4 weeks away from surgery. No Fin. Am I destined to fail?

Hi all, must mention how great again I find this site for support and info. I have took the plunge and am booked in for my HT in 4 weeks. Iv been researching for 6months so I am well informed at this stage. Iv started feeling nervous these last few days. as much I am looking forward to the procedure I can't help but worry that it will all be in vain because I'm not on finestride. I am on minoxidil daily and nizoral lasercomb and herbal supplement but I'm realistic about what all that stuff can do opposed to fin. I'm heading towards a Norwood 5 and after a lot of debating mega sessions of 4000/5000 grafts etc I settled on a more conservative surgeons recommendation of 2500 grafts mostly likely hairline and frontal 3rd framing the face as the priority. Future loss is my massive worry and being left wit an island etc. Should I have thrown the towel in? Or am I right to give it a fight?

...but if you're norwood 5 and you're only having hairline and frontal third, this will already result in an 'island', no?
I'm more of a diffuse thinner I'm not actually fully bald anywhere but am heading that direction. My regime seems to have halted my loss and even grown some back in places.

• Administrators

You're not necessarily destined to fail, I think the most important thing is that you haven't noticed much more hairloss. Not everyone get sides from fin I did though, but if you're scared of fin you can try RU58841, it's a topical DHT blocker, it doesn't give permanent side effects like fin. You could take really small doses of fin during your hair transplant to reduce the chance of shock loss then you can come off.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You're not necessarily destined to fail, I think the most important thing is that you haven't noticed much more hairloss. Not everyone get sides from fin I did though, but if you're scared of fin you can try RU58841, it's a topical DHT blocker, it doesn't give permanent side effects like fin. You could take really small doses of fin during your hair transplant to reduce the chance of shock loss then you can come off.
thanks i will look into it. my doc says i have to go off minoxidil 3 weeks before the surgery so even if i did go with RU58841 then it would have to be after surgery when im all healed up, but from what iv just read it sounds promising

How old are you?

I would strongly suggest getting on Fin asap. You will lose those hairs that you mentioned. Fin can help you hold them for years longer.

Also you have to be REALLY sure you have the donor to get you looking good and normal for the long run. This is a LONG TERM decision.

How old are you?

I would strongly suggest getting on Fin asap. You will lose those hairs that you mentioned. Fin can help you hold them for years longer.

Also you have to be REALLY sure you have the donor to get you looking good and normal for the long run. This is a LONG TERM decision.

I'm 30. I don't want to use FIN. I'm not willing to risk it and it is very hard to obtain in ireland anyway. I'm not sure of my donor density that's why I presumed going with 2500 grafts would be conservative. I had surgeons recommend 5,000 +. I'm hoping that if my goals remain realistic that I won't be disappointed

Do NOT take fin!

I don't care what anyone tells you here on the forums. That drugs has the potential to utterly destroy your life.

Here is what I'm doing. I'm 43. NW 3

Just had a 2000 FUE One month ago.

I'm going to use Rogaine foam, Ketoconazole shampoo, biotin supplement.s and let the chips (hairs) fall were they may.

Hopefully I can Squeeze as much life as I can out of my hair. If /when the native hair thins too much and the HT starts looking bad, I'm simply going to have ONE more procedure to reverse the FUE. Looking this time to the FUE recipient hairs and relocate them back into the donor areas from which they came.

the I'm DONE with hair. I'm out of the 'hair' game after that.

In my opinion I will have done everything within a reasonable acceptable limits of what I'm willing to undertake to preserve and maintain hair. I'm hoping to get maybe 10-15 years out of my FUE HT, before things start looking 'awkward', then I have to look into getting the reversal.

But definitely, Propecia/ fin can give you LIFELONG IRREVERSIBLE IMPOTENCE!! Is freaking hair worth rolling the dice on that shit!!!! Not in my book it's not.

Not to mention Fin can cause mental confusion and every carries with it a risk of male Breast CANCER!! The side effects are report in around 2-10%. Some people that were very unlucky with Fin and got severe irreparable side effects have even been driven into profound crippling depressions, resulting in career loss, divorce, and even SUICIDE!! It destroyed there otherwise productive and happy life. A s little as one single dose has been report to cause PFS!! So don't even try for ANY period of time. Not even once.

Hair loss sucks! I know! I've lost a good deal of mine. Buts be VERY cautious what risk you enter into on your quest for hair.

Do NOT take fin!

I don't care what anyone tells you here on the forums. That drugs has the potential to utterly destroy your life.

Here is what I'm doing. I'm 43. NW 3

Just had a 2000 FUE One month ago.

I'm going to use Rogaine foam, Ketoconazole shampoo, biotin supplement.s and let the chips (hairs) fall were they may.

Hopefully I can Squeeze as much life as I can out of my hair. If /when the native hair thins too much and the HT starts looking bad, I'm simply going to have ONE more procedure to reverse the FUE. Looking this time to the FUE recipient hairs and relocate them back into the donor areas from which they came.

the I'm DONE with hair. I'm out of the 'hair' game after that.

In my opinion I will have done everything within a reasonable acceptable limits of what I'm willing to undertake to preserve and maintain hair. I'm hoping to get maybe 10-15 years out of my FUE HT, before things start looking 'awkward', then I have to look into getting the reversal.

But definitely, Propecia/ fin can give you LIFELONG IRREVERSIBLE IMPOTENCE!! Is freaking hair worth rolling the dice on that shit!!!! Not in my book it's not.

Not to mention Fin can cause mental confusion and every carries with it a risk of male Breast CANCER!! The side effects are report in around 2-10%. Some people that were very unlucky with Fin and got severe irreparable side effects have even been driven into profound crippling depressions, resulting in career loss, divorce, and even SUICIDE!! It destroyed there otherwise productive and happy life. A s little as one single dose has been report to cause PFS!! So don't even try for ANY period of time. Not even once.

Hair loss sucks! I know! I've lost a good deal of mine. Buts be VERY cautious what risk you enter into on your quest for hair.

No disrespect biolizard but Ive been on Propecia for over 10 years without one single side effect you mentioned.

when the native hair thins too much and the HT starts looking bad, I'm simply going to have ONE more procedure to reverse the FUE. Looking this time to the FUE recipient hairs and relocate them back into the donor areas from which they came.
Ive never heard of anyone doing this successfully. I'm not sure it will as simple as you might think... or even possible. You could potentially have little scar marks in the recipient area that would not look natural. Im not 100% on this but did you ask a good doctor about this idea?

Anyway back to the OP. Sure, it's your body. If you dont feel like trying Fin then dont, but I would strongly suggest you do not get a HT at this point. If you are 30 and heading for a NW5 you might end up regretting the decision. Just sayin.

Wow biolizard that was pretty strong on the say no to fin argument ? which makes a pleasant change. Everyone here seems to be on it. Reversing a HT, recipient hair fue back into donor area?? The is something I have never heard of and I would have to ask why would you want to do that? Thanks for ur input also?

I appreciate the honesty magnum PI I wear my hair pretty short like a 3mm at the moment so even if I get the FUE and frame the face and and do frontal 3rd I could prob achieve a pretty decent look that way if/when my original hair bids fair well. Also maybe ill have to have a couple of procedures. I don't want to believe that without meds a HT is pointless

• Administrators
If you're heading to a NW 5, and you don't take fin, it will probably look pretty bad in a few years. Take care!

That's not true plenty of alternatives to finasteride and plenty of guys who dont take fin with good results. Take care!

Romperstomper plenty of guys have not experienced sides, but there's also a lot of us that have, luckily it wasn't permanent, my suggestion is if you want take a very light dose and see how you feel do it,however sexual health at a young age is way more important than having hair and being castrated. I'd rather be Norwood 10 and have a functioning penis than have Brad Pitt hair with a limp noodle for life.

