*PHOTOS* How an HT should look post-op - Dr Blake Bloxham, Great Neck, NY

We recently had a patient come in for staple removal 11 days after his procedure. The patient followed our post-operative instructions religiously, and it clearly showed. We tell patients that the transplanted area should look like a "clean buzz cut" after the initial swelling and "pinkness" goes down, and I thought this was a perfect example.

Here are the details:

The patient is a diffuse patterned thinner, and we needed to steal as much hair as we could via FUT to cover a large area of scalp.

357rdq8.jpg

68wz09.jpg

We ended up with 2,500 grafts and utilized it conservatively to balance density and a large area requiring coverage. Here are the post-ops:

14b21zn.jpg

v65h7b.jpg

ir3uig.jpg

And here is how he looked on staple removal day (post-op day 11):

afh7j5.jpg

2pydmhi.jpg

u8n53.jpg

As you can see, it looks like a nice, clean buzz cut on a regular head of hair. This is what we aim for! However, many times patients are apprehensive about cleaning the donor or recipient area because they fear it will damage the grafts. But this isn't true. We generally see better overall growth and a much less stressful post-operative period in patients who wash as instructed and keep the transplanted region clean.

Hopefully everyone finds this interesting -- and maybe it will even serve as a reminder to follow those post-operative instructions "to a T."

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Nice post, the dude got no redness whatsoever, a good healer and a good cleaner!

I'm going for my 2nd HT on 1st December, i will remember to clean and not be too soft to loosen the scabs.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

The only thing that I think should be clarified is that patients are frequently (usually, I think) much more red than this guy at this point post-op, and that's totally normal. I just wouldn't want anyone who's red at three, six weeks to freak out because this guy looks untouched at less than two weeks.

Pet and Win,

Thanks for the kind words.

And you both bring up a good point with respect to the "redness." I always give patients the following information about the redness during my post operative discussion at the end of each case: the redness generally lasts a few days to a few weeks. Some patients -- like the one above -- have almost no pinkness or redness 48 hours after surgery; other patients may have some slight pinkness for up to 3-4 months. All of this is considered normal.

I've noticed less redness in patients with "tanner" skin tones -- Indian Americans, South American patients, et cetera; and it's probably the most prevalent in light skinned Caucasian patients. These kinds of unique physiological factors probably play the biggest role, but I do see less redness in patients who follow the post-operative instructions closely. It probably has something to do with decreasing the overall "excitement" in the transplanted area and subsequently decreasing the body's own inflammatory response.

Overall, we seem to achieve pretty reasonable amounts of "pinkness" with minimally invasive techniques and thorough post-operative instructions -- and I think all patients want to minimize this as much as possible!

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Our chair is always open for the Voxman!

Dolph,

Anti-inflammatory meds as in "NSAIDs" (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like ibuprofen or naproxen, or anti-inflammatory like steroids? I don't think an oral NSAID would help too much with the redness, but a steroid might. However, I don't think many would recommend using a lot of steroids in the post-operative period because they can halt normal healing as well.

I think washing and keeping it clean, and using things like saline sprays -- if your clinic recommends it -- would help more.

Keep in mind that surgical technique (small blades, properly trimmed grafts, et cetera) and physiology play a huge role in the post-operative redness too.

• Administrators

This is the first patient I've seen with substantial hairloss from feller and bloxham, Norwood 6 possibly Norwood 7 in the future, I'm eager to see his results, keep us posted on the progress.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

JohnBoy,

Yes, the goal was to balance density and coverage over a large area back to the bridge in the first procedure, and then re-evaluate and determine our game plan for work in the midscalp and crown during a second procedure -- and maybe even a third to really finish the crown or refine any other regions after the bulk of the work is done. This will probably be done via FUT and then later mFUE -- based on the patient's donor characteristics.

Hairthere,

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Jesse and Bunsen,

Thanks for the kind words.

• 10 months later...
  • Administrators

Dr. Bloxham, can you post some updates? I believe this patient should be close to the 12th month mark right?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

HTsoon,

Impeccable timing! This patient literally came in today for a 12 month follow-up. I didn't even know he was coming in until I saw the schedule before starting surgery this morning. Couldn't believe it.

He looks great and is very happy. As you said earlier, he is progressing to a NW VII pattern, so this still remains a very strategic situation. He now wants to do as much of the rest of the midscalp and crown as we can (despite the fact that we were really walking that fine line between density and coverage here, he's very pleased with the density in the areas we worked). I think I can do another FUT of similar size on him (approximately 2,500 grafts), fill the midscalp at similar density, and then strategically work with his natural whorl pattern in the crown to place some grafts back there (loaded on one side) and give him the ability to get some good coverage in the posterior parts of the scalp with some length and styling.

I'll put together his pictures and throw them up when the case is done today.

Again, thank you all for the continued interest.

• Administrators

Thanks for the Response Dr. Bloxham, these are the cases that really intrigue me, because it really illustrates the importance of strategy and planning. I agree with the plan as well, as I had a similar plan, I chose to strategically place maximum density at the top of the crown weighed from left to right to really maximize the styling and illusion, I'm lucky enough to be maintaining the lower portion of my crown with the meds I take, I'm very interested to see his 12 month photos. I'm also interested to know whether or not this patient is on any form of medication like Finasteride or Minoxidil?

View my thread

• Administrators
HTSoon, wondering what type of meds you're taking that you've had some success with. If you don't mind me asking.

Sure i've updated my signature with my most current regiment, I've discontinued using the dermaroller, Dr. Diep advised me that if you're to aggressive you could actually cause trauma to the follicles and cause a shed similar to shock loss.

View my thread

As requested, below are some 12 month update photos on this patient (just taken today!).

He's definitely progressed to a clear NW VII pattern now. These pictures are presented as a way to showcase the results of how you can really make a big cosmetic difference in patients with limited donor and advanced hair loss if the grafts are utilized strategically and wisely. Obviously he does have open scalp behind the transplanted areas, but I wanted to really focus on the transformation here.

And, as I said before, he's going to come back for another to do the midscalp at the same density and try to get some grafts into a specific portion of the crown. I'll do this as another FUT. He's very lax, so he can likely do more FUTs after that. Impressive for a NW VII donor area! In the upcoming procedure, we will also address some of the "dropping sides" in the midscalp.

Finally, I do apologize for the different "greens" in the background there. The bright green we normally use (as you see in the befores) is currently hidden behind the green screen (the green you see in the afters) we are using to film a new crop of videos.

And to an earlier question: no, he is not currently utilizing any preventive medications. Nor do I think he plans to.

15dqtmr.jpg

1zck905.jpg

34g4hls.jpg

2a67ceo.jpg

s6n6vr.jpg

2vimkwz.jpg

2z8283s.jpg

33x787s.jpg

x6d4jo.jpg

• Administrators

This is a big improvement, I think this a perfect example of why facial framing is so important thanks for updating us, I can certainly understand why he would not want to take any preventive medications. I hope you will continue to update us once he decides to do the next procedure. I hope you took video, this is certainly an intriguing case for YouTube.

View my thread

Thank you for the kind words!

Patient is extremely happy as well. And couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Very excited to tackle the next one. And yes, I'll update.

By the way ... I completely agree with Dr. Diep's assessment of the dermaroller. I've recommended that a few patients stop using these as well.