FUE is more popular than FUT

PaulB79

Same. I think Dr Bhatti is a good doctor, and top marks for him participating in the thread, but probably would have been better for him not to have bothered.

It was entertaining watching him and Feller go back and forth though.

Some people would have definitely been put off by Dr Feller, but did it hurt his business? I highly doubt it.

Although i agreed with Dr feller on FUE, i still think he was too bullish about it, and could not explain why docs like Lorenzo can get results with FUE on par with his strip results.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

For us to know if the thread backfired on Feller, you have to know why he wrote the thread - to second guess his motivation. Similarly, to know if his business is better or worse for it, you'd have to be him or his accountant.

None of which, even if we did know it, would make a blind bit of difference to the topic of debate - which is really the effectiveness of strip vs FUE (rather than the title of it, which is about popularity).

This is really what is wonderful about sticking to objective facts. It doesn't matter if you're a descendant of Isaac Newton or chair of the Anti-Gravity League, if you jump from the 20th storey of a building, the outcome is just the same. Same for the measurable elements of HTs - yield rates don't change whatever you think of strip or fue.

And while that's not the beginning and end of the final result, it's an objective indication, and why I'd like to see more studies into it.

• Administrators
For us to know if the thread backfired on Feller, you have to know why he wrote the thread - to second guess his motivation. Similarly, to know if his business is better or worse for it, you'd have to be him or his accountant.

None of which, even if we did know it, would make a blind bit of difference to the topic of debate - which is really the effectiveness of strip vs FUE (rather than the title of it, which is about popularity).

This is really what is wonderful about sticking to objective facts. It doesn't matter if you're a descendant of Isaac Newton or chair of the Anti-Gravity League, if you jump from the 20th storey of a building, the outcome is just the same. Same for the measurable elements of HTs - yield rates don't change whatever you think of strip or fue.

And while that's not the beginning and end of the final result, it's an objective indication, and why I'd like to see more studies into it.

My initial post was that the thread backfired because his tone and demeanor would turn some potential patients away, by Mavs own admission he decided to not even consult with him due to his forum demeanor, that was my initial point, even if one person is turned off than that's a potential patient that was lost, now how much that would impact his actual business if at all I don't know, even if it was only one person who decided not to consult with feller because of the thread that's business lost is it not?

Btw I have no ill will towards Dr. Feller or Dr. Bloxham, I wish them well I only responded in this thread because Mav had quoted one of my posts. I prefer to steer clear of this FUT vs FUE drama, I'm happy with my results and I prefer to answer questions and help other balding sufferers like myself.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

My initial post was that the thread backfired because his tone and demeanor would turn some potential patients away, by Mavs own admission he decided to not even consult with him due to his forum demeanor, that was my initial point, even if one person is turned off than that's a potential patient that was lost, now how much that would impact his actual business if at all I don't know, even if it was only one person who decided not to consult with feller because of the thread that's business lost is it not?

Then you assume his only motivation was to attract business to himself. And that no one who had previously not considered him then did so after reading that thread.

If you look at the number of active members on here, ~3000, probably less than 100 actually post regularly. Of the other 2900 who's to say 50% of them didn't agree with Feller's FUE thread? We've no idea....and what about the thousands who view the site without a membership?

Business has been so bad for Feller he decided to take on a Physician/Business Partner in Dr Bloxham during a period where his posting presence on here was virtually none existent. I'm sure business is booming.

Also what % of HT patients ever find a forum? I bet 1 out of 10 at best. Which for some of us would seem shocking for such a big procedure.

Of those how many find this forum vs another?

Of those how many found that specific thread?

I didnt read the thread in question but I dont think any one thread has much impact on anything.

This doctor works in one of the most highly concentrated swamp of human beings on planet earth with one of the highest % of men with disposable income. If you are a solid doc out there just word of mouth is going to get you plenty of business. You could build a 20 year backlog of business just working on investment bankers in Manhattan - look where Dr. Wesley just parked his new office. 5th Avenue!

Personally I have seen some of Feller's videos on youtube and he strikes me as the typical NY type - they are more brash, outspoken, (some call it arrogant) than a typical guy from Indiana or Oklahoma will be but I find it entertaining myself and like his sense of humor. I am sure for others it might be offputting.

