Having second thoughts...normal

So I have my HT scheduled (I'm going to a world renowned Dr) and I guess I've been reading so many bad reviews about HT's and the fact that I'm 44 and a NW5 scares me. I read this below and I guess this is my biggest fear...Any thoughts?

" Also after 5 or 10 years if your baldness progress to become norwood 6 or7 and your donor area is already depleted, can you still shave your receipient and donor area ? or at least can you wear what is left very short (assuming the operations was FUE with small punches 0.9 to 0.5 mm)"

Am I just being paranoid, is this doubt normal??

Hi LG

Concerns and questions are normal and I think it is never wrong to ask your doctor or clinic about your loss potential and donor's capabilites of giving. Assuming you have had a personal consultation then they ideally have some data on densities you have, laxity, miniaturisation etc and project what is possible for the donor to then give and you may want to take into account also different techniques of Strip and FUE or a combination of both.

Certainly worth asking them for this and other advice such as possible medication options etc for you so that you can have some projections and assurances of future surgeries available to you and be comfortable with what you are going to undergo and have confidence in doing so.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Concerns are justifiable! Ask about future loss and what can be done to protect and preserve the native hair. Most patients have between 6000 to 9000 viable donor follicles. Usually one transplant is not going to risk tapping out this source but inhibiting loss is an important part of this equation. Some things will depend on which surgeon you have chosen, they all vary a little in recommendations. Another part of the equation is the method of harvesting, FUT vs FUE. The method of harvesting can impact the number of donor follicle available. Talk to your clinic and explain your reservations! It is always in your best interest to have a long term plan in your back pocket! Best of luck!!!!

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

Lefty,

There is nothing wrong with having some second thoughts. Too many times I see guys, especially the younger ones just jump into HT surgery without doing their homework. As Ailene wisely stated, there is also the preventative part of the equation. If you have native hair that can be treated without surgery, that's a significant part of the overall strategy to maintain a restored appearance.

I also was a Norwood class 5 at the age of 40 when I got started with my first HT procedure. Have been using low dose finasteride for the past 16 years with success, mostly keeping my crown intact from getting any worse. Had four separate FUHT procedures for a grand total of 6900 grafts and have never regretted any of it. Have been enjoying a restored appearance since 1996.

You mentioned being a class 5 and yet not knowing your family history, as long as your goals are realistic and you work wisely within your own limitations, you should not end up being disappointed.

Also, from many years of observations with both FUHT and FUE, I have the opinion that for those individuals that will need or want upwards of over 5,000 grafts in their lifetime, FUHT is the way to go providing you are a good healer and you go to a competent skilled surgeon. Notice that I stated "over" 5,000 grafts.

Anything up and beyond 5,000 grafts will require many extractions with FUE and can potentially thin out the donor's "safe" zone if the donor zone density is average or even below average. I base this opinion on countless examples that I have observed.

With having four separate FUHT procedures, I still have one thin strip scar and lots of hair above and below the scar. I wonder what my donor area would have looked like with 6900 extractions...:rolleyes:

And it's not that I am pro FUHT and anti FUE. They both have their place. And it depends on the patient's goals, their potential for future loss, etc. that determines the best approach for that particular individual. This is why there is not one technique that is best for everyone.

The key is to plan your restoration over a lifetime and do proper diligence with you research. The more informed that we are, the easier the decision becomes...;)

Best wishes to you Lefty and enjoy the greens before the winter gets here...:)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

So I have my HT scheduled (I'm going to a world renowned Dr) and I guess I've been reading so many bad reviews about HT's and the fact that I'm 44 and a NW5 scares me. I read this below and I guess this is my biggest fear...Any thoughts?

" Also after 5 or 10 years if your baldness progress to become norwood 6 or7 and your donor area is already depleted, can you still shave your receipient and donor area ? or at least can you wear what is left very short (assuming the operations was FUE with small punches 0.9 to 0.5 mm)"

Am I just being paranoid, is this doubt normal??

I just had my FUE and I'll be very honest. I'm having some pangs of buyers remorse. I'm only 2 weeks out from my 2000 graft FUE, from what I can tell the surgeon did a good enough job, however , I will have to wait and see for 1-2 more years to know for sure.

I probably should've spent more time researching things BEFORE I let them start permanently altering my hairline. After researching Finasteride more in depth, I've now concluded that the potential side effects are UNACCEPATABLE for me to consider taking this drug. Before my HT, I just thought 'yea, sure I'll take it, whatever it takes to get some hair'.....

