Hairline FUE with Dr Bhatti Nov 2015

jamesaus

Hello all,

Also a long time lurker on this forum. Creating this thread to share my HT experience with you all

About me

I am 26 years old. Final year medical student in Australia. First noticed temple hairline recession at 21 years old, got worse between 21-23, and has been stable for the past few years on finasteride 1mg daily. I have thick hair behind the recession and its therefore well disgused; some people don't know I've had recession at all, but its probably a Norwood III. Its bothered me for some time, and me feeling has been I'll either do something about it now, or never. I say that because once I qualify as a doctor I'll be pursuing surgical training and doubt I'll have the time to pursue this again. So I decided, on my final university holidays, to take the plunge and get it sorted. I have approximately 2 months before I need to be back on the wards, so it gives me time to recover and hopefully the procedure will not be so obvious at that stage

Choice of surgeon

Cost was a limiting factor for me. I am a student still, so I can't afford the Australian surgeons ($8-12 AUD/graft FUE) and their reputation/results is lacking. I also wanted FUE as I wear my hair quite short on the back and sides (like number 1 short) Looking overseas, there were several potential options, but I thought Dr Bhatti more recent results were very good and his price was competitive. I also liked his manner on the forums. He strikes me as an honest surgeon who consistently seeks to improve and better his practice. His reputation on this board is good, and his cost was within my budget, so I went ahead and contacted him. He provided an estimate of about 2000 grafts which works out at about $4000 AUD.

Depature to India

It was all a bit whirlwind as I'd organised for November 21st only a month in advance. Then I had exams at university, and left just a few days after for India. Not much time to think about the upcoming HT!

The flight from AUS was uneventful, but on arriving in Dehli at 11:30pm I was almost scammed on my way to the hotel. I got a prepaid taxi voucher (as a Indian friend had advised) and on walking out of the terminal a young man said "prepaid taxi?" to which I foolishly said "yes" and he took the voucher from my hand and said "this way"

I sort of felt something was off, but thought maybe the taxi drivers did this in India so I followed him, and he led me to an unmarked car. Now I was a bit uncomfortable so I said "this is pre-paid right? I won't pay any extra money at all." and the guy was like "yeah pre-paid, no extra charge"

Anyway, I probably should have turned back here but he had my voucher, but stupidly I got in and he drove me toward my hotel. Along the way he told me the address I had given him was wrong, and he "called the hotel". He passed me the phone and the "hotel manager" informed me due to unforseen circumstances my booking had to be cancelled. The driver was also driving me through a really slummy area I think to frighten me. The driver said he could take me into Delhi city to find another hotel.

At this stage I knew what was happening. I'm not an idiot, even if being tired and bleary eyed I'd allowed myself to get drawn into a private car at the airport. I told him to take me to the original hotel as planned, or to take me back to the airport. I figured better to lose the voucher (250 rupee) then let this guy take me on a hike to the city. He tried to argue but realised pretty quickly I wouldn't budge and ended up dropping me at my hotel which had my room ready without any issues.

Lesson: When arriving, get a prepaid taxi voucher and put it in your pocket before exiting the airport. Then go to the cab rank and take a marked taxi. Do not let randoms approach you and grab your luggage or voucher and take you to their 'taxi'

Anyway, the next day the clinic had organised a driver to collect me from my hotel. He was an hour late, but I wasn't in any rush so it wasn't an issue. Fair warning to all who are used to road rules and speed limits; india's roads are choatic and scary. The driver didn't speak english and although a very talented driver, absolutely hooned his way to chandigarh through traffic. I never felt in serious danger, it was clear he had done this many times before, but others might have felt differently. We also blew a tyre along the way, and though not sharing any language between use, envoked the man code of grunts and gestures to jointly change the spare wheel on.

I arrived unharmed to ABs hotel in chandigarh, which is quite nice. After getting settled in I went for a walk around sector 17 shopping district, then back to the hotel for dinner. The room service menu is huge and delicious.

My procedure is scheduled for Satruday, and I arrived in Chandigarh Wednesday (yesterday)

Today I spent the day at the rock garden and Sukhna lake and rose garden. Walked everywhere on foot as I am young and healthy and like to explore and get lost! Met some friendly Indian univeristy students at the rock garden who I spent the afternoon with, and lost count of the amount of people who wanted a photo with me. No idea why. Perhaps they have never seen a white ginger before?

In hindsight I probably should have gone to Armritsar today to see the Golden Temple which is apparently spectacular; you need a full day to do it as its about 3-4 hours away. I had planned to do it tomorrow but need to see Dr Bhatti in the afternoon which will cut my time too short. A shame.

