Opinions On MFUE ??

I'm fairly stripped out at this point and considering MFUE. What are your opinions on this technique ? Not hearing all that much about it positive or negative.

As for my current situation. My back donor section is pretty tapped, but the sides are still somewhat intact. 1-2k would help.

It could be that there is not a huge sample yet of results. We mostly hear from Dr. Lindsey. It would be good if Drs Feller (approved Coaltion Dr) or Dr. Bloxam (working towards coalition status, but an advocate of MFUE) would show if possible some more ops and also some results with mFUE

• Administrators

There's not enough actual patient reviews in my opinion, in theory it sounds wonderful, I just haven't seen actual patients post their reviews, FUE on the other hand has dozens of patient reviews that show proof that it's successful, there is also dozens of pictures posted by patients showing the donor area after thousands of grafts extracted (myself included). If you're stripped out I would suggest going FUE which is a proven procedure.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

NewHare:

I'm intrigued by the M-FUE technique too. I was considering both FUE and FUT when I first started researching a transplant. I decided FUT was the better technique for me, but the idea of FUT results without the linear scar is appealing. I actually consulted with Dr Feller and Dr Bloxham in December, and spoke with Dr Bloxham about the M-FUE technique extensively. We all three agreed that FUT was best suited for my case. However, I may look into M-FUE for smaller vertex work at a later date.

You should try to speak with Dr Bloxham about M-FUE if you get the opportunity. He's obviously passionate about it, and it is a worthwhile experience just to listen to him explain the history, process, different manners in which it is performed, and where it is today. He showed me some images I had not seen online too. It was my understanding that they will post these presentations when all the data has been collected.

As HTsoon mentioned above, both doctors also stressed that FUE after FUT procedures can be a good option as well. They did have some concerns about "thinning" the donor region with FUE and possibly making the FUT scar more visible. However, they do employ strategies to avoid this as much as possible.

Research, research, research!

Doctors I'm considering:

FUT:

-Feller

-Hasson

-Konior

NewHare,

As a few others have pointed out, the technique itself is new and doesn't have a long internet history because of this. However, the theory behind mFUE itself really isn't anything overly "new," and this is why I think Dr Feller, Dr Lindsey, and I are enjoying using it so much.

I think it would likely be a good approach for someone in your situation. You are "stripped out" so it's time to steal more grafts with a non-strip technique. This means either traditional FUE or mFUE. mFUE should work regardless of the quality of the donor. FUE can be much more of a question mark in individuals who have already had surgeries in the back. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work, but it would be good to do an examination and maybe even some test extractions to determine which is best.

Since mamzuka asked, I'll share a little information about the overall technique:

The goal of mFUE is to provide FUT- quality results without removing a strip or creating a linear strip scar. We do this by using a larger -- and sometimes differently shaped -- punch to isolate and remove a grouping of grafts from the donor area. This grouping of grafts (or an mFUE graft -- if you like) is then placed under a microscope and dissected into follicular units -- just like a strip -- by a skilled technician. The larger defect caused by the punch in the donor area is then closed up with a stitch or a staple. This leaves a series of small "dash" scars spread diffusely throughout the donor. This is opposed to a contiguous linear scar created by a strip removal or hundreds to thousands of very small circular scars caused by FUE. Depending on the technique used, each mFUE punch can remove a dozen all the way up to 50-70+ grafts per extraction. I've had as little as 8-12 when using smaller punches in depleted donors; and I've had as many as 76 in a great donor using an elliptical shaped punch to superficially score the donor, excising with a scalpel blade, and then extracting with a blade and forceps using optical magnification (the same I use in regular FUE and to make recipient sites). This means patients are only left with a dozen to a few dozen of these dash scars spread throughout the donor.

And what does the patient get for these little dash scars? A good harvest of strip-quality grafts. And it is the ability to gently cut around a grouping of grafts and lift them away without the FUE torsion, traction, and compression damage that allows for this.

And thus far, we've been very pleased with the results we've seen coming in for follow-ups. And we will be posting presentations and updates on the technique in general in the not-so-distant future.

In the meantime, here are some videos you may find interesting:

Here is Dr Lindsey examining the number 2 buzzed donor of an mFUE patient 6 months after the surgery (comb through starts around the 3:10 mark):

Here is a patient with pretty sparse donor 7 weeks post mFUE:

Here is an example of some healing mFUE sites at 6 months:

Here's a bit of a surgical walk through video:

And here are a few previous FUE cases augmented or repaired with mFUE:

I know many of these videos stress the donor scarring. However, it is important to remember that this is not the focus -- or should not be the focus -- of mFUE. The donor heals nicely and the little dash scars are easily hidden and allow for a shorter style, but FUE does this as well. But the difference, and true point of mFUE, are the results in the front created by the gentler extraction process and FUT-quality grafts. And we will be posting more of these soon.

So I hope this was helpful. I also encourage you to come in for an evaluation, NewHare (if it's possible). We can go over everything, look at the donor, and discuss both mFUE and FUE as possible options.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Would the mFUE not leave better scarring with a vertical incision and closure? Has this been tried? It seems this scarring would go the same direction as the hair and possibly come out better and less likely to stretch through movement? Idk, just kicking that question out there.

Like below:

http://imgur.com/oB1e7F1

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker,

You must have a video camera in our office or your mind reading skills are improving! Stay tuned for updates ....

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thank you all for your opinions, insight and advice.

Yes being striped out I was fairly settled on fue, however after learning of this new approach I will wait and see if it will in fact provide better results.

Dr Bloxham, thank you for that very comprehensive reply. I will look forward to your updates and further presentations. And yes, I will certainly plan to meet with you in the next few months.

NewHare

NewHare,

My pleasure. Hope to see you soon.