Bald patch shock loss 7 weeks post FUE

Hi everyone. This is my very first thread or post for that matter. I've been following many of your journeys for years. This forum is AMAZING. I just recently had my third HT on June 17. I've been a diffuse thinner so my grafts were spread evenly in my previous procedures, however this time I wanted more density in the front. We planned to have 1500 grafts for the front, 1200 in the middle and the remainder for the crown totalling 3370 grafts. What I experienced approximately four weeks post op as my native and previously transplanted hairs started to grow back, was a bald patch began to appear and get progressively larger right in the front of my scalp. The new grafts shed which I expected but the other hair didn't seem to grow through and "shocked". There are also a few hairs that have stayed the same length for several weeks, they don't seem to be growing. They could very well be transplanted hairs that have not yet shed, I'm not sure. My main concern is about this patch in the front area. I haven't seen anyone else with anything similar and I am concerned and worried what could have caused this, if my hair will return and newly transplanted hair grow. There was never any infections and I followed my Doctors instructions for the aftercare. It's very distressing, I've contacted my Dr and the best advice I have been given is that this can occur and I will have to wait and see. As you can see, I had quite good coverage and a strong hairline prior to this most recent procedure. Both previous procedures were smaller FUT procedures (2100 k 2200) & I was able to grow my pre-existing hair and style it while I waited for the new hair to grow without noticing any shock loss. If anyone could please offer me some re-assurance, some advice or some knowledge of similar experiences that have recovered. It would be so helpful right now, just so I don't feel so on my own. I'm trying to keep my chin up but feel quite deflated each time I look in the mirror. I appreciate your time in reading and responding. I will post further pictures, unfortunately my iPad would only let me upload one photo at a time

image.jpg.b068878b6e68b08763af92a8e3cb7e00.jpg

Edited by tsav84

Keep an eye on it. This is especially if you had native hairs there before. Shockloss can be temporary but it seems it can also be permanent if transection occurred based on placement. Monitor it fir a few months and save your photos. Hopefully, things go smooth but id watch with caution.

Thanks for the reply's. No it wasn't super dense since13, I don't know the exact density but since I already had decent existing hair, dense packing wasn't necessary. Just general thickening. I appreciate you saying that you've seen worse that have recovered. I have just not ever seen anyone with similar circumstances to me that experience a patch like shock loss. It also appeared quite early after the procedure. At about the 3rd to 4th week I noticed there was no hair re-growing in that area.

Feel sorry that you are going through this. It's impossible to predict what will happen. Time will tell us. Talk to your doctor about it and try, difficult, to not think about it and be positive:)

Your shock loss is not that dissimilar to mine, except mine is deeper into the scalp, above the transplanted hair. As I have written in my post, my shock loss didn't appear until 3 months post op. I am now 6 months post op & the recovery is very slow. Whats more I would be terrified to try a repair job if it does turn out to be permanent as I fear it could become a game of chasie across my scalp. Shock loss is a bitch...

Mikey1970 I read your thread. It's a very bizarre occurance especially with the extremely small number of grafts you had done. Shock loss is a result of trauma to the scalp and that number would not have caused significant trauma at all. Have you been extremely stressed or experiencing any kind of emotional trauma recentl? This too sometimes can cause our body to react in strange ways. It also may have something to do with applying that much rogaine every day. You say that your shock loss recovered though from previous surgeries. At what month approximately did it shock and when did it regrow?

With my larger procedure in April 2014 I had massive shock loss ( like your bald spot but most of my frontal scalp) within 2-3 weeks post op. I was recovering really nicely by 3 months & close to 100% by 4 months.

I didnt start applying excessive Rogaine until this most recent episode of shock loss from the small procedure in May 2015. I am pretty sure that under normal circumstances i would have been ok, but i had three procedures in 14 months, three lots of anaesthetic etc. Maybe it was too much anaesthetic? My surgeon is calling it "telogen on telogen" & that i may have thrown the growth phases out? I had some minor shock locally 2-3 weeks after my Feb 2015 proecure but at the 3 month mark it rapidly spread & i pretty much overnight lost a large amount of hair, approx 2 inches from the area of work.

I think you have good reason to be confident of complete recovery....i can only hope the same for myself.

Thank you Mikey1970 I am feeling much more confident now. I am actually starting to get excited and looking forward to seeing the results unfold. Both previous transplanted started to grow in around at the 5 month mark. Very early days.

As for your situation, sending you good energy. Wait it out and then re-asses in given time and seek out professional opinions about which approach is best to take. Then just take the action that seems best for you at the time. You have options for sure, lots of donor hair still available.

All the very best mate:)

• 1 year later...