It's over for me I lost against hairloss

I am probably a NW 3 at age 33 with very thin coverage in front hairline and crown starting to look bald to. I began losing my hair when I was 21 which was a f#$%en confidence crusher for me at that age. The following year 1997 a freaked out and rushed into my first strip scar HT 300 grafts into front hairline. That year I also was introduced to Dermatch which helped save me for a long time up until now. In 2004 I got another strip scar surgery 1500 front hairline and about 250 crown. The 2 HT was done by the same below average doctor so I almost don't have any coverage in front hairline even after 1800 grafts.

My big problem is I use to buzz cut my hair with a 1 guard very close because my first HT was a small scar not really noticeable. After getting my 2nd HT the 2nd scar is much more noticeable almost ear to ear. When I cut my hair with a 2 guard the 2nd HT scar is still noticeable.

I met with Dr. Feller to see if I could get FUE put into my scars. He told me he wasn't a hundred percent sure if he did the procedure it would totally cover up my scar and not be noticeable again.

At this point in my life I am happily married and have a beautiful child with a pretty big mortgage. I can't get any more procedures done that would cost around $10,000 to $20,000 were in a recession tough times right now I don't know how some of you guys do it you most be rich. I could however have Dr. Feller put FUE into my scars which would cost $1,600 so I can hopefully shave my head with a 1 guard.

I have tried everything rogain, propecia, lasecomb, only to watch my hair keep falling out. I feel like losing my hair is ruining my f&^%en life since I have to look in the mirror every day and be reminded of it. I have changed careers when I was younger so I can wear hats to work everyday. Losing my hair has crushed my confidence where I don't even want to go out to dinner or other gatherings anymore. I used to be able to comb my hair back then I was forced to comb it forward like the monk look which actually looked pretty good for awhile until now. I wear hats all the time during the day and am pretty much sick and tired of doing it because people probably think I'm losing my hair at this age.

So what the hell am I suppose to do? Should I go get a FUE put into the old HT scar and shave my head for now? I haven't ruled out not getting another HT or whatever in the future but for now I can't. Is there any new solutions to hairloss in the near future? I know that scientist and Doctor or working on finding new ways to finally stop hairloss.

LT I'm sorry you feel so down. I respect Dr Feller for being honest with you. There are some good doctors and many bad doctors. I think the doctors that are candid and honest are almost as important as who gets the best results.

Asking for opinions is great but much easier if we can see some pictures. If Dr Feller could FUE the scar to an improvement would you be satisfied?

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Thanks for your response since no one else bothered. You said "If Dr Feller could FUE the scar to an improvement would you be satisfied?" If I knew for sure FUE put into my scars would allow me to buzz cut my hair back to 1 guard I would set an appointment ASAP but there is no guarantees. I am just sick and tired of wasting my f%$#en money over $10,000 already on fighting hairloss and getting nothing out of it. The only product that really saved me and prolonged my looks was dermatch since 1997.

Originally posted by LT:

Thanks for your response since no one else bothered. You said "If Dr Feller could FUE the scar to an improvement would you be satisfied?" If I knew for sure FUE put into my scars would allow me to buzz cut my hair back to 1 guard I would set an appointment ASAP but there is no guarantees. I am just sick and tired of wasting my f%$#en money over $10,000 already on fighting hairloss and getting nothing out of it. The only product that really saved me and prolonged my looks was dermatch since 1997.

I totally understand your frustration and risk aversion. $10,000 is a lot of money. Many of us have spent even more than that. I respect Dr Feller for being honest. It is really hard to guarantee you can go back to a #1 comb. I wish I had an easy answer for you. I guess you will have to decide if the possibility of improvement is worth the $1600 with Dr Feller. How does your scar look with a #2 comb?

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

wantego just gave you a great solution: how about cutting with #2 or even #3.

However, for 1600$, i would go for it. I understand 10K is a lot but 1600$ is a small price to make you feel and look a bit better and to make you feel a bit less frustrated or depressed.

Good luck.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

You can see the longer scar from my most recent HT 1700 grafts when hair is buzzed with a 2 guard. Before my 2nd HT I used to buzz cut my hair with a 1 guard even with the small scar from 1st HT. When I said $10,000 that was money I already wasted on 2 HT and other products.

LT,

I always feel bad for hair loss sufferers when their hair loss progresses and can't commit to keeping up with it with subsequent procedures.

If time was rewindable, I could give you some great advice, but we can only start with where you are and offer you the best advice possible.

Honestly, do yourself a favor and don't waste anymore money. Picture what you'd really like to see happen and work with a doctor (like Dr. Feller) towards reasonable goals.

In other words, don't get FUE now into your scar if in two years you are going to get another strip procedure. That would be a waste of $1600 today.

