Post Op Recovery Time

Cant decide

I am getting so sick of clinics saying that after one week, you will not be able to notice anything was done post op. This is flat out incorrect UNLESS you have less than 1000 grafts done with no shaving and FUE. If you have greater than 2000 grafts done, FUT, and especially with shaving, it will be 3 weeks minimum before you can go out without a hat and look "Normal". More like 1.5 months.

I have had 2 procedures; believe it.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Agreed. I have noticed clinics saying that a lot and also that scabs from FUE (mostly donor) should be gone in 3-5 days. Definitely not true!

I would say two weeks you can go out if you're good with using hair concealers. However, I agree, 3 weeks is standard.

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

I agree 100%. I was in a wedding 2 mos after my procedure and still looked like a fool.

Also, my head was numb/hurt for 90 days (I'm now 6 mos out and my head still hurts some days). My clinic gave me 12 pain pills. That is beyond laughable for the pain I endured. I could not lay my head on a pillow for 5 days. It took me 2 days for them to refill as they didn't "believe" that I could possibly still be in enough pain to need more pain pills. Maybe my head has more nerve endings or something, but the pain was way more severe than advertised by my clinic and what I read on this board.

Absolutely agree. It is hard to recover in that short period of time. I had to take at least 2-3 weeks off to kind of get by, even then i was struggling. This was FUE. I dont know how some professionals can say so otherwise? Def takes more than a month or two

This is my second FUE procedure. My first was the most difficult to conceal since it was my entire front. I took my full vacation time, plus time to work from home and when I went back to work people still noticed something was different. My second procedure was just done 2 weeks ago and it was behind the frontal zone. Only 1500 grafts but the sides and back of my head were shaved. I still took 2 weeks off work plus 2 weeks work from home. I should be fine to go back to work after a month this time around. But my main point is, I absolutely agree with you guys - you need alot more than a week if you want to return to work looking somewhat normal.

Guess it really depends on your situation. I had roughly 1,800 FUE grafts and was not shaven and it mixed into what was left of my front and mid hair. You couldn't tell a thing from the back from the moment I left the doctor's office and my front and top were looking pretty good just a few days later.

That said, the OP's point is well taken that with FUT, shaven and a large # of grafts, I can't imagine being told you'd be good to go in just a week.

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Must agree. I'm 14 days post op and no chance I could be seen in public.

Very happy I played it safe and gave myself 30+ days of downtime bc my plan of flying under radar and not telling anyone would have blown up in my face....still could, although hoping at 45 day mark when I go home my native hair + reintro of masking agents will have me close to pre-op.

Will say, the physical recovery wasn't bad at all. Aesthetic takes much longer.

I am getting so sick of clinics saying that after one week, you will not be able to notice anything was done post op. This is flat out incorrect UNLESS you have less than 1000 grafts done with no shaving and FUE. If you have greater than 2000 grafts done, FUT, and especially with shaving, it will be 3 weeks minimum before you can go out without a hat and look "Normal". More like 1.5 months.

I have had 2 procedures; believe it.

I've personally seen many of our patients with FUT Strip procedures go back to work after a 2000--2500 grafts session. Definitely not all but a lot can if the physician is careful about cutting or not cutting hairs in the recipient area. It's partially dependent upon the patient and how much native hairs are present and what density he's trying to achieve. Of course if you do have to shave, I agree that it'll take a month or longer to get back to looking decent.