To young for HT

I've been reseaching HT's for 1 year now. I have read that having a proceduere when you are young can cause problems later on. I am 27 and have been loosing hair since I was 16. Am I still too young to consider having a hair transplant?

Hi, 27 is not too young for a transplant.

We really need to see pictures of how advanced your hair loss is. In addition, the most important thing when undergoing a transplant is to prevent further hair loss by taking medication like propecia. All good surgeons will tell you the same.

Get on propecia for at least 6 months and consult a few recommended surgeons.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

There's no definite age that is "too young" for a transplant, as this varies from individual to individual. Of course, there are definitely valid reasons many people give for waiting until you're a bit older to have a hair transplant, but there are also very valid reasons to not wait that long.

The best thing you can do is to get an evaluation by a surgeon recommended here on this site. The fact that you've been losing hair since you were 16 is a bit disconcerting, as it may indicate that you are on your way to a very advanced level of hair loss. However, this is something that can be addressed with a proper evaluation. The surgeon will be able to do diagnostic testing and get a rough "roadmap" of sorts as to where it looks like your hair loss is ultimately heading. Based on the miniaturization levels of your existing hairs, genetics, etc., the surgeon can get a pretty good idea of where you're heading and advise/plan accordingly.

Propecia is also a very important tool to use when dealing with hair loss (as well as Rogaine). The Propecia won't prevent future hair loss completely, but it will definitely slow it down quite considerably and buy you extra time.

I hope this helps. Find some surgeons on here that spark your interest and look into setting up a consultation with them. That will help you tremendously in coming with a game plan that works for you.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Administrators

27 is not to young, most physicians want the patient to be at least in their mid 20's, the reason is that your hair loss could progress dramitically in a few years, its better to wait until your hairloss has stabilized before attempting a hair transplant, just to give you an example of how bad things can get in a few years, if you're to young its virtually impossible to guess how bald you're going to be, but generally at 27 if your destined to be really bald you'd already be able to tell by that age.

me at 24 years old in 2009

dbgq52.jpg

Me at 29 years old 2014

jadz5h.jpg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

That is quite a dramatic change and a virtual primer on how hair loss can indeed occur quickly. I daresay you're not done yet either. Any plan of action?

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Guest OlmecSurgery

Hey Lad,

Happy to inform you that here in india we do perform hair transplant at very cheap rate only 0.5$ per graft

you can visit us at (Link removed by moderator - see Terms of Service)

there is no age restriction in getting a hair transplant and planted hairs are permanent

thank you

Edited by David - Moderator

Hi all,

Another of my issues is that i'm not an experienced traveller so I would really like to have the procedure done in the UK, but price may be a factor for me. Anyone from the UK have a story to share?

Hi, looking at your pictures, your hair loss pattern is already established.

Since you are on propecia I think you would be suitable for a hair transplant.

I would recommend you consult with the top docs in Europe such as Lorenzo, erdogan and Bisanga.

Just be aware that you need to have a long term plan so that if future hair loss occurs, you have plenty of donor left.

Good luck mate!

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

• Administrators
That is quite a dramatic change and a virtual primer on how hair loss can indeed occur quickly. I daresay you're not done yet either. Any plan of action?

Yea, I've currently done two hair restoration procedures, just to show you guys its not all bad news lol. Heres what I looked like in 2014

jhy742.jpg

and heres what I look like prior to my second surgery

28uih1.jpg

still thin, but quite a drastic improvement, I suspect by next year with this new transplant I should look even better.

@Htsoon Man and Dam that really escalated quickly!!That's pretty sad, you should have really considered Fin or Minoxidil.

I'm way past the point of feeling sad, I'm at the point of what i'm going to do to improve my situation. Which is what every balding guy should be at, I did feel sad at the time even when I took that picture with the mohawk, I was losing so much hair at that time, if I would have gone on minoxidil I might've been able to save some, but I tried minoxidil when I was 22 and the shedding freaked me out, I tried finasteride and dutasteride and both gave me really bad side effects unfortunately. Otherwise i'd be on it right now.

OP, try and post some pics on tinypic.com or photobucket its easier to view on here, I can't see the pics you uploaded as attachments.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hey I would say that in th UK it's probably going to hit you for 3/4 times the price than it would to go to Turkey including your travel. Bite the bullet and start contacting people. You can start by sending some emails to people in UK and wherever. Get some pictures ready of different angles plus the back so they can see doner area. It will take you a few minutes to send an email. No point in waiting any longer. Get some consultations booked in and go for it. They can only give you a price and more info. If you don't have the cash at that point nothing lost a bit of your time is all.

I had a hair transplant at 23, after being on minoxidil and propecia for just over 2 years. I don't think 27 is too young but at the same time you have to think about the future - don't waste too many grafts on a hair line because you might need work done further down the road.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I'm way past the point of feeling sad, I'm at the point of what i'm going to do to improve my situation. Which is what every balding guy should be at, I did feel sad at the time even when I took that picture with the mohawk, I was losing so much hair at that time, if I would have gone on minoxidil I might've been able to save some, but I tried minoxidil when I was 22 and the shedding freaked me out, I tried finasteride and dutasteride and both gave me really bad side effects unfortunately. Otherwise i'd be on it right now.

Dude. That attitude is very encouraging and I'm sure will provide a new perspective to many guys reading this that may be in the same situation you were/are in.

Glad to see you're making such great progress. I'd love to see your results from the 2nd HT once they start to show. If you don't mind, make a new post when that times comes with pictures showing the progression from when you were 24 to present. The rapid rate at which your hair loss progressed in the beginning is fascinating, and I'm so glad to see that you're not only taking steps to fix it, but that you didn't let it devastate you in the process.

Best of luck.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56