Hairline FUE with Dr Bhatti Nov 2015

jamesaus

jamesaus, does the no-shave technique mean that the donor area is not shaved? In the pics your donor area seems shaved. Btw, I'm curious to know if you think the no-shave technique was worth it? How does your scalp feel now and how's it healing up? I'm following your progress. Good luck with your growth !

jamesaus, does the no-shave technique mean that the donor area is not shaved? In the pics your donor area seems shaved. Btw, I'm curious to know if you think the no-shave technique was worth it? How does your scalp feel now and how's it healing up? I'm following your progress. Good luck with your growth !

Hi starscream,

The donor area does get shaved (in small patches) in the no shave technique. The idea is to have the hair above "cover" the bald patch so that it is not visible anymore.

We do get a lot of Patients that do not want their donor area to be shaved and the no shave technique makes perfect sense for those Patients. The only limitation is that the no shave technique is possible only for "smaller" cases.....(up to 2000 graft transplants)

YouTube link to a Dr. Bhatti no-shave Patient case:

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hi Starscream

The "no shave" means the donor area is shaved only - everything else is left as is. I thought I'd try this as I liked the idea of being able to cover the recipient area by growing my hair on top a bit longer, while the recipient area is filling in. So yes the back of my head is shaved but the rest is normal - looks a bit weird at first, but as of Sunday when I get a haircut to even it all out, it speeds the "back to normal" look assuming you don't normally shave your head.

Ill be posting pics in a few days - most of the scabbing has come off now

Regards,

Nathan

California,

Thanks for the response.

In this case, the whole back of the heads seems to be shaved, not just patches where extraction happened. Why so?. Also, how about the recipient area if the area is not slick bald ?

Hi starscream,

We seem to be hijacking jamesaus's thread here:) Sorry jamesaus.

In regards to your question, in the no shave technique, we trim hair in stripes in the donor scalp that has hair over the stripes to cover it. You can see the donor being shaved in stripes in the initial part of the video that I had posted.

The recipient area may or may not be trimmed if the hair around are long enough to cover it. Some patients insist that the hair is not trimmed at all but here we do not promise high density packing in those cases.

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

California,

Thanks for the response.

In this case, the whole back of the heads seems to be shaved, not just patches where extraction happened. Why so?. Also, how about the recipient area if the area is not slick bald ?

The back and sides of my hair are kept very short anyhow, so dr Bhatti just shaved a section large enough to take the grafts from. The hair has already grown back long enough for me to resume my normal #2 on the back and sides

POST OP 2 WEEK UPDATE

No real issues. Scabs came off around days 11-12. with some occasional hairs attached but no visible follicles. Overall it seems to be growing and healing well. My only concern (as I'm sure many patients at my stage experience) is the density - it seems the more I stare at it, the more I worry the density may not be high enough to give me a solid hairline that will blend with my naturally thick hair. Maybe this is just me staring too long at it. I've included photos taken both with flash and no flash for comparison. I assume some hairs have been lost but I'd say 90+ plus transplanted hairs have remained thus far, the shedding phase has yet to begin.

Opinions welcome

FullSizeRender-2.jpg.bc2a2adf04bc2b54793ebe655adb1fb3.jpg

IMG_5126.jpg.6dcd0c39df6e4707bd2aff4e993e7147.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg.dc7ce36af6ab00af9ee2cfb523e1bc51.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg.9bc4f973fc00e702abf87727dd3b569d.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg.afa18c25da345df7263e39cad66dc42b.jpg

I think the density is pretty good and you'll have a good hairline. Of course it will not be as thick as the hairline you had when you were 18, but if the doctor has done a good job with placing the grafts, it should blend well with the rest of your hair. Did you and the doc discuss this during consultation ?

By the way, Are you able to carry your pre-op hairstyle after the no-shave technique?

• 1 month later...

Hi jamesaus

Thank you for writing your story so far. It was very informative and helpfull.

I have booked a 2 days apointment with Dr Bhatti in March and also stay at the AB's Hotel. I will also be travelling alone.

It seems like after 10 days the donor area is almost healed and you dont have to wear the bandana anymore? I am thinking about maybe staying at the hotel for this period before going back to Scandinavia.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

3 month update

Things have been going pretty well. I actually had about 20-30% of the hairs I'd guess just keep growing and not fall out at all. New hairs are coming through, and while its clearly alot thinner than my native hair at the moment, for 3 months im pretty happy.

As far as covering the procedure post transplant, I'm fortunate in that I have thick hair on top behind the receeded area. I've been able to wear a number 1.5 on the back and sides and keep it longish on top and no one has been able to spot or pick the transplant from about 3 weeks post op. From 2 weeks I was out without a hat on and no one noticed without close inspection.

Only issue has been persistent dandruff and continuing redness in the recipient area. I believe the minoxidil is causing the redness there due to increased blood flow so that isn't bothering me, and the irritation from the dandruff is also contributing. I've been using nizoral 2% 1-2 a week but might try something else soon. Its keeping it under control but not eliminating it.

Here are some photos

IMG_5867.JPG.409371c0a42a16377aca6f141025d5eb.JPG

IMG_5853.JPG.6914cc5b96762d893e00fc3849dbdb27.JPG

IMG_5871.JPG.0515b6f6ff21eb6032bce8f085674569.JPG

IMG_5854.JPG.3b2f6e56c746692e62f573d380a155ab.JPG

And a silly photo from a medical school party about 2.5 months post op shows how well I've been able to disguise the transplant. Excuse the pout haha

IMG_5790.thumb.jpg.f338b48f9a614c387f20066c8344be62.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm travelling from Gold Coast to see Dr Bhatti in Sept this year. I'm also doing the 'no shave' technique for the same reasons as yourself.

I'm keen to see an update with some recent photos.

Thanks!