I don't want to use any meds after hair transplant. Is that OK?

Cheers everyone,

I had ht 3 weeks ago, and my doc advised me to use Minoxidil. But the thing is I don't want to use any meds. That's why I had ht in the first place.

Is there anybody here that didn't use any meds post op, and still got good results on the transplanted area?:confused:

According to the information I gathered going through this forum:

The transplanted hair grows fine but slowly starts going thin because of the DHT that is still prevalent in your scalp. With help of finasteride, you can block the DHT and make life of your transplanted hair longer.

HT with Dr Radha - 30th June 2015

Total grafts: 3168 (1's: 930, 2's: 2090, 3's: 148 )

Total hair: 5554

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Multivitamin tablet daily

Cod liver oil capsule twice a day

Minoxidil 5% solution (1ml) once a day

Nizoral Shampoo 1% (once a week)

I made the mistake of not going on meds years ago. Although I only had frontal recession for a long time, which meds probably wouldn't have solved, over the last few years my crown and vertex have been slowly thinning. I'm now taking Avodart 0.5 mg a day, for a year, and will then switch to Propecia for life. I've been on Avodart for two weeks and have had no sides so far. I don't think it's too late for me to fix my thinning issues with another HT and some SMP, but it was a significant mistake not to go on meds earlier.

In the same position ...kinda. Want to get a HT but been told by several people not to bother unless i'm on meds. Whilst I think Minox is never going to hurt, Fin is something I am concerned about. See below in the Hairloss treatments forum, I've posted about topical meds as a possibly option, hoping someone can advise on it!

In the same position ...kinda. Want to get a HT but been told by several people not to bother unless i'm on meds. Whilst I think Minox is never going to hurt, Fin is something I am concerned about. See below in the Hairloss treatments forum, I've posted about topical meds as a possibly option, hoping someone can advise on it!

Why not go on Propecia to try it out? Then stick with it if you don't get bad/persistent sides. Like I say, there may be another product on the market in five years or so, then you could switch to that.

Why not go on Propecia to try it out? Then stick with it if you don't get bad/persistent sides. Like I say, there may be another product on the market in five years or so, then you could switch to that.

I've thought about it, but as the sides can be permanent it's still a bit risk. Tbh, I have lost all hope of there ever being something better than Fin being developed. There is just too much money in things the way they currently are, even in 5 or 10 years I doubt much will have changed.

Well if the (what seems to me to be fairly slight) risk bothers you more than losing your hair then I guess that's the choice you make. I'm not sure about the drugs companies sticking with status quo so far as Fin is concerned; there may be even more profit to be made in an improved product coming onto the market.

I predict I would regret it considerably more if I had irreversible sides from it, no matter how slight the risk of them occurring is. Losing my hair this much at this age is hell and completely f****ng my entire psyche up, so obviously is a huge issue for me, however I imagine there are plenty of guys out there who really wish they'd learned to cope with baldness instead of putting their health and reproductive abilities at risk.

There might be and I do hope you are right, but the only things in the pipeline at the moment are Replicel/Shiseido & Bimatoprost...and they seems to be following the same paths as all the other "wonder cures" we've been promised....hype, hype...delay....nothing. Baldness at 25 makes one a horrible cynic...

You don't need to use minoxidil. It won't impact the survival of your grafts in any way imo. However I do believe it can speed up your hair growth post-op. If you don't want to do it, don't.

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

I predict I would regret it considerably more if I had irreversible sides from it, no matter how slight the risk of them occurring is. Losing my hair this much at this age is hell and completely f****ng my entire psyche up, so obviously is a huge issue for me, however I imagine there are plenty of guys out there who really wish they'd learned to cope with baldness instead of putting their health and reproductive abilities at risk.

There might be and I do hope you are right, but the only things in the pipeline at the moment are Replicel/Shiseido & Bimatoprost...and they seems to be following the same paths as all the other "wonder cures" we've been promised....hype, hype...delay....nothing. Baldness at 25 makes one a horrible cynic...

Maybe I'm being over-optimistic about there being a practical alternative to Propecia within the next ten years, seeing as there's been no tangible breakthrough in the market for almost twenty years since Propecia's inception. But I don't accept the drugs companies and scientific researchers are content with settling on Fin. It's a full throttle capitalist race to the baldness cure pot of gold, and according to the constant drip of news articles (including over the last couple of days: https://globalcosmeticsnews.com/asia-australasia/1544/shiseido-claims-to-have-found-a-cure-for-baldness-available-from-2018 ) progress is fast being made.

TBH, I don't think you're being entirely balanced about the risks of being on Propecia. Hairloss is causing you hell, yet you seem to give disproportionate weight to the very small minority of people who claim permanent side effects after stopping Propecia. Life is full of risk, and over-mitigating it with speculative what-ifs is a mistake.

thanks for the replies guys,

I think I'll go without meds. 7 years ago I took propecia for 2 months, it didn't work for me. Too many side effects. It isn't worth the risk. And for me being dependent on meds is almost as bad as baldness.

IMO it is best to wait till you lose most of the hair in a certain area and then get HT.

I'm almost in my ugly duckling period, half of the transplanted hair has gone and the rest will probably shed next week. I will let you know about the result in September.

I'm on my second week of fin. After just 5 days I started experiencing an overwhelming exhaustion. I spoke with my doc about this and all she had to say was that she hadn't had reports of that side effect previously.

I hope something is on the horizon. As of now, it's looking like a razor for me. I'm not sure I would get a HT at this point without adequate assurances that I could slow/halt the progression of the loss.

For what it's worth, I'm using minoxidil daily with no side effects.

I didn't use Minoxidil and don't think it is necessary, due to many of the reasons users have posted here. I also stopped using Propecia as it was affecting my sexual life. I had 3 HTs, and the meds made no difference. I personally think meds are overrated, but thats just me.

I am on Fin 1mg a day, have had no side effects and intend to carry on for 1 year, another 3 months. Just wondered whether anyone could advise whether I just stop or phase myself of it. On another note I am definitely convinced that going on the Fin has enhanced my end result.

Dr Bhatti FUE Oct 2014 3305 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178931-my-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-oct-2014-a.html

I didn't use Minoxidil and don't think it is necessary, due to many of the reasons users have posted here. I also stopped using Propecia as it was affecting my sexual life. I had 3 HTs, and the meds made no difference. I personally think meds are overrated, but thats just me.

thanks Angelino, I appreciate your comment. I'm going without meds and I also think it is better to get another HT if necessary.

I am on Fin 1mg a day, have had no side effects and intend to carry on for 1 year, another 3 months. Just wondered whether anyone could advise whether I just stop or phase myself of it. On another note I am definitely convinced that going on the Fin has enhanced my end result.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178931-my-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-oct-2014-a.html

Shera hi, I don't take propecia, but some people say it's better to lower the dosage before stopping. I am sure there are more experienced guys here to help you, maybe you should start a new thread.

It's not an end result if you stop using Fin. By stopping, either abruptly or phasing out, you will sooner or later lose any gains the meds caused you.

Minoxidil does not inhibit DHT but low dose finasteride does and for most men, effectively.

Yet any of the hair loss meds are an elective decision. They are recommended because of the fact that MPB is progressive over a lifetime. Low dose finasteride can potentially slow down that progression and buy us more time.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Stay on it buddy, especially if you have had no side effects.