Do you think I could go from this to this

Want to get an HT, Im 21 with this hair line. I find myself looking at old men wondering why my hairline is the same as theirs. You think I could get close to Scott Disick? I would guess propecia would be necessary to gain his overall volume. I was thinking about getting an HT without propecia though as I've read that blocking DHT really just isn't good regardless of whether or not you experience side effects (even building muscle requires DHT).

Sometimes I think about just going for the Jason Stathom look...Its like people respect fully bald people, but not balding people if you know what I mean. I know its true, people have a subconscious bias towards balding people.

There are rarely young leaders who are balding, but it has been shown fully bald people give off an aurora of power so thats always an option.

unnamed.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if Disick takes propecia, you can see his receding hairline begun, but his hair is so thick otherwise...

To:

article-2336075-1A26CD7C000005DC-295_634x845.jpg.34158d174109b9b3639a510521bdf2e9.jpg

Edited by mjohnson30

With all due respect, you don't need an HT. No ethical doctor would operate on you.

Why do you say that?

Perhaps you think I just want to be like a celebrity and thats a bad reason...but thats not it. Im using Disick as a model for how Id like my hair. I have trouble with confidence man, my hair depresses me pretty much every day...

Obviously I'm not expecting to replicate disicks hair, but Im shooting for my own version of that hairline.

unnamed-3.jpg

Thats a different perspective. You do have some recession, and would likely benefit from propecia if you're ok with the sides. That is a personal decision but will likely be the first recommendation.

If you want to plan carefully for future hair loss , which will likely occur, many physicians will tell you that you're too early stage. Others may feel differently, but I'd encourage you to plan for the long haul not just frustrations you're feeling today.

Have you consulted with any doctors yet?

Thats a different perspective. You do have some recession, and would likely benefit from propecia if you're ok with the sides. That is a personal decision but will likely be the first recommendation.

If you want to plan carefully for future hair loss , which will likely occur, many physicians will tell you that you're too early stage. Others may feel differently, but I'd encourage you to plan for the long haul not just frustrations you're feeling today.

Have you consulted with any doctors yet?

Im definitely not okay with the sides of propecia, but I have an appointment with my Derm wednesday and am going to give it a try (hope for no sides). I tried Minox for 10 days and stopped cause of the shed and the fact that it really does not cure the root of the problem so it isn't worth using forever.

What type of treatment are you talking about when you say "too early stage?"

By striving for the short term wouldn't I be fixing the long term?

Mike

cut the sides shorter so the recession isn't as obvious.. use a blow dryer to add the appearance of more volume.. use a high quality putty to add texture.... that will do a long way.. your recession isn't that bad at all. 21, imo, is way too young as you don't know how aggressive your future loss will be.

Doing a HT at this age you will probably find yourself having to make one more HT in only 3-5 years again and perhaps even earlier. In addition, it is a surgery and there is always the risk of error. If you do it more than once the risk is higher that you may get a bad job or some side effects. Any sane doctor will tell you the same.

Try Minoidil or Finasteride first and see what it helps you. I do not like to recommend Finasteride too much but there is really not much more that helps and that is better than getting a HT at your age.

• Administrators
Im definitely not okay with the sides of propecia, but I have an appointment with my Derm wednesday and am going to give it a try (hope for no sides). I tried Minox for 10 days and stopped cause of the shed and the fact that it really does not cure the root of the problem so it isn't worth using forever.

What type of treatment are you talking about when you say "too early stage?"

By striving for the short term wouldn't I be fixing the long term?

Mike

Minoxidil does not remove DHT from the body but it DOES prevent further hairloss by keeping the hairs on your head active, it's an old wives tale to say it doesn't prevent hairloss cause it does, it works a lot better in conjunction with propecia, right now is the perfect time to get on both, don't discount minoxidil it works good and you need every little bit in this fight against hairloss, I'd wait a few years to make sure the hairloss is stable then get a hair transplant, I know at your age it's all about having a thick dense hairline, but it would be foolish to dense pack a hairline to look like Scott disic when you're already quite receded at 21, you'd have to use around 3,500 grafts to get that sort of density in the front, that's near half of your grafts, you need to think of what's gonna look good at 30,40,50. Trust me once you hit 30 hairlines like that are not as important, I think best thing right now is just maintain the hair you have and style your hair to conceal it. The sooner you get on minox and fin the better it'll work.

Here's what I looked like at 21 barely any recession and take a look at my profile and see how quickly things progressed, if I would've front loaded 3,500 grafts in the front it would be a disaster right now. Not trying to scare you but just think about it I wish I would've stayed on minoxidil back then.

29xuqyt.jpg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for the input guys. I still dream of a HT but I understand what you're saying and Ive heard it before.

Then there was the concern how Minox makes your skin age quicker...at one point nice skin might be all I have, I don't want to lose that too!! I thinking of just getting on propecia.

Minoxidil does not remove DHT from the body but it DOES prevent further hairloss by keeping the hairs on your head active, it's an old wives tale to say it doesn't prevent hairloss cause it does, it works a lot better in conjunction with propecia, right now is the perfect time to get on both, don't discount minoxidil it works good and you need every little bit in this fight against hairloss, I'd wait a few years to make sure the hairloss is stable then get a hair transplant, I know at your age it's all about having a thick dense hairline, but it would be foolish to dense pack a hairline to look like Scott disic when you're already quite receded at 21, you'd have to use around 3,500 grafts to get that sort of density in the front, that's near half of your grafts, you need to think of what's gonna look good at 30,40,50. Trust me once you hit 30 hairlines like that are not as important, I think best thing right now is just maintain the hair you have and style your hair to conceal it. The sooner you get on minox and fin the better it'll work.

Here's what I looked like at 21 barely any recession and take a look at my profile and see how quickly things progressed, if I would've front loaded 3,500 grafts in the front it would be a disaster right now. Not trying to scare you but just think about it I wish I would've stayed on minoxidil back then.

29xuqyt.jpg

Id kill for that hairline now...

So you're 30 now and I see you've pursued an HT. Are you satisfied?

• Administrators
Id kill for that hairline now...

So you're 30 now and I see you've pursued an HT. Are you satisfied?

I decided to pursue an HT at the age of 29, my expectations changed from 21 to 29, when I was your age, all I cared about was having that low dense hairline, now I just want to have a hairline that fits me, I don't really care if the temples are receded a bit, I'm satisfied now, but like I said from 21-29 I lost a TON of hair, if I would've gotten an HT at 21 without being on minox and fin it would've been a complete disaster. The minoxidil prematurely aging you is another myth, if your concerned take collagen pills with it. Try fun but I suggest starting off at 0.5 mg and moving up slowly, I tried fin at 21 and experienced ED, truly nothing worst in life than being 21 with that issue, I'll take balding anyday over being impotent, but that's me personally, you may not get sides it's worth a try you still have a lot of hair to save, I don't take fin now cause there's no point I lost too much hair.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

HT spot on.

Listen, is it easy to show restraint and be patient with anything, let alone with your looks? Of course not. We've all been there, thats why we can empthaize with what yo're going through.

I started losing hair at 22. It was bothersome by 28, and owned my mind until I had my first HT 6 weeks ago at age 34. It consumed my every moment. Challenge yourself to exercise patience and plan for the long haul. You'll be happy you did.

As for Fin. Trial / Error. I had some mental fogginess and that was enough for me to discontinue. Start small dose and carefully monitor.

Good news is you have a TON of hair and a little more length on top, shorter on sides, blow drying and styling techniques and you'll be the only one to notice a thing.

I decided to pursue an HT at the age of 29, my expectations changed from 21 to 29, when I was your age, all I cared about was having that low dense hairline, now I just want to have a hairline that fits me, I don't really care if the temples are receded a bit, I'm satisfied now, but like I said from 21-29 I lost a TON of hair, if I would've gotten an HT at 21 without being on minox and fin it would've been a complete disaster. The minoxidil prematurely aging you is another myth, if your concerned take collagen pills with it. Try fun but I suggest starting off at 0.5 mg and moving up slowly, I tried fin at 21 and experienced ED, truly nothing worst in life than being 21 with that issue, I'll take balding anyday over being impotent, but that's me personally, you may not get sides it's worth a try you still have a lot of hair to save, I don't take fin now cause there's no point I lost too much hair.

Good idea about taking collagen pills.

Im definitely going to try out fin with .5mg especially cause I'm a light weight, 140lbs, 5 9, I'm going tomorrow!

HT spot on.

Listen, is it easy to show restraint and be patient with anything, let alone with your looks? Of course not. We've all been there, thats why we can empthaize with what yo're going through.

I started losing hair at 22. It was bothersome by 28, and owned my mind until I had my first HT 6 weeks ago at age 34. It consumed my every moment. Challenge yourself to exercise patience and plan for the long haul. You'll be happy you did.

As for Fin. Trial / Error. I had some mental fogginess and that was enough for me to discontinue. Start small dose and carefully monitor.

Good news is you have a TON of hair and a little more length on top, shorter on sides, blow drying and styling techniques and you'll be the only one to notice a thing.

Would do you mean when you say your HT consumed you every moment? Are you satisfied now or would you not do it again?

When you say exercise patience and plan for the long haul, you mean plan on getting an HT but perhaps when Im 30?

I think trial and error with fin is worth it.

I too am 21 years of age..I am probably nw3 and after 2 years on mintop i decided to undergo ht of only 1800 grafts so that it atleast frames my face...And to say least it is the best decision i have made...But Yes i know that i will have to undergo more surgeries in future...But i am all ready for it..And yes if you decide to undergo ht journey be mentally prepared for IT.and most importantly only go to a higly recommended doctor...Hope this helps

You can style your hair however you want. So if you're going for the Scott Disick look, you could probably go for a smaller session hair transplant and then cut and style your hair that way. Frankly, you may even be able to get away without a hair transplant and just play with various hairstyles to see what best suits you. It took me a while to find my ideal hairstyle, so just play with various looks and see what you like the best.

I used to style my hair back and wear it longer thinking that was the best look for me. And while that may have worked out OK when I was younger, I found that a shorter hair style with my hair combed forward and the bangs spiked up a little bit looks best. Not only does it make me look younger, but it's easier to manage and looks good overall. Thankfully, I have enough density after 9600 grafts to be able to pull it off. I never thought I would be able to pull that off, but obviously I can.

Best wishes,

Bill

Would do you mean when you say your HT consumed you every moment? Are you satisfied now or would you not do it again?

When you say exercise patience and plan for the long haul, you mean plan on getting an HT but perhaps when Im 30?

I think trial and error with fin is worth it.

Right. To clarify, I just meant it consumed my life.

I moved forward only 6 weeks ago (age 34) so cannot comment on results yet, but can say I'm happy I waited, even at my own expense. I just think its important to see what you can endure mentally before you move ahead with such a big decision. You shouldn't be at a breaking point, but you should feel like you've explored and exhausted all options--including your research.

But at your age, your challenge is not knowing how quickly you'll advance. What if your loss is minimal for the next 3 years and doesn't bother you further? What if it does advance at an aggressive rate? RIght now you don't know, which is why it makes sense to start with preventative measures and decide from there. Just my opinion.

• Administrators
Right. To clarify, I just meant it consumed my life.

I moved forward only 6 weeks ago (age 34) so cannot comment on results yet, but can say I'm happy I waited, even at my own expense. I just think its important to see what you can endure mentally before you move ahead with such a big decision. You shouldn't be at a breaking point, but you should feel like you've explored and exhausted all options--including your research.

But at your age, your challenge is not knowing how quickly you'll advance. What if your loss is minimal for the next 3 years and doesn't bother you further? What if it does advance at an aggressive rate? RIght now you don't know, which is why it makes sense to start with preventative measures and decide from there. Just my opinion.

This is spot on, that's why I gave my example, at your age (21) I practically had a full head of hair, fast forward 9 years I lost it all, it's unpredictable, that's why it's best to stay on meds like fin/minox and wait it out to make sure your hairloss is stable, the last thing you want to do is get that beautiful hairline and lose everything else and end up looking weird and unnatural that's worst than being bald.

In my opinion, if you can maintain your hair now by 30 you may not even care, styling it certain ways completely conceals it so it doesn't matter.