There is no doubt that hair transplant surgery costs a lot. But with proper budgeting which may involve credit card loans, personal loans, or even home equity loans, you may be able to afford your hair restoration goals while keeping your household in order. Obviously, these are things you need to work out with your wife, etc.

The point is, explore ALL your options, and select the best one. But whichever you choose, it's best to commit to it otherwise you may be wasting money (and maybe even valuable donor hair).

In the meantine, feel free to use this community as a support system. For some, hair loss, and even hair transplants have made life more difficult for us. For others, hair restoration has brought their lives back.

Best wishes,

Bill

i have to laugh about that last post. during a depression you should never use your credit card, get a personal loan, or get a home equity loan. thats advise that comes from someone that wants your money through another ht no matter what the effect is on you.

Livingalie,

I noticed you never addressed me on your last post. Why is that?

If you actually read my entire post above, I advised him not to proceed at all with surgery if he isn't prepared to go in for the long term.

You clearly have no understanding of hair restoration and are blinded by your own anger and hate due to your experience (which by the way, you've never provided us with photos). But instead of directing your anger toward me and our community (who never forced you or anyone to get a hair transplant), why don't you try to seek some counsel, support, and education from us.

Bill

Believe me Bill, one of my big problems is dwelling on my past wishing I never got that 2nd HT from that below average Doctor I went to. I wish I could turn back time and go to a top Doctor back then. I also think about how I was a stud with a lot of confidence only to become depresses and angry because of hairloss.

You said "For some, hair loss, and even hair transplants have made life more difficult" that's me bro. I spent over $10,000 already, I blew my chances I didn't see a top Doc to perform my HT. So for me to get another HT is out of the question for a long time. I have been playing $10 of lotto almost every week so maybe I could get lucky then I would get a MEGA session HT. I can't even shave my head now because of my 2 strip scars so now I'm really fcked. This is why I was thinking about getting FUE put into my scars.

Is their Doctors or Scientists close to coming up with cure for hairloss?

LT spend the $1600. I think a Doctor as well regarded on this site as Dr Feller is going to do the best he can. Take a chance and see. In time you can take another chance when you have saved and your financial burdens are less. I know your pain of looking in the mirror everyday and wearing hats. Life is a bitch. People are going to think your bald from wearing a hat all the time regardless so forget about people and do what makes you feel better about the situation your in. Just know everyday you put on a hat your not the only one that does it. When I read posts like yours it helps me. I have probably 30 hats. I have no friends. I avoid all functions and social events because of my hairloss. I am 60 to 80lbs over weight because I have no self esteem and don't care anymore. I started thinning in highschool and provided hours if not years of entertainment to the beautiful crowd at my highschool. I am a social introvert. I live my life with a hat. I got a HT recently and a huge portion of my native hair fell out which I had no idea was going to occur so my fragile ego has been destroyed. I hate looking in the mirror. I am hoping that I can get to the other side of this and some of the transplanted hair will grow. I hope I picked the right Doctor but through it all I know I have my hats to cover my head. I have a career that allows the wearing of a hat which is great. I think if you can pull off the bald or balding look then get procedure done to at least to hide hopefully all of the scar. Many men blend in so well in society with their hairloss and they just deal with it. I think it will be harder to blend in with a big scar on the back of my head. Try to hide the scar and spend the money with a top Doctor and then either wear your hat or shave your head and hang in there until you can budget another shot at a HT. Take the chance to try and cover the scar and spend the money. Wear your hat or grow your hair just long enough to cover your scar and be happy in the life you have with your beautiful child and wife.

DB, this is what's good about being on here talking to other people with the same problem. Yes I am losing my frcken hair but I still stay in shape by going to the gym 4 times a week which gives me some confidence it's not a total loss. I am just trying to be helpful and say try going to a gym near you and start working out. Believe me it makes me feel good about myself at least I'm still in shape.

I'm a NW3 so I am not totally bold yet but I wear hats almost all the time to and at work. I am just sick of wearing hats but almost nobody that knows me thinks I'm losing my hair because I've been hiding it forever, hats, dermatch. I can't spend $31,000 on HTs like other people in here to get full coverage. Like I said at this point in my life I just want to shave my head like so many other guys do when they are bold but can't. I don't see getting another HT anytime soon I have to much going on right now.

Thanks LT

I read your reply and your right I should get to the gym and get some of my confidence back and start to feel good about myself. Your lucky that you can wear a hat and people that know you don't know your losing hair. I might try Dermatch as I have tried other products such as one similar to topix but I felt uncomfortable with it most likely because I felt exposed without the safety net of a hat. Thanks for the advice and I still suggest you go to Dr. Feller and take the chance he can get your scar almost covered. Take care LT!

Brother, hang in there. You have a lot going for you and you're going to get this straightened out.