Edited by Melvin-HTsoon

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

That's not true plenty of alternatives to finasteride and plenty of guys who dont take fin with good results. Take care!

Romperstomper plenty of guys have not experienced sides, but there's also a lot of us that have, luckily it wasn't permanent, my suggestion is if you want take a very light dose and see how you feel do it,however sexual health at a young age is way more important than having hair and being castrated. I'd rather be Norwood 10 and have a functioning penis than have Brad Pitt hair with a limp noodle for life.

A limp noodle for life ??? Very well put my friend. f**k that, the wife would kill me ? even taking a light dose scares me with the potential sides people mention

What are these "plenty of alternatives"? None exist, unless you're referring to dutasteride. The only other alternative is RU, which is an experimental chemical that has to be illegally sourced from some shady lab in China, and has never been approved for human use.

RU also has side effects for a number of users. (I guess you didn't know that).

Simply there is no way getting around the fact that if you don't take fin, you will continually lose hair, every day, so the transplanted hair will stick out.

Just take a look at Jotronic's pre photos.

• Administrators
No disrespect biolizard but Ive been on Propecia for over 10 years without one single side effect you mentioned.

Your lucky to not have sides, but the truth is some of us are sensitive to androgen suppressors. I appreciate the fact you've never gotten a side effect but to a lot of young men id think they'd rather gamble with being bald something they already are, than be impotent, especially young men who are in relationships or married, if your HT fails well you go back to being bald, women will accept bald, but a non functioning man I don't think so, that's the dilemma, but that's why I say RU58841 which sometimes gives sides but it's not permanent. I'm lucky to have not gotten permanent sides, I tried both finasteride and dutasteride both gave sides, dutasteride even worse.

View my thread

• Administrators
What are these "plenty of alternatives"? None exist, unless you're referring to dutasteride. The only other alternative is RU, which is an experimental chemical that has to be illegally sourced from some shady lab in China, and has never been approved for human use.

RU also has side effects for a number of users. (I guess you didn't know that).

Simply there is no way getting around the fact that if you don't take fin, you will continually lose hair, every day, so the transplanted hair will stick out.

I've taken RU58841 and sure it gives sides but not permanent unlike fin ( I guess you didn't know that)

Also a thing you fail to realize is that the more years your on Finasteide the less effective it becomes, plenty of guys I know been on it for 10-15 years and for the first 5 it's great but past 10 it becomes less effective and they lose hair anyway. You're going to lose hair regardless finasteride is not a miracle drug it doesn't stop hairloss completely it merely slows it down.

If you're a Norwood 5 plan to be a Norwood 6 and plan your hair transplant accordingly, Sam B on YouTube was a complete Norwood 6 got descent results with out finasteride.

View my thread

• Administrators
That is completely up to you. I'm just relaying likely reality.

Acting like permanent side effects don't exist is not reality. Also thinking finasteride completely stops hairloss not reality. It slows it down but your still gonna inevitably go bald with time. Finasteride becomes less effective over time.

I've take RU58841 and it gives sides but not permanent ( I guess you didn't know that)

View my thread

The discussion over side effects is a completely separate one from a discussion over how an HT is going to look. If you lose hair after getting an HT, it will look odd, regardless of how much you hate finasteride.

As for "permanent sides", every day when I drive a car, I'm risking my life, I could get seriously hurt, killed, or maimed at any second. Do I go around scaring others of driving? No.

• Administrators

I'm not scaring him I'm simply giving him my experiences, that's why I told him he could start with low doses, but the risks need to be taken in to account when putting a drug in your body eapecially if it could potentially ruin your life. He's already bald, so the worst that could happen if he doesn't take it is going back to being bald, but the worst that could happen with finasteride is a lot.

I encourage guys to try it, but to act like its a miracle drug is ridiculous, I know guys on it plus 10 years still going bald. It only slows hairloss down it doesn't stop it, so the likely reality for all of us is that eventually we'll be balder than we are now with time.

The analogy with a car well you always want to tell a person who drives to put on a seat belt.

View my thread