My journy to better hair(I HOPE)

Kmcd1

So i thought id keep a wee diary of my fight against mpb, what i use and some photos.

Im 37 and dont really know where i am on the scale of baldness but i do know its thinning and now is the time to try fighting back lol.

This is the list of what i use and how often i use it.

Regane max strength 5% foam : twice a day. Morning and night.

Nizarol 2% shampoo : 3 times a week. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Biotin tablets. 1 a day. Every morning.

Finastride tablet 1mg. 1 a day. Every morning.

Multi vit tablet. 1 a day. Every morning.

Iv been on the regain, nizarol and biotin for 2 months and the finastride for 30 days so im a wee bit behind on that lol.

I have noticed a lot of baby fluffy hair at my right temple area just at the hairline but thats all i can really see, i hope i have the same growth at the back too. The shed has been bad i think lol as the hair all over the top has thinned out a bit so hoping for great things when regrowth happens.

Time for some pics and these are the starting pics and im now coming up to the end of month 2 so will get some of those pics up closer the time thanks.

Ok just noticed my pics are a bit messed up lol. Will remember this for next time but if a mod can fix this that would be great. Many thanks in advance.

The 1st 2 pics are of my crown but seem to be upside down. The 3rd is my right temple and just needs flipped. The 4th is my left temple and again just needs flipped. The last pic seems to be ok. Looking at the pics iv also learned not to use the flash lol as the 1st pic has no flash and looks the best quality.

20160111_222104.thumb.jpg.82851c95d43c8d5ea61a193f9134142b.jpg

20160111_222151.thumb.jpg.27cb5f2c002529801f041cac5f5c6b45.jpg

20160111_222201.thumb.jpg.e720f7d6f0f44ed8e5b1cef5203a3372.jpg

20160111_222210.thumb.jpg.ab859094aea2cb7821deb790a3f88d13.jpg

20160111_222217.thumb.jpg.c9bb3341fc1f04de7465adecab7bb9bc.jpg

Edited by Kmcd1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there. Your hair loss almost looks like the same pattern as mine, but a bit further along.

Finestride and Rogaine are most effective at restoring crown loss and while yours is definitely thinned out, it's not completely bald. I think that you will probably have a good chance of re-growing a decent amount of hair there.

Best of luck! Hope to see how this turns out as you get further into your treatment!

Cheers mate. Il be taking my next photos on friday night so we will see if there is anything new but that will prob take longer to see a real noticble diffirence?

At 37 I'd start consulting for HT surgery. It's a good age to do this. Posting a photo with your hands out of the way and showing a "top down" view from the front and scalp would help but you look pretty advanced from the back of scalp / crown at least. Temples also look quite regressed. The medicines can help and might give you some regrowth but one should probably just set expectations at "maintain what I have with a bit of regrowth".

Some of the best doctors have 3-6 month wait lists so it's a good time to begin consultations and then do the research and if you can fund it begin planning on a surgery late 2016 or early 2017 if you are ready for that step. I think one big session of 3500 or so could really make a big difference for you.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

I'd generally go along with what the last poster says. You may well be wasting your time and effort on your current regime of meds, they aren't going to miraculously bring your hair back. I know how much some of this stuff costs in the UK, you may be better off just putting that towards the cost of a hair transplant.

Judging by your pics, you do appear to be a good candidate but clearer more detailed pics of back, sides, front and top of your scalp would confirm this.

Feel free to PM me if you think I could be of any assistance.

You may well be wasting your time and effort on your current regime of meds, they aren't going to miraculously bring your hair back. I know how much some of this stuff costs in the UK, you may be better off just putting that towards the cost of a hair transplant.

No disrespect Shera but that's crazy talk. It's never going to be a bad idea to commit to a regime of meds especially if the OP is considering undergoing a HT in the near or far-flung future. I'll agree with you on the notion that you're incredibly unlikely to regrow a full head of hair but to say that doing (a very inexpensive and non time consuming regime) what OP is doing could be a waste of time and effort is nonsense, imo.

12 months supply of generic finasteride + kirkland minoxidil costs me a grand total of 65 pounds, hardly pricey and takes a sum total of about 5 minutes every day. Well worth the time and effort imo.

No disrespect Oldchestnut, but most lay persons in the UK will be paying about 40 UK pounds a month for Fin on prescription and the Regaine 5% Minoxidil foam will probably cost another 35 UK pounds (Boots) a month. That's 75 UK pounds a month, 900 UK pounds a year. Add another 200 UK pounds a year for all the special shampoos and vitamins and you have 1100 UK pounds a year. Over the course of 3 years, that's 3,300 UK pounds, just slightly under the same figure I paid for my transplant.

If you can source a generic years supply of Fin and Minoxidil for 65 UK pounds, then that's even cheaper than India, good for you but this will not be the case for the generic population.

Having spent a few years on the medications myself, I do believe that there is a point when the med's can no longer do their magic to sustain an acceptable look and it's time to move onto the next step. For example I am still on Fin 1mg but it would never have bought my hair back without the transplant.

Thankfully, with your hair, the med's seem to have worked over the course of a year, however you did have hair of an 18 year old to start with, which is lot lot different to the Ops hair.

It is in the context of the Ops hair, I stated that he may well be wasting his time and effort on his current regime of med's, they probably aren't going to miraculously bring all his hair back as he and we have all hoped for in the past. The med's may well bring something back over the course of the year or years, but is a little something back over the course of a few years what the Op is looking for?

For the record i don't go to any special lengths to source my finasteride or minoxidil. GP prescribes me fin and i buy it over the counter from my local pharmacy. It's 5 pounds for 28 x 5mg tablets. (The doctor actually remarked to me that the price of 4 months supply is 1 pound 61 pence! The rest is the pharmacy's fee.) Minoxidil i buy from ebay where it's 25 pounds for 6 months supply of kirkland liquid, all legit and sealed packages just cheaper than buying direct from supplier.

Surely the point is that the OP wants to retain his current hair if he's going to undergo a HT. Obviously i appreciate that i had a very different starting point but it seems foolhardy to suggest throwing in the towel on meds and undergoing a HT. I think he'd almost certainly save himself money in the long run by hanging onto the hair he has, just my opinion.

Just to clear a few things up. I live in Scotland where my meds are free. My fin costs me nothing at all. The dr prescribes me it and it costs nowt at the chemist. The regaine foam is ?30 on amazon for a 3 months supply and the biotin max strength is ?10 for a years supply and the niz shampoo is also free from the dr. So to recap it costs me a grand total of ?130 a year for all of the above.

I might as well give it a bash for a year to see what happens before i consider a transplant of any kind,dont you think. Plus i dont really fancy the big scar on the back of my head lol ☺☺

Edited by Kmcd1