Since you asked for a bit of advice Im going to give you some to consider:

1. Call Dr. Dan Didocha and do a consult with him. He as far as i know isnt a coalition doctor, but he has a track record for achieving density in repair cases for relatively LITTLE money. Ive met some of his patients and seen their work.

2. Id recommend trying to achieve some density in the immediate frontal hairline and consider using a hairpiece behind it. That way youre all natural up front and can comb your hair straight back if you so choose.

3. If possible, get out from under that huge mortgage. Convince your wife that your appearance is crucial to any quality of life that youre going to have. Since youre apparently the main breadwinner, she cant really argue with this. You appearance is going to determine your financial and social life to some degree, or at least your own perception of your appearance.

4. Dont give up, and make plans to get this fixed at least to the degree possible. There is nothing that causes major depression faster than helplessness and the feeling of no control. Think about fixing this, not obsessing over what it seems like it is now. Feel free to email me if you would like, and i will encourage you as much as possible.

5. By the way, Im a survivor of more than one HT failed.....and have had repair work.

yeoldnorge@yahoo.com

hardcore long-term veteran of hack plug doctors to ultra refined coalition doctors.

knowledgeable about show business hair transplants

I can understand your feeling but I've got only one thing to say...look at people around you and around the world...people are dying of disease, war, hunger, poverty, some people are blind, deaf, cripled..etc...there are many people who would do anything to be in your shoes right now...you are much far better than others..and you should be thankful for all the things you've got that others dont...I know hair loss has a lot of affect on us because that's how the world around us has become, i blame the media, these good looking models, stars, etc..anyway my point is, don't let this hair loss problem eat you...fight it by either just shaving your head and forget about what people might think about your scar or going for it and doing whatever you can(such as spending that money on HT or FUE)and than don't think about recession, spending lots of money,what will happen....think about all this when you get to that bridge.... ...anyway, everyone will give you various opinions but in the end, the decision is yours to make!!

hope this helps

Originally posted by celeb hair vet:

3. If possible, get out from under that huge mortgage. Convince your wife that your appearance is crucial to any quality of life that youre going to have. Since youre apparently the main breadwinner, she cant really argue with this. You appearance is going to determine your financial and social life to some degree, or at least your own perception of your appearance.

While hair is important to many of us I'm not so sure that he should put it above his beautiful wife and childs home. I think that is going a bit too far. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Sounds like 1600 is small price for possible return in you appearance.

One has to ask, is doing Nothing better than doing Something? if you do nothing, you stand no change.

For those who think that during a depression you dont take on debts, you are clearly mistaken and dont understand economics or for that matter personal choice. As long as decisions are made in a rational way and can see long-term benefits, I dont see an issue with financing - get a low-rate, and make sure you arent over-extended, period.

Best!

I understand some people like buzzed hair, I myself do when I wear it short, but why do so many of you guys insist on shaving down to a #1 knowing that you have a scar? I know that a #1 looks cool, and this isn't a criticism but can't you live with a #3? In a couple of years after the HT and with enough care of the scar, it might fade to the point that a #1 would work. I know a few things about scars and they can heal almost to a state of undetectability.

Regarding your financial concerns, budget, budget and budget. I cut out unnecessary things like eating out, and trivial things that cost money that retain no value. I know having a family and a mortgage doesn't make it easy but I would save for the $1600 is it meant that to me. Almost everyone has assets that they can part with. I believe with enough planning that you can solve this problem.

Oh, maybe you posted photos already but I would like to see photos of you.

Maybe the prominent posters on the board could all band together and start a pool that we could draw from when the time comes for each persons' HT. If we all pitched in $50 dollars a month and gave away about 30% of the total cost to members of this forum that are of a certain ranking it might help people in the situation were having the HT is somewhat needed immediately. This would work especially good in that scenario.

Well, I know this is practically a utopian idea that might never work, but hey I like big ideas and I feel there are a good number of honest posters who are eager to help.

Maybe a paypal account run by Pat or Bill.

I'm going to start a thread with this subject. Forgive me if I'm being naive here. I don't believe I am.

Good luck LT!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, thanks again for the input I appreciate it.

Celeb hair vet, yes losing my hair really sucks and makes me angry but there is no way I will sell my house and downsize because of my hair loss that is ludicrous.

Kokonut, I totally hear you about other people have it far worse than me in the world and the fact is I am lucky to have what I have it's just scks losing my hair makes me lose my confidence.

Maxhair I'll tell you why I want to buzz my hair with a 1# guard. Since my frcken hair is falling off the top of my head buzzing the sides with a 1# makes look a lot better with thinning hair than having it grow thick on the sides looks like sht. That's really nice of you to even consider starting something like raising money for people who can't afford HT at this time.