Anyhow, pre op meeting with Dr Bhatti is tomorrow, then procedure Saturday. I'll post some photos of the current hairline shortly, and keep you up to date with what happens tomorrow and during and after the procedure Saturday.

I then plan to check in monthly with update photos.

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for sharing your HT journey so far. I am happy and excited for you. You have followed the proper procedure here.....gotten on meds and researched well before making the call on this. The HT procedure with Dr. Bhatti will definitely restore your hairline and your confidence.

I am so sorry that you had to deal with this cab driver on arriving in India. Our Clinic usually advises the Patients to take a domestic flight from New Delhi to Chandigarh (about 40 minutes flight at a cost of around $100) or we arrange for our Driver to receive the Patients at the New Delhi airport and drive them down to Chandigarh. That way, the risk of shady cab drivers is ruled out. Again, I feel really bad for what you had to go through. India is a very warm and welcoming country and no one deserves to go through what you did.....it kind of spoils the first impression.

In regards to the traffic on Indian roads, you are absolutely right. It is "interesting" and might be a little surprising to someone visiting for the first time. But then, I found the traffic almost as "interesting" in some European countries also.....I guess, goes with the uniqueness of the country:)

Our Driver, Sachin, is a very safe driver and I have had so many of our Patients praise him for his driving skills and good nature.

I wish you all the best with your upcoming procedure. You are in very good hands. Please do keep sharing your updates and experiences. That is always beneficial for other HT Patients around the world.

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hi California,

Yes Sachin is a very good driver, I certainly would have crashed in all that weaving traffic. Its just a little eye opening for the uninitiated!

In regard to the taxi, I arrived at the airport late at night, so needed to stay a night before either a flight or pickup was possible. Just the way it worked out unfortunately. But I am unscathed and have enjoyed the very much enjoyed the hospitality of the Indian people since.

Regards,

Nathan

Edited by jamesaus

Dear Nathan,

My best wishes for your procedure. I am surprised it has been scheduled on a Saturday.

I am seeing Dr. Bhatti for a first consultation in two weeks' time.

I hope the rest of your stay in India in uneventful and smooth and so is your recovery and re-growth.

Regards,

MfM

Thansk for sharing your very informative experience thus far! Dr. Bhatti is going to fix you right up. I'm looking forward to your future posts. Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Just to clarify - the Driver I had from delhi to Chandigarh was a cab driver hired by the clinic, not Sachin - Sachin wasn't available at this time. No wonder I was confused by all the amazing reports of Sachin, as I thought this guy was a little reckless / not that welcoming.

After speaking with Dr Bhatti I realised the clinic can in advance organise Sachin or another of their drivers to collect you at any time from the airport. The agent I dealt with in Australia didn't make this clear. This would have been a better arrangment and saved me some hassle. So if you get your HT with Dr Bhatti either fly to Chandigarh or organise in advance for Sachin or another clinic driver to collect you directly from the airpot

Meeting with Dr Bhatti

Met with Dr Bhatti this afternoon. Consistent with other reports on this forum he is very welcoming and kind. One gets the impression he is confident and capable in his craft. He drew a hairline which I thought was great, then revised it slightly after speaking for a while and asked me to consider a slightly more peaked hairline due to my 'long face'. Tonight I will make a final decision on the hairline.

I was asked to make payment in advance based on 2000 grafts which I did, and given the medications for to take tonight prior to the procedure.

Procedure scheduled to begin tomorrow morning at 7am.

Dr Bhatti also helped me organise a driver for Sunday to take me to the Golden temple - very kind of him!

Thanks MfM, David and Calvin for your well wishes. I feel I am in good hands also.

Edited by jamesaus

Operation day

Back at the hotel now resting. Here's a quick summary of the procedure today. Post op photos to follow.

Arrival at 7am, got changed, cannulated, given antibiotics then taken in to see Dr Bhatti who drew the hairline again and took some pre op photos.

After this was taken into the surgical suite which whilst small was modern and clean and well appointed. Dr Bhatti had agreed to a no shave technique (included in the cost of the premium package at darling buds (99 INR / graft) and so only the back of my head was shaved.

Harvesting took about an hour or so, maybe longer. The local was mildly painful as you'd expect, nothing to worry about.

