Fallout/Shed Question

I had a smaller procedure 19 days ago - 1550 fue.

I know it can take a bit for transplanted hair to fallout, but I haven't seen 1 hair drop. I've looked very close with magnified mirrors etc. - transplants have definitely grown in the 19 days. Is this normal and I should be in a be calm and wait 5 months mode??

My surgeon is said it can take up to 4 weeks, or longer at times to begin to see transplanted hair begin to shed and if will not effect my results. I just wanted your guys opinion if this sound right with your experience?

Thanks -

Untitled0.jpg.021728d0c758c175a25c1d08b331ef70.jpg

Untitled01.jpg.326e1789d2a6e18fa2d501f4322b2259.jpg

Untitled1.jpg.1bc413b721cda7d289b2e4b5c64ac88e.jpg

Untitled2.jpg.684a853f2481a6368e2aaf15e167b97d.jpg

Yes - we talked quite a bit about coverage. I'm 49, really just wanted a very conservative procedure. I just wanted to attempt to fill in, and follow the existing hairline I had - pic 1.

I'm hoping that will be done. I like how tightly packed the grafts are, but If I need a 2nd procedure, I'll do that.

Dr. Samuel Feinberg. He is with Christie Clinic in downstate Illinois. I had went to a consultation with a recommended Dr. in Chicago, but in talking with Feinberg, seeing results and talking/seeing results with someone that had a similar size/scope procedure with Feinberg- I went with him. It worked out well because of my location too.

Now - I wait :-/

The transplanted hair will shed in the first month usually and massaging can really assist this. The hair appears to grow but is actually being expelled and when this happens has no bearing on the final outcome. Wash and massage well and try to encourage the hair to fall.

I personally shed little in the first week, more day 8 to 14 and then gradually more to week 4 and some take longer so don't be too concerned as your doctor rightly said and all the best.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

I'm 21 days post-op myself. Haven't seen a whole lot of shedding either. There are some pieces sized as big as eye brows when i feel my scalp area...

Btw, can i scratch my head when i get an itch? Also, my doc advised me to stop taking minodix until another week as i might damage my grafts? is that plausible?

Not familiar with your doc, but shedding in 4 weeks is normal. Have you began to see a pinkish scalp in the recipient zone since the shedding? Did you get any pre-op and post-op pics from the clinic? Thanks for sharing.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I would say I have a 75% shed at this point. I'm 37 days out from the procedure.I did notice quit of bit of pinkish area throughout the entire recipient zone. It seems less pink over the last few days, but I am not entirely certain. I work from home and have worn out two mirrors from checking my progress :)

pink is good/normal?

I have a follow up on the 10th of August. They did take some photos. I need to remember to request them.

• 5 weeks later...

I believe it's around the same at 75%. It's getting hard to tell. Visually I can't really tell unless magnified. I can feel the hair that has not shed when I rub my head.

It's almost like the remaining hair that did not shed has broke off close to the scalp to some degree? I don't know if that's possible or not. What remains is a lot shorter than after the procedure.

• 3 weeks later...

4 days shy of 3 months.

I work from home so I check the mirror constantly. Two weeks ago I was going through the doubting my decision phase. Within the last week I have (guessing) a hundred new hairs that have popped through. Most are very thin with very little color as of yet, but still, is exciting as hell! :D

I will post some pics in the next couple of weeks.

• 1 month later...

4 months today. It is amazing the progress that is made month to month. From what I started with, at 4 months I really have no complaints. I still have quite a few hairs that have just broke skin, and it seems to be thickening weekly.First picture is the morning before the surgery. The rest are today.

Untitled0.jpg.c47365326d5532f768924ea4e3ed570b.jpg

IMG_9951.jpg.87bb367ae4cc0f364d87eb7037ff9707.jpg

IMG_9933.jpg.73f945b74b7111b0b7ff3fc3977d4569.jpg

IMG_9942.jpg.4a71c88c2483e1fcba82dc275fd7ea8e.jpg

IMG_9940.jpg.e5d0ebd0c81ccbf9d58b6af558cd81da.jpg

IMG_9927.jpg.600d19b02d96f58068426d03f5be97db.jpg

Im in the same boat. Im 22 days post op FUT (posted recipient area pics yesterday) and no shed at all. I had no redness or scabbing at any stage so there wasnt really a big visual transition to monitor.

I think the best thing you can do is nothing....unless theres still scabs present.

When I shampoo I "press" my recipient area delicately but deliberately rather than massage. I've also been taking baths, which I find much easier. You can soak your head which I find allows some of the debris to dislodge more easily than if you powered through it with a showerhead.

Also, from what I've read, not everyone sheds, not all areas shed at the same rate either. Personally, It's extended my downtime, but it'll also allow me to stay away from concealers longer.

• 7 months later...

A few days shy of 1 year. All and all, extremely happy with my decision. I went with only around 1600 grafts, as I only wanted to fill an age appropriate hairline. Definitely feel it was worth it, I started from nothing as you can see at the start of this thread.

I haven't wore a hat in 6 months - that alone was worth it!

IMG_20160616_120255446.thumb.jpg.0ac105618ac125fd9700732725b51a96.jpg

IMG_20160616_120830749.thumb.jpg.22ad348fc80fc61aafffa5a6e21e777a.jpg

IMG_20160616_120808000.thumb.jpg.a3ebffece17678a740c6ad4d1bac9368.jpg

IMG_20160616_120858180.thumb.jpg.207961c6dfaffc6ab714e9e865fbca7f.jpg

Glad your happy "Zenlife". Conservative procedure but you are clearly pleased. Hopefully the new hairs may thicken a bit over time for you.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.