But now I'm honestly scared shitless of that little pill and the devasting capability it has to bring into unsuspecting, well meaning, people's lives.

So since I'm not willing to take Finasteride, I'm thinking I probably should NOT have done the HT. But I won't know for sure until after the fact.

If I get decent looking hair for another decade of my life because of the FUE, then HELL yes, I'll have considered it worth it!!!! But it won't know until after the fact. Same goes for you.

I m in the same boat, i had an HT recently and i m now regretting doing this, even i did fue also and the most advance technique either with decent surgent , but still scared, now all what i m asking if anything goes wrong in the future whether the results was bad or the i loose more native hair, i just want to be able to shave my head (receipient area shave by blade abd donor area at 1) i just wanna look normal again or at least there is a way to remove the transplant hair and become bald again, when i asked these questions i could not have a streight answer or found a picture to shaved head from front, this gives me feeling that i m stucked now and i will be presion to my HT

I m so depress now and i will not recommend HT to anyone

So many bad reviews about HT's and the fact that I'm 44 and a NW5 scares me

nothing at all wrong with having worries about a HT, it is a big choice.

things you might want to ask yourself that could help make your choice easier.

How do i wear my hair now? short or long or shaved?

What's your gut feeling about future hair loss? will it all go soon or not

Are you willing to take meds? best way to support a HT is combining meds

What is your realistic goals with replacing your hair? thick - all over but thinning look - better hair line - crown filled in

NW 5 - most likely needs 5500 - 6500 for a decent look - do I have that in my own donor area?

once you know your own limitations with what can be achieved and what needs doing with post op, the next move is deciding what method suits your own needs.

anyway, all the best mate..

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

I m in the same boat, i had an HT recently and i m now regretting doing this, even i did fue also and the most advance technique either with decent surgent , but still scared, now all what i m asking if anything goes wrong in the future whether the results was bad or the i loose more native hair, i just want to be able to shave my head (receipient area shave by blade abd donor area at 1) i just wanna look normal again or at least there is a way to remove the transplant hair and become bald again, when i asked these questions i could not have a streight answer or found a picture to shaved head from front, this gives me feeling that i m stucked now and i will be presion to my HT

I m so depress now and i will not recommend HT to anyone

I would not recommend at HT at this point to anyone either. If I could undo what was done, go back to my older more natural looking hairline, and get a full refund I absolutely would in a heartbeat. Also, the hairline looks very different for me, Im having much trouble getting use to it, cause I've never had a rounded hairline like that at anytime in my life. So to me it doesn't look like "me". It's a strange feeling walking past a mirror. I'll pass final judgment in another year or so following my HT. as I'm just over 2 weeks out. I'm now more self conscious and embarrassed of my hair than ever.

It's my own fault for jumping into this to hastily. I'm chalking it up to a midlife crisis. Hindsight is always 20/20 and now looking back I can clearly see my expectations were likely not realistic, and my knowledge of post transplant hair care was very very lacking. Now after educating my further, I can clearly see the mistakes I likely made. Now I'm stuck. Stuck a weird place. So now what am I going to look like as I continue to lose native hair. I will look SO BIZZARE!! I've take a situation in which I was indeed self conscious about my appearance, and in 5-10 years time, likely made it 10 times worse.

I've even considered the possibility electrolysis of the implanted hairs as a future option to undo parts of the HT if needed. But that will be more money and further trips to a doctor. I still can helping feeling that I should've just left well enough alone.

But I jumped in, I booked the date, and gave my down payment very quickly. After they required a 10% down payment I just convinced myself to go through with it no matter what and to suppress and ignore the doubts I was having (after all I didn't want to forfeit my down payment). I was just too naive to know what I was getting into. I just thought it would help me look at little more youthful if I got a little of my hair back. Looking back I wish I would've just cancelled the surgery, forfeited the down payment, shaved or buzzed down my head to a close cut, and accepted the natural aging process with dignity. That's what I SHOULD have done.

And because I refuse to take Finasteride, my future happiness with my HT is very much in jeopardy. I'm going to have some very difficult decision on what to do with myself in 5-10 years as my native hair loss continues. Im not sure what the heck I'm going to do? but now I've forced myself into a position in which I may need even more HT. To be honest, as the days press on from my HT I grow increasingly more regretful of my decision to jump into a HT. It seriously may become the most expensive, biggest mistake of my life!!

