Considering FUE and Need Advice

I am in my early 20's and considering FUE to bring my temples and overall hairline down. I am currently around a NW3 and have been on 1mg of Fin for about 5 months now.

The recession is really bothering me at this point and I would shave it down if it was an option. The reason I am not able to shave it down is because of a large lump on the top of my skull. The doctor informed me that the only way to get rid of this lump is to have a very expensive and risky removal surgery or get very expensive implants to make the lump less noticeable. (I would like to put these surgeries off for as long as possible due to the risks involved)

To me, the logical answer is to get FUE to bring my hairline down. I could manage this for as long as possible and if the time comes down the road, I can get the skull surgery / implants. I think this makes sense financially and cosmetically.

If I decide on FUE, it would be a year down the road at the earliest, putting me in my mid 20's.

If anybody has advice or previous experiences with FUE at a young age, please don't be afraid to share your story.

Thank you everybody for your time and help.

hey buddy, ive said this before and I will say it again, FUE is designed for someone like you, why? get in early avoid the depression stage of going bald, do a little by little fix up and if as you already feel will want to shave down in later life, you can do so with virtually zero scarring, you have the perfect attitude and goal towards your hairloss.

many Dr's and other guys here will completely disagree with me, but I stand by my word, if I knew about FUE earlier I would have dived right in and got it done.

FUE donor area is alot less than FUT so I thinks its best to get the most out of your hair when you're younger when looks mean more to the opposite sex or same sex, i see too many times guys are told to wait and wait and wait , see what NW level you will go do. NAH i disagree, FUE gives what probably is the enviable hair loss a longer period of time. anyway Im rambling on

all the best buddy

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

• Administrators

Well I got my first FUE at 29 best decision I ever made in my life, I was an advanced Norwood normally most people would recommend FUT for high norwoods, but I think if you like to wear your hair short or may ever want to shave your head in the future go FUE, take a look at Seth's scars, they're not noticeable at all, light hair light skin best combo for FUE, my scars show a little more but not bad I wear my hair at a 1 guard no one can tell a thing. There is more risk involved with FUE, so choose your surgeon wisely, as long as you do you'll be good, I've had two FUE's totaling close to 4,000 grafts, and honestly I don't think my result would've been any better had I gone FUT, biggest difference would've been I wouldn't be able to wear my hair short. Nothing against FUT it's a great procedure it's whatever best fits you.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Email Dr Konior as he has a facial plastic surgery background and will know what to do and not to do with both hair and the lump on top of your head.

Best of luck.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I'm in the conservative camp so would advise you put off getting a transplant just yet. You've only been on Fin for five months. Minox can be a great regrowth drug and you maximise it's potential taking it with fin, although it's a liquid you have to put on your head everyday, so it's not everybodies cup of tea.

If you do get a transplant don't go too low with the hairline is my advise, you may be early 20s now, but the time goes so fast and a NW2 hairline maybe the norm now around your age and social group, but a lot of guys start to receed or thin quickly when they enter their 30s...

Also if you get a transplant, make sure you stay on propecia, otherwise you will be left with closed temples and hairline but nothing behind it, will look a bit odd, but if you go FUE you can just shave it all short, but remember that everybody scars different, some better than others, much less noticeable than a strip scar though, people can't miss that if you cut the back down to anything below a grade 3.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Hi. I would prefer to see your scalp. You are motivated by hairline augmentation, so you may be fine if you pursue this with absolutely conservative goals. Practically, you can be a candidate but caution is imperative as you research your best options. Surgery should not be your first option.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

TTFM1234,

What is your family history with hair loss for the males on both sides, meaning, maternal and paternal. What is the most advanced class as noted on the Norwood scale?

I would advise you for now to wait and see how you respond to Propecia or another form of low dose finasteride before moving forward with a procedure. You want to give it at least one full year and then evaluate.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY