How many grafts do I need

Hi everyone my name is Cody and I have been losing hair since I was 15 then in 17 I started using high blood pressure medication which caused me more losing. On 18 I had a heart surgery . On 20 I stooped using the medication for high blood pressure. and started using proprecia for 1 year.

I'm planing to perform a HT surgery and I need your experience. I have two questions for you

1) How many grafts do I need to cover the entire balding area (If possible)

2) Do you think the age of 25 is suitable for the HT?

3) Can you give me some advice not to lose more hair , or the rest of it

Thank you and I'm looking forward to hearing from you

http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...pyID=5116&WebID=1591

Hey Cody,

I know this is not what you're going to want to hear, but this is my honest opinion. I also want to preface my words by first saying I suggest you go see a reputable HT doctor for a consult to know for sure. That said, here are my thoughts:

1) 25 is young for a HT because ideally you want 10-15yrs of little/no hair loss before forming a permanent HT plan

2) HTs give the least cosmetic benefit to a person with your hair loss pattern. This is because you have to approximately double the amount of hair in a region for the eye to notice a significant improvement. Since youre hair loss spread all over, that would require a mega session of 5,000+ which is also very costly

I suggest you continue using propecia religiously. Get on Rogaine if it doesn't effect your health. And use one of the recommended DHT inhibiting shampoos. I think your ideal situation would be if you can maintain or regain a bit of your density without having to undergo a HT.

If your committed to the idea of a HT then I recommend you go on the hair loss blogs and look for guys that had HTs with similar hair loss patterns to you. I think you'll see that there are several good looking results. But, they all required multiple sessions and/or 1 mega-session.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

From a laymans point of view, it looks like you are headed for a full blown NW6.

I honestly would not do it right now. But if you are set, in your particular case I would consult H&W since they are the best at huge sessions.

Depending on the caliber of your hair I think that would probably be 7000+ grafts for a full restoration. And by full, I don't mean original density.

cody21,

buddy both of us fall under similar hair loss pattern and I am also 25. Looking at ur pics, I felt like luking at my pics again.

I am in the kind of dilemma..similar to u..whether to go for a HT or not. Follow the suggestions in this forum. All the best.

If u want u can refer to my pics at "Pics with donor hair" in Resultsposted by HT patiente page

You obviously need to consult with MANY doctors and get their opinion on your situation, but I don't think you're a good candidate for a transplant.

Talk to 5, 10, even 15 respected doctors and get their opinion on your situation, but keep in mind that even the most skilled and respected doctors cannot predict your future. Balding sucks, but looking like a freak with an unnatural hair pattern for the rest of your life down the road will suck far more.

I can't say for certain one way or the other whether you're a good or bad candidate, but I can give you my opinion based upon what I know.

You're young, and you're already showing a NW 6 pattern, not a good combination. It's possible that you'll never lose another hair, but not likely. But, even if by some miracle you don't lose any more hair, you still have a surface area of probably 230cm2 that you would wanted transplanted at a density of at least 40 follicular units per cm2. That right there is 9200 follicular units! Even if you are financially able to spend the money that many grafts would take, you most likely don't have nearly that many grafts available to move.

Now, of course you don't have to transplant the entire balding area, but are you comfortable with a very mature hairline and little to no hair behind the frontal third? What are your expectations?

Like I said, best case scenario is you never lose another hair, your donor is both dense and capable of producing lots of grafts, and you have the financial means to support your restoration. Worst case scenario is you continue to lose hair, your donor thins, the transplanted hair falls out, and your transplant scar becomes visible.

Nobody can tell you whether you will end up in Camp A or Camp B, so proceeding is a gamble.

You need to realize that ANY transplant you have done now, must be based upon your final balding pattern, not the pattern you're presently showing. Because you will end up wherever your genetics take you, you should plan as though you are already there.

A 12 year who is showing no signs of MPB that is destined to become a NW 7 will become that NW 7, it doesn't matter that he's a NW 1 at age 12, it matters what he will be at 25, 35, 45, 55, etc. Plan as though you are what you will become, because in essence, you are now, what you will become, it's just a matter of time.

Cody,

Unfortunatley at such a young age you have a very extensive amount of loss, which mean the likelyhood of you becoming a NW6 or 7 is great. Because of this you are NOT a good candidate for hair transplants and anybody who tells you that you are is flat out crazy! Yes you could have a procedure done and may even be happy with the results for the short term but in the long run you will continue to lose hair and it will eventually look unnatural.

2 things to consider however! 1st shaving your head is in style and it looks as though you have a nicely shaped head for this paticular type of hair cut, and 2nd because you are so young- you have time on your side and they are vigerously working on a "cure" for MPB because there is so much demand for it. So PLEASE dont make any harsh decisions at this point. Shave your head and move on until there are better options!! Just my opinion. Good Luck!!

Thanx alot TC17 , what about 2 sessions , is there a limit for the follicular units even with another HT?

I mean if we suppose I'll need 9200 grafts is it possible that I don't have the amount even with 2 sessions? and again thanx for the information . .

Hi Cody, I'm going to tell you that at 25, with a NW5-6 pattern/diffuse thinning your probably not a candidate for a HT.

The guys have given you great advice...should you hold steady into your 30's...maybe, but I would look to buzz your sides shorter...you could get a tan...it will make you look better and minimize the contrast between your thin top and thick sides.

Put this aside for a bit and turn your energy to better pursuits mate.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by Severn:

From a laymans point of view, it looks like you are headed for a full blown NW6.

I honestly would not do it right now. But if you are set, in your particular case I would consult H&W since they are the best at huge sessions.

Depending on the caliber of your hair I think that would probably be 7000+ grafts for a full restoration. And by full, I don't mean original density.

This is pretty much it.

I am guessing that Drs. Hasson or Wong would plant a conservative hairline on you... so if you can live with a hairline that is higher than your original, and if your hair quality is good, you dont have to live life bald. But you wont have rock start hair either.

Cody, I think we all understand what you're feeling. I strongly suggest you check out the hair loss blog and find guys that have NW 6 & 7 hair loss and see what they've done and how they look now. If you can live with a higher hairline than you have now and be happy with see-through hair then proceed down the HT route. If not, I say stop here because you may be worse off when reality doesn't meet your expectations.

With all the respect to everyone, since he has not lost his hairline , I think he could easily get a ht and not look like a freak. The point im trying to make is;

-He has thinning all over equally. Eventhough no doc can %100 be sure about the pattern, it's pretty predictable I guess. So let's assume that he had a megasession app. about 4-5k for his frontal. Since the shape of his hair has not been lost, i don't see any future freak looking appereance.Eventhough he'll loose native hair in future, don't we see some solid balds looking great with 4-5k at the front? Later on, he can think about crown.

I did not say that some clinic would not be happy to slap 4-5K grafts onto Cody's head.

At 25, his sides have already dropped, so that 4-5K your talking about probably will not do the trick to satisfy him.

Additionally, he will likely continue to lose his hair, so at 25 he is not a candidate. If he was on Propecia for 18 months and that stopped his loss and possibly some regrowth, maybe...but it is still a bit of a gamble.

A more realistic approach would be to simply buzz the hair all over.

Again at 25, IF Cody MUST go forward, he would be better served with 2500 FUE grafts, bolstering a conservative hairline and then adding some density over the frontal half.

He would retain his ability to cut the hair short and walk away from getting a HT later on should his hairloss progress further.

I still maintain after seeing the photos that Cody is a not a HT candidate at this time...better to wait and move forward after being on Propecia for 1-2 years.

I see your point azazelgs, but amidst all these great results, we need to be even more diligent about being conservative, giving sound advice, etc...and really make sure a guy is ready mentally and financially to take the plunge.

Cody needs education, patience and support, which thankfully all of us are giving him.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Jason, thank you for your opinions but i'm still confused.

We see some magnificent results like Jotronic, Bobman, Nicnitro who are NW 6 . So why can't he get the same approach as them regardless of his age? The names I told were completely bold and got great results so if he got the same approach , he have a great change to achieve a full head of hair look, am i right??

I'm 24(nw3) and really wanna learn more about this.

Originally posted by the B spot:

. . .

Again at 25, IF Cody MUST go forward, he would be better served with 2500 FUE grafts, bolstering a conservative hairline and then adding some density over the frontal half.

Wow, I would say that this advice in contrary to conventional wisdom which states that valuable donor needs to be preserved. Strip harvest provides higher yield.

I agree a strip scar is not ideal, but 2500 FUE grafts will give him just a little bit of fuzz and will hardly be connected to the sides.

7K strip grafts might give him a more respectable look.

Originally posted by azazelgs:

We see some magnificent results like Jotronic, Bobman, Nicnitro who are NW 6 . So why can't he get the same approach as them regardless of his age? The names I told were completely bold and got great results so if he got the same approach , he have a great change to achieve a full head of hair look, am i right??

Sure these guys got great results...with 8-9-10K grafts, not 4-5K.

From what I see from Cody, he has not started propecia and has no idea if he will respond.

Again, at 25, at a full NW5-6 pattern/no meds, Cody is no where near a candidate.

Of course, this is my personal feeling toward his type of situation and generally speaking Dr. Shapiro's. We like to stay conservative and not necessarily be so aggressive.

Like I said, there are hundreds of clinics who would be happy to sign Cody up for 2-3 more sessions.

Emperor, conventional wisdom would tell Cody to wait till 28-29, rock the buzz cut, and see what propecia does. Assess his potential to go to a NW6-7....he has lost his sides already so unless his donor density is crazy, he's already going to be lucky to get 6-7K, which after he does the frontal 2/3's and hits the sides, he will likely not have any grafts to hit the crown.

So if we scale back the desire to reach a "full head of hair" (which is more unlikely than likely) framing the face and shaving the sides down to lessen the contrast between the dense sides and thinning top, a nice look can be achieved.

Please note---my advice to Cody is to NOT get a HT at this time. Maybe not ever. At the very least he needs to stabilize his loss first, then do some in-person consults.

He also needs to buzz his head and forget about the hair before he thinks about doing a HT.

All of this is my opinion, so please do not take what I say as the only way.

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Jason,

quote:

Originally posted by azazelgs:

Sure these guys got great results...with 8-9-10K grafts, not 4-5K.

Before I had my last surgery with Dr. Wong and I had "only" 4825 grafts I think I looked pretty damned good, thank you very muchicon_wink.gif

Cody,

I see where you said you have been taking Propecia for one year already so that is a good starting point. Coming from the clinic that is known to do the largest sessions I have to agree with Bspot that you are not a good candidate for surgery. Not so much because of your loss at a young age but more because your donor, what little I can see, seems to be less than average with regards to density. Better donor photos would reveal more of course so I'm just going on what you have posted.

Also, while you don't have to reveal the details, you did have heart surgery at the age of 18 so I have to be curious is you have spoken to your doctor about whether or not HT surgical is safe. Are you taking blood thinners now since your surgery?

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians