town, came back with a buzzed head, people looked at me strangely in the beginning but then they moved on. Don't worry too much about it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I didn't tell them anything either. I just took a week and a half vacation. I should have taken a full 2 weeks though. I returned to work wearing a hat. I had a black eye tho left from swelling around one of my eyes. It went away after 2 weeks. I had over 3200 grafts fue.

• Moderators

Why do you have to tell them anything other than you are taking a vacation.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

It's kind of short notice for me and I only have a week of vacation. I bit the bullet about 10 minutes ago and went and talked to my boss, was upfront about everything. He seemed interested and offered to talk to HR with if it would help WITHOUT disclosing to them the actual reason. He checked his calendar and there is open space for the timeframe my schedule is tentatively scheduled for. Just really glad he was understanding and I'm looking forward to the next step whatever it may be.

Good for you. If he's an older guy or just has some loss himself he's curious. Every guy would be.

What are you expecting in terms of downtime seeing as you are having an FUT / FUE mix?

At the time of my first couple of hair transplants, I was working as the IT manager for a company completely unrelated to the Hair Transplant Network. . That said, I was just honest with my boss and told him that I was getting a hair transplant done. Honesty is usually the best policy. After all, the healing process does take some time beyond the typical time that people take off. So unless you can wear a hat to work the entire time, somebody is going to notice that something is different. So I would be honest and tell your boss that you are getting work done. The only time this may be a problem is if you really can't take the time off from work and you have to make up some other reason. But most of the time, you can use vacation time to get your procedure done and then when you return there will be no surprises at least for your boss. As far as what you tell other people, that's another story

Best wishes,

Bill