Biggest lie clinics tell you? The redness only lasts a few weeks

This is my biggest problem as Im' sure it is with many, I need a large fue session and I have hardly any existing hair to that will grow back to cover the redness. I can't wear a hat, I can probably get out of work without being seen for 10 days to 2 weeks, but then I need to meet with my employees and customers on a daily basis. I can't hide for a month or two without seeing people. If this wasn't a problem I'd have the procedure done already. I've read some people have been prescribed steroids and creams that get rid of the redness but haven't confirmed anything. Like what if you get a few cortisone shots, and steroid pills, and other heavier prescriptions to get rid of redness? Is there prescription, or steroid, or anything that would get rid of the redness right away if it was still apparent after all the scabs were gone after 10 days/two weeks? I just can't do a wait and see, it's great if I'm lucky and I have no redness, but if I'm not lucky it could ruin my life. I'm not pale, but I'm not olive skinned or darker. Other than wearing makeup on my head, with all the advances in the hair restoration industry there has to be some testing or trials to help conceal the redness quicker than many months? Any Drs. want to chime in? Or anyone who had a HT and was prescribed something that really worked, other than aloe vera, and what's already been mentioned? Thanks for the help! I'm looking for the "Magic Pill" I guess.

Have you heard of Toppik??

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks yes of course I have but as I mentioned I have hardly any native hair at all and after two weeks it won't be long enough to add toppings or nanogen to it to conceal the redness. After a few months maybe but if you look at my pics there is hardly anything there.

Then my advice is to buy some womens makeup and see if you can cover it up. I'm into MMA and often come home with bruises or black eyes. So I apply a bit of makeup and its virtually unnoticable

Thanks yes of course I have but as I mentioned I have hardly any native hair at all and after two weeks it won't be long enough to add toppings or nanogen to it to conceal the redness. After a few months maybe but if you look at my pics there is hardly anything there.

From what you describe , you may really struggle to conceal the redness at 2 weeks . There is no magic pill unfortunately . You never know , you may just get really lucky and not suffer from it . However , get a plan B ready ! Only viable options in your case would appear to be a concealer ( couvre or the like ). Any reason you can't wear a hat ?

I'm just at 11 weeks post op and finally the redness is pretty much gone .

I returned to work 17 days post op , and although |I was hoping I could get away with it , ended up wearing a cap for 9 weeks .

Here is a pic of me at day 5 after fue w dr Diep. I started growth hormone injects the day after surgery. The redness is your body healing itself. Raising your igf levels will speed up healing that's why so many pro athletes use Gh after surgery. All of my redness is gone and the scabs are coming off. I plan on using Gh for the next 20-30 days or so. I'm surprised I healed up so fast cause even dr Diep and his staff commented on what a bleeder I was. I needed 2 iv bags after surgery cause of all the blood I lost.

image.thumb.jpeg.77a988b5df5c90f9385c5a9cfcf894b3.jpeg

THanks Matt! Thats really interesting did Dr. Diep recommend the Growth hormone or was it recommended by someone else. Wondering if anyone else has had the same experience in the forum with Growth Hormone for their procedure and any Drs. advice on the subject.

Also Matt would you letting me know how big your procedure was and do you have any before and after pics? Thanks for the input. Oh and is the Growth Hormone a prescription from a

Dr. and is it an actual shot you get or is their a pill form?

Hey man. Dr Diep didn't recommend Gh directly. I have taken Gh before. I had two shoulder surgeries and I took Gh injections after one of the surgeries and it healed up in a month. I didn't take Gh after the 2nd shoulder surgery and it took several months to heal up. Both surgeries were for the same thing-bone spurs. Dr Diep said something to me about acell and Gh increasing healing in older patients and that was another reason i started this. The best way would have been to start it a few days before surgery like I did in the past for my shoulder. It's prescription and an injection. I do have before and after pics. I was debating in starting my own thread but I'm literally 6 days post op so I'll get around to it in the next couple weeks

Raising your igf levels will speed up healing that's why so many pro athletes use Gh after surgery

And which is why I think HGH should be legalized for pro athletes.

Dont over do it though, you can get GH gut or caveman look.

Some bodybuilders dont know when to stop, take too much and permanently change their appearance

biggest lie I think is that on my first consult my dr said I wouldn't need propecia so that's why I proceeded but then after the procedure the dr. said he strongly recommends propecia. I never wanted to take propecia again but now I feel deceived. my gf isn't happy either. been a constant fight

You don't NEED propecia but it helps to maintain the existing hair that you have. In your post, you say he "strongly recommends propecia". I didn't see anything about "you have to take it".

