FUE Question for Dr. Feller

HairJo

Dr. Feller,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post on this forum, I know you have endured a lot to to educate us. The information you have been giving about FUE has been invaluable and hard to find. I have a question for you. During FUE do you use a motorized FUE extraction tool or a manual tool or both? Thanks.

Dr. Feller,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post on this forum, I know you have endured a lot to to educate us. The information you have been giving about FUE has been invaluable and hard to find. I have a question for you. During FUE do you use a motorized FUE extraction tool or a manual tool or both? Thanks.

I am curious to know Blake's opinion on this as well as in the past he has stated that he believes sharp manual punches are the ideal harvesting method.

And I still do!

I'll let Dr Feller explain his own philosophy as well!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

In my absolutely uneducated, uninformed opinion, (and by opinion im actually just sharing feedback from Dr. Wong from a convo we had last night) he said the motorized results he saw in Brussels from Dr. Devroye was the best FUE graft he's witnessed to date. He said it was the first time he actually considered that equiv quality could be achieved.

***This was my interpretation of what he said, I'm sure he explained it more eloquently

Thank you for the kind words HairJo.

I have invented, patented and commercially produced both manual and FUE instruments. When I first started I preferred manual tools. But then I put a punch on a rotary tool, basically a hobby motor, and thought it might speed up the process. Others had done this on their own as well. But it was large and more powerful than necessary so I looked into reducing the size and weight. While doing that I realized that the torsion force created by the drill spinning in one direction might be doing harm. I also felt that too much heat was being created at the tip. So I sought to build an oscillating motorized tool that cut slower and with a small degree of arc, which I did. It has it's place in certain kinds of patients, but it's main strength is that it allowed novices the ability to score grafts better than they could manually. I showed the tool off at a booth in Amsterdam in 2010 and was made an offer for my company that I couldn't refuse. So I sold it lock, stock, and barrel. They continued improving the design and the last I saw it looked more sleek, light, and sleeker.

But I found that with practice and having worked on a number of different kinds of scalps over the years that I was more proficient with a manual punch and even faster. So I haven't used a motorized punch in years because I haven't needed to. If, however, I find too many grafts are being damaged during scoring I may pull out the motorized tool and give it a try.

So to me a very sharp, thin walled punch with gradations inscribed on the tip for depth measurement is the best tool for FUE. This along with either the two forceps method of Lorenzo for delivery, or the one forceps and needle perforation technique that I developed years ago for delivery.

Thank you for the kind words HairJo.

I have invented, patented and commercially produced both manual and FUE instruments. When I first started I preferred manual tools. But then I put a punch on a rotary tool, basically a hobby motor, and thought it might speed up the process. Others had done this on their own as well. But it was large and more powerful than necessary so I looked into reducing the size and weight. While doing that I realized that the torsion force created by the drill spinning in one direction might be doing harm. I also felt that too much heat was being created at the tip. So I sought to build an oscillating motorized tool that cut slower and with a small degree of arc, which I did. It has it's place in certain kinds of patients, but it's main strength is that it allowed novices the ability to score grafts better than they could manually. I showed the tool off at a booth in Amsterdam in 2010 and was made an offer for my company that I couldn't refuse. So I sold it lock, stock, and barrel. They continued improving the design and the last I saw it looked more sleek, light, and sleeker.

But I found that with practice and having worked on a number of different kinds of scalps over the years that I was more proficient with a manual punch and even faster. So I haven't used a motorized punch in years because I haven't needed to. If, however, I find too many grafts are being damaged during scoring I may pull out the motorized tool and give it a try.

So to me a very sharp, thin walled punch with gradations inscribed on the tip for depth measurement is the best tool for FUE. This along with either the two forceps method of Lorenzo for delivery, or the one forceps and needle perforation technique that I developed years ago for delivery.

Dr Feller, question for ya - in your own video on the Bhatti thread, you explained the shaking was due to the maotarized punch - in your opinion, is the shaking we whitnessed a non-factor or was that also detrimental?

In my absolutely uneducated, uninformed opinion, (and by opinion im actually just sharing feedback from Dr. Wong from a convo we had last night) he said the motorized results he saw in Brussels from Dr. Devroye was the best FUE graft he's witnessed to date. He said it was the first time he actually considered that equiv quality could be achieved.

***This was my interpretation of what he said, I'm sure he explained it more eloquently

kinda contradicts this.. https://hassonandwong.com/fue-follicular-unit-extractions-at-hasson-wong/

He (Dr Wong) referenced having seen this in the past month in Brussels. He was candid in saying before he witnessed this in person he would have maintained his existing position. Specifically referenced the motorized technique and specifically referred to Dr. Devroye. I can only tell you that he said it was the first time he saw comparable graft quality.