View my thread

I literally saw this exact scenario a couple of weeks ago. Saw a guy at the gym who had the most atrocious hair transplant I've ever seen in real life. He had a ring of hair framing his face, which was obviously at one point done to lower his hairline. However, everything behind that ring of hair at the hairline was bald. I mean basically slick, shiny bald. I guess he never really planned for the future / worst case scenario, and now he had lost all the hair on the top and vertex of his head.. It looked downright bizarre. Honestly, he would have looked better and normal as a really bald guy, rather than a really bald guy with a ridiculous band of hair circling his forehead.

It's one thing to see bad transplants online, but it's kind of shocking to see one in real life. If you do get a hair transplant, I think the recession at the corners could be fixed and give you the ability to pull off that classic hairstyle that Disick wears. I don't see a case for aggressively lowering your entire hairline because the rest of it looks pretty good.

Edited by blahblah1982

MJohnson,

Blah1982 really hit the nail on the head here.

You're in a tricky situation because of your age. And there is a multitude of ways to look at your situation. Can you get a hair transplant to pull off more of the classic "side part" look? Yes. Is it that simple and straightforward? Unfortunately, no.

The progression your hair loss may take is completely unpredictable at 21. Even with the use of preventive agents (which would probably be useful if you tolerate them well), it is unclear how you will progress in the future. This means two things: 1) you must be conservative with the frontal hair transplant work and select a design that will age appropriately and NOT create a scenario like blah1982 described above; 2) you need to preserve the donor as best as possible in order to fill in as the progression continues down the road.

Now, "preserving the donor" means going the FUT route, but this leads me to something else you brought up earlier: the potential for the "Statham" look. If this is something you are considering -- or can honestly see yourself considering down the road -- do a "buzz" trial now. Buzz your entire head down to a 2 or so and see if it suites you. If it does, you probably don't really need a procedure now -- and you've saved yourself the problems that come with realizing you'd like to do the buzzed look AFTER hair transplant surgery.

Otherwise, research thoroughly, be somewhat conservative in the frontal design, and make sure to outline a long-term plan with your surgeon.

Hopefully this helps. Best of luck.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

You do not need a HT at this point and stop comparing yourself to Hollywood actors, who, i'm sure, are as insecure as the rest of us about their looks....

"Wanting to be someone else, is a waste of the person you are"....Kurt Cobain.

Be very careful taking propecia. I'm 23 and have been off the stuff for a week after a long 16 months. Still experiencing sides. I don't want to scare you as it works differently for everyone, but I didn't do too well on the stuff and now I'm facing the consequences.

MJohnson,

Blah1982 really hit the nail on the head here.

You're in a tricky situation because of your age. And there is a multitude of ways to look at your situation. Can you get a hair transplant to pull off more of the classic "side part" look? Yes. Is it that simple and straightforward? Unfortunately, no.

The progression your hair loss may take is completely unpredictable at 21. Even with the use of preventive agents (which would probably be useful if you tolerate them well), it is unclear how you will progress in the future. This means two things: 1) you must be conservative with the frontal hair transplant work and select a design that will age appropriately and NOT create a scenario like blah1982 described above; 2) you need to preserve the donor as best as possible in order to fill in as the progression continues down the road.

Now, "preserving the donor" means going the FUT route, but this leads me to something else you brought up earlier: the potential for the "Statham" look. If this is something you are considering -- or can honestly see yourself considering down the road -- do a "buzz" trial now. Buzz your entire head down to a 2 or so and see if it suites you. If it does, you probably don't really need a procedure now -- and you've saved yourself the problems that come with realizing you'd like to do the buzzed look AFTER hair transplant surgery.

Otherwise, research thoroughly, be somewhat conservative in the frontal design, and make sure to outline a long-term plan with your surgeon.

Hopefully this helps. Best of luck.

Dr. Bloxham,

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you, Blah1982 and other posters are saying...getting a HT involves some risk, or the possibility of more HTs in the future. Although, if I react well to propecia and I stay on it, this risk could be eliminated. Do you agree?

Also, what do you mean by preserving the donor, and why would that require the FUT route. I would plan on FUE.

You do not need a HT at this point and stop comparing yourself to Hollywood actors, who, i'm sure, are as insecure as the rest of us about their looks....

"Wanting to be someone else, is a waste of the person you are"....Kurt Cobain.

That is a good quote, and very true.