How to judge when you're done

For those who have had multiple procedures, how do you judge when to stop and not have any more ? I've had multiple procedures, and having consulted with a few docs (some top docs) they tell me I can still have another. Though to me the donor is looking pretty thinned out at this point.

I'd like to know how is this judgement made ? And when is enough. Worse than being bald on top, would be to have a freakish gap or irregular thinness in the back donor area. Or a scar that shows through.

Also when is it safe to say the fu's are securely attached and you can begin to more aggressively shampoo again ?

Edited by NewHare

I dont know, but I would always ask a reputable doctor if its OK to have another HT, because the shady ones will just tell you what you wanna hear.

Also grabbing a mirror yourself and assessing your donor area is important as well, if its starting to look thin you're propably at your limit. Might also wanna look into a partial beard-hair transplant.

How many total transplants have you had so far??

With the limited donor supply of lifetime grafts available, you are done when the FUT surgeon says you are stripped out, and then for FUE when the FUE surgeon tells you he got all the acceptable grafts he could get out of my he safe zone. At that point you make ve onto body hair. There will be surgeons who are more aggressive than others, I.e. Hasson & Wong can extend the strips all the way over the ears to the forehead and go high as well to get grafts. It then depends on whether you can live with such a long scar. If you are a higher NW I think it's worth it to have donor hair more spares and a super long and high scar if it gets you more coverage up top. Lower NWs can be more conservative.

I've had four in total and even though I've been told by coalition docs that I could have another I'm very leery. I would much rather rely on a more tested way of determining this than just subjective opinion.

Also how long until fu's are securely anchored and one can wash their hair more aggressively ?

I've had four in total

Do you know approximately how many total grafts you had transplanted so far??

Doesnt have to be an exact number, just approximately.

Reason why I'm asking is because most people have anywhere between 5,000 to 9,000 total donor hair grafts available, and that is it. You cant get anymore then that.

It also depends on which Norwood you are. If you're a severe NW7 you're probably in the 5,000 range of available donor hair. You simply dont have anymore after that, and you'll have to start digging into the beard-hair and body hair

Do you know approximately how many total grafts you had transplanted so far??

Doesnt have to be an exact number, just approximately.

Reason why I'm asking is because most people have anywhere between 5,000 to 9,000 total donor hair grafts available, and that is it. You cant get anymore then that.

It also depends on which Norwood you are. If you're a severe NW7 you're probably in the 5,000 range of available donor hair. You simply dont have anymore after that, and you'll have to start digging into the beard-hair and body hair

That's hard to say, my first two were old 80's style plug jobs done by apparently unskilled surgeons. Very different from today. Last two procedures were 2k and 1500 or 3500 total. I'm an nw 5 or 6.

But the first two are anybody's guess. They also left me with bad scarring, which complicates matters further.

Whats the maximum strip FUT's you can get?? I think its only 2, isnt it??

Totally depends on the laxity and size of prior strip procedures. You must ask Dr Hasson his estimate for you. I was told by Dr Rahal I have 1 more left which would be my 3rd, and my laxity is average. He did say that I can still get FUE grafts after that. If I wanted to push the limit, I bet I could get a 4th, but I'll be risking a stretched scar, so will use my 3rd and final strip wisely when the time comes.

Dutchie, I don't think NW number drives the donor supply of grafts. It depends on size of the safe zone, caliber/thickness of donor grafts, density ect ect. Some NW7s are blessed with above average donor . My boss is a NW7 with absolutely nothing on top, but he has an abundance of thick hair on the sides. I always stare when he walks past as I would guess he can easily get 10,000 grafts out of that donor.

Dutchie, I don't think NW number drives the donor supply of grafts. It depends on size of the safe zone, caliber/thickness of donor grafts, density ect ect. Some NW7s are blessed with above average donor . My boss is a NW7 with absolutely nothing on top, but he has an abundance of thick hair on the sides. I always stare when he walks past as I would guess he can easily get 10,000 grafts out of that donor

But arent those NW7's in the minority though. I thought NW7's had the fewest donor hair out of all the Norwood's

But arent those NW7's in the minority though. I thought NW7's had the fewest donor hair out of all the Norwood's

I'll be honest Dutchie, that's the first I heard of that. Isn't the safe area called the safe area for a reason, I.e. Is the same area for a NW 2 as a NW7? I know the NW7 will need a crap load of grafts to ever get coverage, but the donor supply isn't at a disadvantage?

I'll be honest Dutchie, that's the first I heard of that. Isn't the safe area called the safe area for a reason, I.e. Is the same area for a NW 2 as a NW7? I know the NW7 will need a crap load of grafts to ever get coverage, but the donor supply isn't at a disadvantage?

You might be right, I dont know for sure.

It just always looked to me that a NW7 has a lot less donor hair when I look at the scale:

1.jpg

I dont believe there is a correlation between donor capacity and Norwood level. Logic would suggest more hair = better caliber hair / laxity and subsequent supply, but it's not an exact science. Same reason why one guy can grab 7,000 lifetime grafts and that freak of nature man child Hasson patient had 14,000+. Still can't believe that.

I think this is a great question. When are you done?

I think it is important to remember the goals you had when you started in helping to decide when you are finished. I.e. did you reach your original goal and are done or did you reach your original goal and just wanted more or did you not reach your original goal?

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of number of procedures by percent of patients. I suspect the mean number of procedures is about 2.

Some surgeons do the first procedure in such a manner as to be a "stand alone" in that if you just had one you would be fine and have a good look. Additional procedures can add density, fullness, or more crown work. I think this is a good approach.