If you were already taking propecia, why would you possibly think you wouldn't need it anymore? Did you think he was going to transplant hair in one area and the rest of the non transplanted area would just magically decide to stick around?

The hair he's transplanted should stay there, it's just the hair that hasn't been transplanted that you're trying to keep.

You don't NEED propecia but it helps to maintain the existing hair that you have. In your post, you say he "strongly recommends propecia". I didn't see anything about "you have to take it".

If you were already taking propecia, why would you possibly think you wouldn't need it anymore? Did you think he was going to transplant hair in one area and the rest of the non transplanted area would just magically decide to stick around?

The hair he's transplanted should stay there, it's just the hair that hasn't been transplanted that you're trying to keep.

I took propecia in the past and STOPPED because of sides. when I had my consult he said I wouldn't need to use propecia at all after and I told him that I wouldn't go through with a ht if I needed to use propecia again. he said don't worry about it. then the morning of my surgery he strongly recommends me take propecia. if he would have told me that he strongly recommends propecia at the time of my first consult I felt that would have been more appropriate. how could his opinion change about the use of propecia in 6 weeks time?

no need for your condescending tone. I don't think there's any "magic" involved in preventing hair loss. I have been fighting hair loss for 23 years dude so I fully know what it entails. if you can't write a constructive comment in my thread then please go elsewhere. its really not appreciated. Trying to belittle me by implying that I am idiot with your magically comment is just being rude. I hope you don't talk to your kids or spouse like that.

• Administrators

I agree propecia just like minoxidil is an adjunct to a hair transplant, it's recommended to anyone who isn't completely bald. If you're skin bald Norwood 6 or 7 there's no benefit, but if you still have hair it's definitely advisable to be on both or at least one.

Matt what's your level of hairloss? I don't take propecia either due to sides, I take nizoral and minoxidil and I've bee able to maintain, maybe you should try that first before committing to propecia, there is also topical fin which has been shown to be effective small studies but nevertheless might be worth a try, hair is important, but a quality life is more important. If you're having side effects hair isn't worth it to me, thats my personal opinion others may disagree it all depends on what you value more hair or sex life and relationships.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I took propecia in the past and STOPPED because of sides. when I had my consult he said I wouldn't need to use propecia at all after and I told him that I wouldn't go through with a ht if I needed to use propecia again. he said don't worry about it. then the morning of my surgery he strongly recommends me take propecia. if he would have told me that he strongly recommends propecia at the time of my first consult I felt that would have been more appropriate. how could his opinion change about the use of propecia in 6 weeks time?

no need for your condescending tone. I don't think there's any "magic" involved in preventing hair loss. I have been fighting hair loss for 23 years dude so I fully know what it entails. if you can't write a constructive comment in my thread then please go elsewhere. its really not appreciated. Trying to belittle me by implying that I am idiot with your magically comment is just being rude. I hope you don't talk to your kids or spouse like that.

I had another response typed up but deleted it, as it wouldn't matter what I had to say anyway.

Sorry you took things as condescending, I just found your response surprising.

Good luck.

I'm not trying to be condescending, however, I find your commentary about being lied to, as quite surprising.

From what I'm reading in your posts is that you're disgruntled about decisions that you've made on your own.

You didn't like taking propecia because of the side effects and you state that the doctor changed his recommendation on the morning of the surgery. Since you'd already told the doctor that you wouldn't go through with a HT if you had to take propecia, why didn't you just leave? You chose to move forward and have the surgery that day, didn't you?

I'm seeing this might take some magic to make you comprehend my point.

Firstly, Where do I say I am disgruntled? I am actually quite happy with my procedure so far, so is my gf. I really liked the doctor I choose and I would recommend him in a heartbeat to anyone.

I can see you are an unethical person and really just looking to argue foolishly on the internet. if you feel like the dr did nothing wrong and I am totally to blame that's your opinion. why wouldn't the dr just tell me at the time of my consult that he recommends propecia after surgery? Absolutely nothing changed in the six weeks from my consult til my surgery date except that I had paid in full.

and in my first post I did say I was told AFTER my surgery so it was a little late to walk out.

hope this helps

I agree propecia just like minoxidil is an adjunct to a hair transplant, it's recommended to anyone who isn't completely bald. If you're skin bald Norwood 6 or 7 there's no benefit, but if you still have hair it's definitely advisable to be on both or at least one.