Third and final hairline was drawn; was a little hard to examine lying down with a mirror but by this point after having seen Dr Bhatti draw two hairlines already I was comfortable he'd get it right. I had gone against his advice a bit by requesting a flatter hairline - while I agree a bit of a peak looks good with narrower faces like mine, most of the hairstyles I like involve sweeping the hair to the side or back which tend to look better with a straighter hairline so thats what I went for, for better or worse!

The incisions in the forehead were preceeded by a mildly uncomfortable local anaesthetic, and were over quickly and painlessly from that point.

The final part: Implanting. Done by skilled technicians who work fast and competently. For me this was the worst part. I am tall and my back often gets sore, and despite the techs attempting several times to readjust me, I just couldn't get comfortable and endured about 2.5 hours of an aching back. No big deal though, my luck for being tall and having a shitty back! I was relieved when they announced it was finished though.

After the procedure I was given lunch, and here is where the only concern of the day came. I got dressed carefully into a buttoned shirt and am very sure I did not knock my head or lean my head down. After lunch I noticed the techs were a bit concerned when they examined by dressing, which freaked me out a bit. Apparently I was bleeding a bit from the right side and everyone kept asking me if I knocked my head, which I'm sure I didn't. Dr Bhatti was I assume busy with another patient for some time, but eventually 3 hours or so later he examined the recipient area and noted that a few grafts had dislodged slightly somehow (not come out, just dislodged) This was rectified by sliding them back into place and the bleeding stopped. Bit scary. The leading hypothesis is that I ate too vigorously for lunch and the movement of my brow and jaw muscles cause the dislodgement. So remember to be SUPER careful for the first few hours post op.

After that Dr Bhatti went through the post care routine with me and I'm not back at the hotel.

Overall thoughts:

The following is my truthful impression of the clinic and Dr Bhatti post procedure. Bear in mind I have worked in theatre for some time myself. I think the clinic is efficiently run, and the staff are well trained. The hygeine is good and the facilities are good. Dr Bhatti is clearly skilled at what he does. He is friendly and approachable with questions etc.

I do note that he is quite busy through the day, as you'd expect. While he does all the important parts; harvesting and slit incisions and hairline etc - don't expect him to be physically around for most of the day. This isn't really a negative, but I suppose all of us who have transplants experience the anxiety on the day of the 'was this the right decision, will anything go wrong, is the hairline correct, etc etc' so at times I did feel a little apprehensive and at post procedure when I was bleeding I remember feeling slightly dissapointed when the staff did not ask Dr Bhatti to come examine more promptly. I was wondering whether grafts had come out, something major was wrong etc. In the end Dr Bhatti quickly reassured me and fixed the issue. And I don't think theres anything he could change really, he has two patients to care for so can't be there all the time. The only improvement I would suggest is that if there is a post op complication, staff ought to notify him to at least pop his head in and check the patient, if only for the patients psychological benefit.

The other criticism I have is realtively minor: During the pre procedure paperwork I was given the consents etc to fill out, but really they just pointed and told me to sign here and here and here and I wasn't given any real opportunity to read anything. I suppose I could have asked to be given more time to read and they would have obliged I'm sure, but still as a practice I think the patient should be left with the consent forms for 10 minutes to enable a thorough reading. By this time I know Dr Bhatti's reputation and am confident in his clinic, but if I had been less so this would have been a bit offputting.

Overall Dr Bhatti is a very very nice man and a very good surgeon. You can tell he has trained his team to clockwork precision. You can tell he cares about the results he is achieving. It does feel well oiled at times, like you're just the next head on a conveyor belt of transplants (which is the truth I suppose) but I never felt the business aspect of Dr Bhattis practice was the priority over the patient, which was really reassuring.

Obviously way to early to comment on results, but at this stage I'd highly reccommend the clinic to family and friends.

Regards,

Nathan

POST OP PHOTOS

As you can see due to the bleeding they aren't as nice and clean as other post op photos I've seen. Hoping this will have no effect on eventual outcome. Other than that I think it looks good!

IMG_4977.jpg.af8ab025faf07b8cc245640133558671.jpg

IMG_4976.jpg.01f125146db11694fd15459a9ecd7ba1.jpg

IMG_4972.jpg.973abdbe3281966f302ea9ca6ad5e389.jpg

IMG_4979.jpg.13b81f0d7aec3777f41b320d132c473c.jpg

IMG_4966.jpg.cc7d992097d21a0b62220c33166de32e.jpg

IMG_4969.jpg.95ef942d7e4ab73234dd6a911567ff0a.jpg

• Administrators

Interesting, I agree if there's a complication the doctor should be immediately notified, however, not sure if he was in the middle of surgery, I'm sure the other patient would feel bad if he just stopped mid surgery to leave for an undisclosed time, that's why I think one surgery a day is best, but with popularity not sure if this is possible. You have valid criticisms and I think the clinic could benefit from improving in these constructive criticisms, as someone who's interested in having a procedure with Dr. Bhatti, I think potential patients benefit from the doctor improving in these aspects.

However, I agree with Dr. Bhattis assessment of the hairline, rounder the face the more straight the hairline, narrower the face the more arched the hairline, it's just more of what looks better aesthetically. But at the end of the day you should get the hairline you want.

I've found Dr. Bhatti has conducted himself in a proper way on this forum, and from your assessment of him it seems to back up my feelings on him that he's a genuine Doctor, I hope you have good growth cheers.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

HTsoon

I agree it was likely Dr Bhatti was mid procedure. I'm sure if the staff had been very concerned they would have called him. But nonetheless, it was an anxious few hours while you're bleeding from your recipient area post procedure and no one is telling you wants going on.

As for the hairline, we'll have to wait and see I guess. I know a few friends of mine with similar narrow faces and straight hairlines who look great - I think the hairstyle itself plays a large role. And even if it isn't perfect, it has to be better than what I had before haha.

Anyway if it grows dense and blends well, I'll be a happy chappy. I also think if you look closely theres nice randomness to the edge, so I think providing I get good growth it'll look nice and natural.

All the best. Work looks good. If it were me I would have asked for Dr. Bhatti's presence at the earliest feasible time once the minor issue was noted. Overall I think you had positive experience. I have percieved Dr. Bhatti as a very ethical doctor and he would have notified you if he felt there was anything odd. Prayers for your great results.

HTsoon

I agree it was likely Dr Bhatti was mid procedure. I'm sure if the staff had been very concerned they would have called him. But nonetheless, it was an anxious few hours while you're bleeding from your recipient area post procedure and no one is telling you wants going on.

As for the hairline, we'll have to wait and see I guess. I know a few friends of mine with similar narrow faces and straight hairlines who look great - I think the hairstyle itself plays a large role. And even if it isn't perfect, it has to be better than what I had before haha.

Anyway if it grows dense and blends well, I'll be a happy chappy. I also think if you look closely theres nice randomness to the edge, so I think providing I get good growth it'll look nice and natural.

My Thread: 

HI Nathan,

We don't know each other but as Friday evening came around here in California, Saturday dawned in Chandigarh and I was mindful you would be going in for a potentially life changing procedure, as I would be doing so soon.

I didn't expect you to post such a detailed account the same day. The fact that you wrote such a coherent and detailed post the same evening says something about the operation. So thank you for that and of course many congratulations are in order.

Sorry about the bleeding and all that you experienced. It all must have been rather unsettling, and no doubt the thought ' Did I make the right decision' that you mentioned earlier must have crossed your mind multiple times. I am hoping it would not affect the overall procedure and the result at all and everything would be quite normal. The worst part is now behind you and you can look forward to your recovery and growth as you would expect.

Thanks for posting the post-op photos. Bleeding apart, the hair-line looks good. I am happy that your overall experience was good and after everything, you have stated it in a more positive way, for the rest of us.

I believe, like all other patients of Dr. Bhatti, you can expect a very good growth, it's a matter of time.

MfM

POST OP DAY 1

Hey all,

Sorry been out all day at the golden temple / Indian Pakistan border for the border ceremony. Highly reccommend!

Final graft count was 2095

Graft makeup was as follows

413 singles

997 doubles

685 triples

Pretty happy with that - Dr Bhatti mentioned the grafts were very healthy

As for post procedure day 1, I literally went to the clinic for a shampoo and post care instructions then jumped in one of the clinic drivers cars (Vikas - top bloke) and headed off for a 14 hour day of sightseeing. No pain or discomfort from the procedure. The only dicey part was at the Pakistani / Indian border, one of the army guys patting my down suddenly patted down my head (I forgot I was wearing a bandana / cloth head covering that they would want to feel) and his hands luckily seemed to miss the planted area thank god. That was a bit of a fright.

Also I forgot to take my saline spray along with me (you're meant to spray every 2 hours on post op days 1-4) but I don't think this was a big issue as the spraying is meant to help deal with any ooze from the wound, and my recipient site seems pretty dry now. Gave it a shampoo this afternoon and all looks well.

Last night after the procedure was fine, the only issue was the recliner chair at my room at ABs hotel isn't that comfortable to sleep in (I'm tall) and I only managed to snatch an hour or two before heading to the bed and lying on my back with my head propped up on pillows. It was a pretty crap, restless sleep. I think I was super stressed about rolling on my side so I never fully relaxed / kept waking every hour to check my position. I think I managed 3-4 hours sleep tops. But no big deal, snoozed a bit in the car on the way to the Golden Temple and still had a great day. I have the feeling the grafts are more firmly set now so will hopefully feel less stressed tonight about them coming loose.

Will report back at the 1 week mark and 2 week mark, then one month and monthly thereafter, unless there are further questions in the meantime.

Cheers everyone

After about a week you are good even if someone pats or touches those grafts as per HT gurus. Jealous of you man, just came back from India. Was In New Delhi and Bangalore and missing India already.

All the best and happy growing.

My Thread: 

@jamesaus,

Did the doc say it's okay to go sightseeing on day 1 post op ? Sounds too risky to me! Glad you had a good time though.

Some questions :

1. What's the process of finalizing the hairline?

2. Do you sleep with your head resting right on the donor area and does it hurt ? Did Dr. Bhatti suggest you sleep in some particular way (sideways, on a recliner, etc) ?

@jamesaus,

Did the doc say it's okay to go sightseeing on day 1 post op ? Sounds too risky to me! Glad you had a good time though.

Some questions :

1. What's the process of finalizing the hairline?

2. Do you sleep with your head resting right on the donor area and does it hurt ? Did Dr. Bhatti suggest you sleep in some particular way (sideways, on a recliner, etc) ?

Hi,

There is always some risk, but Dr Bhatti was happy for me to go sightseeing and even booked the driver for me. Just cover your head with the bandana and be careful not to bang it!

1) The hairline is drawn the day before the procedure, the morning of, and again right before the incisions are made. Each drawing is a chance to refine/discuss with Dr Bhatti

2) Yes, first night Dr Bhatti suggests sleeping in a recliner with head propped up. The donor area is still very numb from the procedure so there is no pain, and you'll be given some painkillers for the next few days. Overall I've found sleep to be tricky as you're constantly worried about rolling over/damaging grafts, but there are various strategies for this (pillows on either side etc). I'm at day 4 post op now and the grafts are feeling more secure, so in the next 2-3 days I will probably start sleeping on my side again.

Cheers,

Nathan

Overall I've found sleep to be tricky as you're constantly worried about rolling over/damaging grafts

yeah its a bit of a stress, if you've never had a HT use a travel pillow and I also found wedging a pillow under my chin helps, the first night is the worse Dr Bhatti wants you to apply saline water every 20mins, making sleep almost impossible, lucky the hotel had a great movie channel

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

Fantastic insight mate!

I live in Melbourne and am in the midst of discussions with Dr Bhatti for a HT in Dec.

Advice on Seeking HT - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients

Will have some questions for you through the next few weeks mate.

Was just wondering, now that u are 4 odd days in, how does the transplant area look? The reason I ask is, I was planning on visiting some family in Kolkata after the HT but didnt want to alarm grandmas and nephews with a Gory looking head

Keep up the updates mate

Much appreciated

Jamesaus, Congratulations on your HT with Dr Bhatti, hopefully this time next year you will resemble a proper surfer dude!

As long as you are reasonably careful then there's really not a lot you can't do post FUE HT.

Whilst there, check out the Elante Mall sports bar on the top floor, you should be alright now to relax with the odd beer or 2 or 3...............

Enjoy the rest of your stay and thanks for reminding me of my own experience.

Cheers

Dr Bhatti FUE Oct 2014 3305 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178931-my-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-oct-2014-a.html

Thanks everyone for the kind words and input

1 week post op update

Ok, so here is my 1 week update. I am back in Australia now - the flight wasn't too bad, just wore the bandana and didn't have too much trouble through customs. Had to lift it momentarily in Delhi but thats all.

No other real issues: Just a waiting game on the crust to start coming off. Look very odd at the moment due to the no shave technique, but the plan is to at the 2 week mark get the back and sides blended and the top trimmed a bit and then swept down to cover the recipient site

Here are the one week photos

IMG_5073-2.jpg.aa87a30fafd04181c9a1102660b7330e.jpg

IMG_5076.jpg.9c6dc4399f8e84c7bc99f27ecb029bf5.jpg

IMG_5074.jpg.101f3c2711c36e02e8d7513b6dbbbd02.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg.c2124114d3599f30244e8a67a0233e68.jpg