Joe Tillman, Heading Back to Turkey!!!

Why? Becuase I love self-punishment, obviously. Seriously, though; I'm going back because I'm going to be attending the 3rd Annual Mediterranean FUE Workshop hosted by Dr. Koray Erdogan and Asmed. I'm leaving this afternoon, hopping on a jet plane and Dr. Erdogan was generous enough to invite me to the conference and allow me access to any and all doctors that are willing to be interviewed on camera. So here is your chance to get involved.

I'll be asking some questions of my own but I want to present your questions as well. I can't promise who will answer your question or if anyone I interview will answer it at all but as long as your questions are fair and respectful I'll present them on your behalf on camera. Copy and paste the list below with your question added in order.

Great Joe, thanks for doing this!

1. Have you observed that in the case of a 2nd FUE procedure the yield can be impaired because of the "micro scarring" in the donor area from the 1st procedure? If so, to what degree and what are the factors playing a role in this?

2. FUT holds the advantage of having a 3D microscopic view of the hair follicle. FUE doesn't have this advantage therefore many are of opinion that the variability of damage to the grafts will be higher. This might sometimes result in less yield. Do you feel that this is a valid disadvantage of FUE in current days. Yes/No, could you elaborate further why?

3. Which factors of FUE can still be improved upon?

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

Just a few;). Feel free to improve on the wording:

1. What are the typical upper and lower total grafts (over multiple sessions) that can be achieved via FUE without impacting the appearance of the donor area (for example when cut to a grade 3)?

2. What proportion of the world population can realistically achieve over 7,000 grafts via FUE only? (with consideration of the wide variation of donor densities according to ethnicity, worldwide)

3. Are there patients who would achieve a better result via FUT instead of FUE?

4. Do you perform a FOX test (or similar) before accepting a patient for FUE? If not, why not?

5. It is accepted that FUE generally delivers a reduced growth yield compared to the traditional strip method and sometimes results are not as expected. What is the lower percentage yield you have seen out of your practice and what do you normally achieve on average?

6. Do you believe the ARTAS system eventually replace the use of hand held manual and motorised punches?

7. How do you determine what is the safe FUE donor area in a young patient?

8. Motorised versus Manual punch: when both are performed properly, does one produce better results than the other?

9. How has FUE improved in the last 15 years?

10. What is the best method for implanting FUE grafts: implanter pen versus lateral slit & forceps placement?

11. Achieving maximum lifetime grafts: FUT first followed by FUE or the other way around?

12. If you have over 3000 grafts will you be able to 'bic' your head without any visible scarring?

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Joe,

That's great. I was also invited to attend. Unfortunately, I had a pre-existing engagement. It would have been nice to meet in person.

I look forward to your updates!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Just a few;). Feel free to improve on the wording:

1. What are the typical upper and lower total grafts (over multiple sessions) that can be achieved via FUE without impacting the appearance of the donor area (for example when cut to a grade 3)?

2. What proportion of the world population can realistically achieve over 7,000 grafts via FUE only? (with consideration of the wide variation of donor densities according to ethnicity, worldwide)

3. Are there patients who would achieve a better result via FUT instead of FUE?

4. Do you perform a FOX test (or similar) before accepting a patient for FUE? If not, why not?

5. It is accepted that FUE generally delivers a reduced growth yield compared to the traditional strip method and sometimes results are not as expected. What is the lower percentage yield you have seen out of your practice and what do you normally achieve on average?

6. Do you believe the ARTAS system eventually replace the use of hand held manual and motorised punches?

7. How do you determine what is the safe FUE donor area in a young patient?

8. Motorised versus Manual punch: when both are performed properly, does one produce better results than the other?

9. How has FUE improved in the last 15 years?

10. What is the best method for implanting FUE grafts: implanter pen versus lateral slit & forceps placement?

11. Achieving maximum lifetime grafts: FUT first followed by FUE or the other way around?

12. If you have over 3000 grafts will you be able to 'bic' your head without any visible scarring?

Good questions.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Great Idea Joe....

Blake is going to love this question....Sorry Blake couldnt help myself.....i sure hope Joe pulls this one out...LOL

Do FUE Folicals grow in such a way like a Kinky/ wiry or you dont see any difference from somebody who had FUT? are they both the same?

I

I can tell you that a few of my FUE transplanted follicles do grow in a kinky and wiry way.

Maybe so, but maybe it depends on the skill of the Dr also the tools used.

So let me ask you this then.

How long did this kinky/ wiry stuff last then? Or is it still showing after say 12mths or when it matures?

On top,

Haha. You're right, I do love it! I'm sure there will be disagreement from those who only practice FUE, but London is a patient telling you first hand: it happens. Not every time, but it does happen.

It's not really dependent on the surgeon either. I've seen it happen with the best. It's an inherent issue with the technique.

Grafts -- strip and FUE -- grow wiry in the first 9 months because of distortion of the inner portion of the follicle. With time, the pieces fall back into the right place and this resolves. However, if there is permanent distortion from damage, it will grow this way even after the 12 month mark.

Doesn't happen everything every time, doesn't happen to every follicle, but it is something that can occur.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I don't think that the wirey growth can be attributed to a technique blindly. It absolutely does depend on the skill of the surgeon as I've seen more than my fair share of wirey growth cases via FUSS.

Ontop,

I did ask this question and I have an interview with a doctor that addresses it. Unfortunately I did not get as many interviews as I would have liked as it was absolute pandamonium during the conference. Everyone had schedules and during the social events it was just too loud to record anything worth while. I'm going to have a more stable environment in September at the ISHRS meeting in Chicago to conduct interviews so I think that will be a more fruitfull environment to work in.

I'm catching up on emails and some meetings for the next few days and I still have my videos to edit from my trip last month to Istanbul so please be patient with my updates.

Joe,

It could happen with FUSS if techs mishandled the grafts and caused compressive damage during placement. However, this would be an avoidable situation with strip, whereas it's something that can happen even with the most careful extraction in FUE.

Look forward to seeing some of the new content!

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Joe,

Good point. Another good example of compressive damage from a mishap.

Grafts -- strip and FUE -- grow wiry in the first 9 months because of distortion of the inner portion of the follicle. With time, the pieces fall back into the right place and this resolves. However, if there is permanent distortion from damage, it will grow this way even after the 12 month mark.

Doesn't happen everything every time, doesn't happen to every follicle, but it is something that can occur.

Dr. Blake,

I agree 100% of above

but what really matters is that more often, once the folicals has Matured then it start to straighten out. but i do get the feeling that like joe states folicals esp when taken out is i think where this could play a role and also say they use of that motorized tool that could also be a issue, the way i see it the more stress that folical comes under the more damage it may have or even survive.

These Folicals are very very fragile to much traction or mis handled by Drs or Techs could be a huge difference between a success or fail

Joe.....

Thank you for all your hard work to better educate hair loss suffers in this world

we need people like you and Blake in this world.

keep up the good work guys.

Have a good day im off to my workout.....arrrrr

Edited by ontop
edit