Matt what's your level of hairloss? I don't take propecia either due to sides, I take nizoral and minoxidil and I've bee able to maintain, maybe you should try that first before committing to propecia, there is also topical fin which has been shown to be effective small studies but nevertheless might be worth a try, hair is important, but a quality life is more important. If you're having side effects hair isn't worth it to me, thats my personal opinion others may disagree it all depends on what you value more hair or sex life and relationships.

I am 45 and I am what you would call a diffuse thinner but really hair line was destroyed from going testosterone therapy a few years ago. I consulted with about 5 drs on this site including the great one from Chicago. each one recommended about 1500 grafts into the hairline. the rest of my hair is pretty decent. my mothers side of the family has all their hair. all the baldness on my fathers side isn't visible until around 50 years of age even though the thinning starts years earlier-we have a lot of hair. my father is 78 and still isn't bald but has thinned out on top.

let me say I am not unhappy at all with my procedure and I really liked my doctor. He had a great bedside manner and was present throughout the whole surgery and did all the extractions himself. I spoke to him throughout most of the day so I know he was there.

I just would have liked to have known before hand about the propecia. is that really too much to ask that after paying money for cosmetic surgery that I should use a medication for life that has given me sexual sides in the past? I really don't think I am really wrong here.

• Administrators
I am 45 and I am what you would call a diffuse thinner but really hair line was destroyed from going testosterone therapy a few years ago. I consulted with about 5 drs on this site including the great one from Chicago. each one recommended about 1500 grafts into the hairline. the rest of my hair is pretty decent. my mothers side of the family has all their hair. all the baldness on my fathers side isn't visible until around 50 years of age even though the thinning starts years earlier-we have a lot of hair. my father is 78 and still isn't bald but has thinned out on top.

let me say I am not unhappy at all with my procedure and I really liked my doctor. He had a great bedside manner and was present throughout the whole surgery and did all the extractions himself. I spoke to him throughout most of the day so I know he was there.

I just would have liked to have known before hand about the propecia. is that really too much to ask that after paying money for cosmetic surgery that I should use a medication for life that has given me sexual sides in the past? I really don't think I am really wrong here.

At 45 years of age, I really don't think it's an absolute necessity in your case, especially if you respond well to other treatment like minoxidil and nizoral. Generally, propecia is recommended for young men who have a lot of hair, but at 45 years old, it would be rare if you actually progressed to a Norwood 6 especially 7 within the coming years. Once you're 45 if you have a lot of hair it's because your hairloss has been steady and not aggressive. I think you could get away with minoxidil and nizoral alone. You may want to consult with a few other doctors to get their opinion, there are certain doctors who really encourage patients to take finasteride at all costs like Dr. Lorenzo, other doctors encourage young guys but are okay with older men 45+ not taking it.

It really depends on your situation, if you've been steadily losing your hair for 20+years why would your hairloss all of the sudden accelerate without any contributing factors like testosterone replacement therapy. Assuming you don't take TRT anymore I don't see why you'd all of the sudden have aggressive hairloss I guess anything is possible but how likely is it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Biggest load of BS me....

1."You can go back to work the next day."

I realistically recommend 2 week MINIMUM! ( longer if you can swing it)

2. "May experience some slight swelling." I looked like an alien creature straight out of Star Trek for a about a week.

3. "Slight redness". My skin appears to be permenantly discolored and bumpy texture. Permenant scarring and damage done to my recipient area.

• Administrators
Biggest load of BS me....

1."You can go back to work the next day."

I realistically recommend 2 week MINIMUM! ( longer if you can swing it)

2. "May experience some slight swelling." I looked like an alien creature straight out of Star Trek for a about a week.

3. "Slight redness". My skin appears to be permenantly discolored and bumpy texture. Permenant scarring and damage done to my recipient area.

Biolizard nice to see you posting again, how is everything so far? you must be at what 6 months by now, do you still hate the results?

View my thread

I agree that if there is very little native hair left, it does not make much sense to take low dose finasteride but I do not necessarily agree with the age thing.

I was a Norwood 5 when I first started taking finasteride in 1996. My crown was thin but not slick bald. My grandfather was a true class 6 with a bald slick crown.

I am still taking low dose finasteride at the age of 61 because I don't want to risk my crown getting any thinner. It's in the same shape it was in 1996 so I feel pretty lucky.

I also have a PSA test done on a regular basis to see if there any changes to my prostrate.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY