Anxiety Levels?

If there's one thing I have more of than hair loss, it's anxiety on a daily basis.

My anxiety is increased in social situations where I'm surrounded by constantly talking people. I find myself overwhelmed trying to keep up with the conversations.

I am making progress towards having a procedure but I'm already feeling anxiety thinking of the million (or less) questions I will need to answer at parties and social gatherings.

How have any of you dealt with this type of anxiety?

Anxiety can be a scary and even socially debilitating condition - but it can be overcome. It's a matter of continuous steps to treat and you've taken a big one just by opening up here.

In a situation where you are inundated by numerous conversations, try to focus on just one and engage that person -

Turn your anxiety about your HT around by arming yourself ahead of time and becoming the 'expert' of your own procedure and you will find yourself speaking with confidence and actually encouraging questions and dialogue.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Some advise from somebody who knows & feel what your saying.

Hit the gym 4 / 5 days a wk & throughout the day take 5 mins out & do some breathing exercises on your own seperate from anybody else & just close your eyes & inhale slowely & think of nothing let your mind just fly & be free....sounds a bit nuts right? Just try it but also make sure you do them exersises on a daily basis.

Yoga is another good thing....that stuff is just great to re train your brain to funtion better in a positive way.

But myself the thing I notice which helps me the most is defo exersise/ swimming/ walking / & reading.

Maybe look into some St Johns wart but cross check that with your Dr first.

Your not alone.

Good luck

Edited by ontop
edit

Great advice here already. I especially agree with the exercise point that Ontop made. When our bodies are tired, our brains tend to be able to relax and slow down more easily as well. Whether this be going for a jog, lifting weights, etc. - just do something physical to get your heart rate up and use a lot of energy.

Meditation is also helpful, but it's something that's easier said than done for some people (myself, namely :) ). I find that it's really hard for me to shut my brain off to meditate, and it definitely takes some practice. You can find guided meditations on Spotify for free if you're interested in something like that. There's one I use every night to help me wind down and fall asleep, for example. It's called "Guided Meditation for Sleep" by Ian Cameron Smith. It last about 30 minutes, but I have very rarely made it past the minute mark before I am completely relaxed and asleep.... And then of course, the more sleep you get, the more capable you'll be of handling stress and/or anxiety during the day.

And last thing: While all of these little tips are helpful, I know that for myself the only thing that really helped me get my anxiety under control was a really good therapist. I had pretty severe OCD (which is a form of an anxiety disorder) for nearly 20 years before I finally stopped trying to fix it myself and got professional help. I can't stress enough how much it allowed me to gain control of my life for the first time, as my OCD/anxiety had dictated everything I had done up to that point.

There's a specific kind of therapy called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy that is extremely helpful in dealing with anxiety disorders. Not only is it easy and has a very high success rate, but it usually works really fast as well. I started seeing improvements within the first month, and after 6 months of weekly therapy, I had been given so many tools to use in my daily life that I am now able to move forward without the therapy.

I'd be happy to talk to you more in depth about it if you want. But the biggest thing to know right now is is that this isn't something you have to deal with forever. There are answers/solutions out there, and practical ways of fixing this. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

It never hurts to get evaluated for high anxiety issues especially if it seems overwhelming. It could be simply an issue of getting some counseling and then again if it is something that requires clinical treatment, you will know by getting evaluated.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks there is good advice from you also.

There is more people out than we may think who suffer the same all be it on different levels its hard to really put stuff like this in words esp on a forum, its easyer I find speaking to someone to at least get this stuff of your chest...

For somebody like us 3 so far we all have it & its defo not fun & puts you in a bad mood because your not in control but like the OP said these things can be put in your control, you just got to dind the key which train your mind to a positive mind.

Talking about books I'm just getting into that audible.com where you listen to books that's a cool thing & there is a book called WTF I forgot ..LOL but its a book which teaches you how to take control of your life....dam I'm pissed I can't remember sorry but anyways there is plenty on there to listen to...try it prior before going to bed or even a nice 30 min walk.

Again your not alone there buddy there are thousands of us poor souls out there trust me.

Check your magnesium levels. As i know Mg deficiency can contribute to high anxiety.

Unfortunately for most people there's a chemical imbalance in the brain that gives that anxiety.

That's why beta-blockers such as xanax work and make you peaceful and calm. But i don't reccomend them, they can create addiction and become inefficient at some point, and you end up with more harm than good.

Oh, and you can check your blood pressure also. I had high blood pressure and it was contributing to anxiety, now i treat it and i feel that my anxiety has dropped.

Otherwise, i don';t get exactly your problem: you try to talk to many people at once or how?

And yes, very good advice above with practicing sports/physical activity, it lowers your stress and anxiety levels.

I appreciate all of the advice and encouragement.

Just last night I had to leave a store because they made a closing time announcement and then I started worrying about making a decision in time, will I make the right decision, etc.

On the plus side, I saved money by leaving before buying:)

Hey

Can I just clarify, is the anxiety due to your hair loss? Do you feel anxious about people looking at you when you haven't got a full head of hair? If this is the case I would be concerned as a hair transplant may not solve this deep rooted (no pun intended!) feeling.

If on the other hand your anxiety is not associated with your hair loss, then I feel the advise given above is good, but I would also try and seek professional help. Don't be prevented by the stigma around mental health, there are people out there that can help you. You shouldn't have to feel like this, and social situations can (maybe even should) be one of the things that you, as a human being, enjoy.

Good luck :D

Anxiety can be a horribly debilitating and restricting condition. Some really good advice on here already so I can't really add too much. pkipling mentioned CBT. I've heard really good things about its success rate in dealing with anxiety so that may be something you should consider. Wish you all the best moving forward.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.