As to the original topic, although in jest, I think the context of the discussion go forward is not what topside yield will be with FUT v FUE (let's say they are equal or near equal) but what the downside risk is in yield, and how more often that could happen in FUE vs FUT due to less tissue around the root bulb. Top side results seem to be great on both FUE & FUT but I see a lot more variability in FUE results IMO, even among top docs. And now with how they are rolling out to FUE to non HT cosmetic places, I think the greater populace is going to see a lot of ill fated results with FUE - due to who is doing them.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

• Administrators
Then you assume his only motivation was to attract business to himself. And that no one who had previously not considered him then did so after reading that thread.

It could be, I don't know there's no proof of that; that I know of, what there is proof of is that Mav said he didn't consult with him due to his forum demeanor. All in all it doesn't really matter I wish him and Dr. Bloxham well.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I disagree, if you look back to old threads Feller was consistently mentioned as one of the top doctors in the world in this forum and others, now it's konoir, Shapiro, Rahal, and H&W for strip, no one ever mentions feller, in fact the only people who praise him are posters who haven't even had a procedure by him, they've only "seen" his work through friends. So in all, I think the thread did backfire and ultimately did cause him to lose some business, I never said it would ruin him but it definitely didn't help. Couple that with the Feller bait and switch thread, I'd say his reputation has been severely damaged, that thread really hurt his rep, the fact that he was quiet during the whole thread says it all. Do I think he'll survive, yea I think he'll still get patients and he'll be fine, but do I think he'll ever be regarded as he was 4 years back, no I think those days are long gone and most of which by his own doing.

To your first point, that's probably one of the reasons he became so active on the forum again last July & started that thread, he wanted to try and become more relevant again. Now the other thread, I completely agree with you, that one absolutely did hurt him, no question. Hence the reason that according to Bill he protested to get it shut down. If the FUT is more popular than FUE thread backfired on him, then I highly doubt he would have carried on the way he did. He was lapping up every minute of it, including the way he got one over Dr Bhatti. Whilst I appriciate your comment on me not consulting, I hardly think I'm representative of the population of prospective patients who will consult with the names they know and keep on hearing. I guess we will never know, so let's just agree to disagree.

even if it was only one person who decided not to consult with feller because of the thread that's business lost is it not?

Not if he gained an additional 2 patients for every 1 that he lost that would not have even heard of him if he never created that thread.

Also, just for the record, even if I did decide to consult with Dr Feller, I can guarantee its doubtful I would have agreed to sign-up for a procedure with their current practice of not allowing me to request that only Dr Feller perform it. No disrespect at all Dr Bloxham, I am looking forward to seeing you achieve greatness.

• Administrators
Not if he gained an additional 2 patients for every 1 that he lost that would not have even heard of him if he never created that thread.

Also, just for the record, even if I did decide to consult with Dr Feller, I can guarantee its doubtful I would have agreed to sign-up for a procedure with their current practice of not allowing me to request that only Dr Feller perform it. No disrespect at all Dr Bloxham, I am looking forward to seeing you achieve greatness.

Yea I suppose, at this point all that we know is that at least one person, which is you has openly stated they decided not to consult with him due to his demeanor on the forum, I believe there was someone else in that thread that changed their mind after reading his posts. So just looking purely at the facts I haven't seen anyone come up and said they chose him after reading that thread, of course im not saying that its not within the realm of possibility just that I haven't read that or encountered it.

Regardless, I wish him and Dr. Bloxham well in their endeavors I'm definitely not going to participate in any further FUE vs FUT debates, the results are here for anyone to research for themselves and make an informed decision. At the end of the day both procedures have the same objective so the fact that they're both around only benefits the community.

View my thread

After my fue surgery with dr. diep, i noticed that there were a small lump of hair grafts by the microscope stations the tech used to disect the grafts that were not used. When i saw it, it had be worried that these were wasted hair graft that was either damaged during extraction, or transection, and is this normal? has anyone else seen this after their HT?

Edited by bondi

I like Dr. Feller, he does say it as it is and he should be given credit for that.

I think you are mistaking confidence for arrogance. To me he just seems like a good doctor who takes care of business and his patients.

His work is excellent. I have seen his before and afters and think they are a cut above and that's all that really matters to me and probably to most people.