Edited by biolizard
Spelling and sentence structure.

I would not recommend at HT at this point to anyone either. If I could undo what was done, go back to my older more natural looking hairline, and get a full refund I absolutely would in a heartbeat. Also, the hairline looks very different for me, Im having much trouble getting use to it, cause I've never had a rounded hairline like that at anytime in my life. So to me it doesn't look like "me". It's a strange feeling walking past a mirror. I'll pass final judgment in another year or so following my HT. as I'm just over 2 weeks out. I'm now more self conscious and embarrassed of my hair than ever.

It's my own fault for jumping into this to hastily. I'm chalking it up to a midlife crisis. Hindsight is always 20/20 and now looking back I can clearly see my expectations were likely not realistic, and my knowledge of post transplant hair care was very very lacking. Now after educating my further, I can clearly see the mistakes I likely made. Now I'm stuck. Stuck a weird place. So now what am I going to look like as I continue to lose native hair. I will look SO BIZZARE!! I've take a situation in which I was indeed self conscious about my appearance, and in 5-10 years time, likely made it 10 times worse.

I've even considered the possibility electrolysis of the implanted hairs as a future option to undo parts of the HT if needed. But that will be more money and further trips to a doctor. I still can helping feeling that I should've just left well enough alone.

But I jumped in, I booked the date, and gave my down payment very quickly. After they required a 10% down payment I just convinced myself to go through with it no matter what and to suppress and ignore the doubts I was having (after all I didn't want to forfeit my down payment). I was just too naive to know what I was getting into. I just thought it would help me look at little more youthful if I got a little of my hair back. Looking back I wish I would've just cancelled the surgery, forfeited the down payment, shaved or buzzed down my head to a close cut, and accepted the natural aging process with dignity. That's what I SHOULD have done.

And because I refuse to take Finasteride, my future happiness with my HT is very much in jeopardy. I'm going to have some very difficult decision on what to do with myself in 5-10 years as my native hair loss continues. Im not sure what the heck I'm going to do? but now I've forced myself into a position in which I may need even more HT. To be honest, as the days press on from my HT I grow increasingly more regretful of my decision to jump into a HT. It seriously may become the most expensive, biggest mistake of my life!!

Wow, this is leaving me really bummed out! Is anyone really happy with their HT's??

Being worried is normal. If it doesn't feel right, wait a bit. You have to go in to it with reasonable expectations. It is somewhat of a gamble but.... Your odds go way up with a good doctor that gives you a honest assessment. If most didn't turn out they would not do this kind of work. As for me, It was the best decision I've made. I wish I did it five years earlier.

Dr.Gabel 3972 FUT 11/3/14

Progress/Results Below ;)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177388-3972-fut-dr-gabel.html

Wow, this is leaving me really bummed out! Is anyone really happy with their HT's??

yes I am thrilled... best decision i have made.... in 8 weeks from now I will go in my final planned HT I cant wait...

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

Hi

Iv had fue and for the first 2 years I shave my whole head down to a 1 guard and later on a 3 on top and a 2 back and sides and looks perfectly normal! I could shave Down to a 1 guard all over with no issues! I'm in the process of growing my hair out and I can say it's the best decision iv ever made! It's been life changing! Being able to go to events and not just constantly feel shit about my hair and take an hour of trying to style it OK and have comments made about going bald etc! It all depends on how much hair loss affects you mentally, the night before my op I looked in the mirror and had some reservations,should I be doing this? Look at how much it is costing,what if It doesn't grow or I feel worse about it afterwards! But I felt the risk was worth it as I was so unhappy with how my hair was,and I am very pleased with how it has turned out!!! I liked having a shaved head,it suited me once I had a framed hairline,I'm growing it out to see what it's like out of interest but will probably shave down again next summer as it's hassle free! Hair tr as plants are a gamble and if you can live happily with what you got then don't take that gamble,if on the other hand like me it affected you to the point where you dreaded social situations and constantly thought about it then maybe it's worth that gamble,I'm ft definitely was for me!

This is realistic consideration, but manage your expectations when you attempt to reach your goals. Yes, hair loss is unpredictable so a treatment plan is key. Hair loss is a journey, get quality results by researching and doing your diligence so that you may remain unnoticed as a hair transplant patient and not a victim.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians