FUT of 2,000 grafts recommended

Hi, everyone,

So far I have had two hair transplants. The first was an FUT by Dr. Robert Leonard in October 2013 (unknown number of grafts, since he does not reveal the number ). The second transplant was an FUE in October 2014 (graft number 1,100). I am really disappointed with the results thus far; and neither doctor who worked on me is recommended on this site. (I have learned my lesson.)

I have attached photographs of my hairline (my primary concern) and hair. (The hair loss has mostly been at the hairline and a little further back, as you can see more clearly in my "after shower" photo.) I reached out to Dr. Rahal, who feels a third transplant is necessary, and felt that was so based on looking at my results eight months post surgery 2. (The nine month mark for surgery 2 is right around the corner in early July.) Dr. Rahal recommends 2,000 grafts, which would be done with FUT since I cannot afford an FUE. Any thoughts? I just do not want to rush into anything anymore since I have been let down more than once now. I am also scared about depleting my donor area. Dr. Rahal may be able to see me in August. The problem is I may have to come up with a final decision on that within the next few hours; I do not have time to think about it since it is so close to now.

I also have a consultation scheduled with Dr. True next month. Any thoughts on him?

Thanks, everyone.

5b32e6948e8a1_closeuphairline.jpg.d28c32a6b499bc88c355cc0a831959a2.jpg

5b32e694ab21d_closeuprightside.jpg.36579e2f50fcd13bca41a796207bd26e.jpg

5b32e694c2b07_closeupleftside.jpg.277437caf131a7c8217e815bf1ce5769.jpg

Back.jpg.97b8194aa920968690fe2c4597fd2033.jpg

Top.jpg.7b2666a2a21512c3b95ff8776f3a4597.jpg

5b32e69516552_Hairlineaftershower.jpg.800425eddedaff392a7cb20640ae3fd0.jpg

5b32e6952dacd_Driedhairandunstyled.jpg.3c7348f3689b86c7cc3e5e6415de0049.jpg

Personally I think 2k sounds slightly excessive. Big fan of Rahal's work but you already have a well-defined hairline and seem to need a slight density bump at the hairline. Perhaps he anticipates that you may lose some of the existing hair in due process or intends to work behind the hairline and "shore up" for future loss.

Prima facie though I reckon 2k is not necessary to achieve your goals. With the obvious caveat that I am in no way qualified to tell you how many grafts you need! :$

Edit: As others have noted you don't really "need" the bump I mention. That's my poor choice of words; I should have said you desire it! :)

Edited by thatoldchestnut

my thoughts are this.... you have a full head of hair, you look great, save your money don't bother with any more HT, you don't need it. trust me you have a great looking hair, take care seth

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

Your hair looks fine right now and you appear to be pretty young. No way I'd do another 2,000 in your hairline. If anything you need to do a FUE touch up of around 500-1000 grafts but I would just wait. I'd like to see your before and after pictures because you said you're unhappy with the results of your previous HT's yet you look like you pretty much have a full head of hair.

I am confused as well. Why are you going in for a HT with the current state of your hair? Furthermore, considering you have already expended 1100 grafts + an unknown amount, you have to take into account potential future loss and the impact a lowered hairline might have on your future appearance. IMO, you don't need a HT.

Borromeo1517,

I can see why you are unhappy with your current hairline it lacks density and there appears to be some larger transplanted FU's into the immediate hairline. It needs refining with greater density. I would not rush into anything as you have already used up some valuable donor hair. Take your time to look at options.

I would say around 1500- 2000 grafts would appear to look about right depending on how far the thinning extends into the scalp. How old are you and are you taking Propecia?

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Hi, everyone,

So far I have had two hair transplants. The first was an FUT by Dr. Robert Leonard in October 2013 (unknown number of grafts, since he does not reveal the number ). The second transplant was an FUE in October 2014 (graft number 1,100). I am really disappointed with the results thus far; and neither doctor who worked on me is recommended on this site. (I have learned my lesson.)

I have attached photographs of my hairline (my primary concern) and hair. (The hair loss has mostly been at the hairline and a little further back, as you can see more clearly in my "after shower" photo.) I reached out to Dr. Rahal, who feels a third transplant is necessary, and felt that was so based on looking at my results eight months post surgery 2. (The nine month mark for surgery 2 is right around the corner in early July.) Dr. Rahal recommends 2,000 grafts, which would be done with FUT since I cannot afford an FUE. Any thoughts? I just do not want to rush into anything anymore since I have been let down more than once now. I am also scared about depleting my donor area. Dr. Rahal may be able to see me in August. The problem is I may have to come up with a final decision on that within the next few hours; I do not have time to think about it since it is so close to now.

I also have a consultation scheduled with Dr. True next month. Any thoughts on him?

Thanks, everyone.

Borromeo, do not rush into this. Can clearly see your concern but you should pace yourself. Decide whether you want another strip or FUE and make sure you are firm on that decision. Strip scar may or may not end up the way you want. How much $ per graft would it be for strip? Right now, let your scalp heal a little more. It is best to at least read the many pages of the actual surgical consent form prior to any deposit being paid for any surgeon, if you are ok with the surgeons consent form then on the day of surgery you should be ok with initialing and signing where they want you to sign. This is one way to be well informed.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone. Thanks so much for the responses. I felt better, for a little while anyway, after reading them.

Part of my problem is I have to spend a good deal of time positioning my hair so it hides and covers just how thin it is toward the front. Unfortunately, I do not have any pre-op photos of my own, though my present doctor took photographs before the surgery in October 2014. I had never really thought of taking pre-op photos of my own, and did not realize that people even did this until visiting this website a few months back.

As some of you have noted, while I do have a defined hairline (that is a development post-surgery), it is still quite thin behind it, with that thinness extending into the 2 area, and perhaps a little behind there. (Dr. Rahal identified me as a Norwood 2 based on my photographs, but I am concerned it may be a little worse than that.) But the doctor did transplanting behind the hairline too - but the results thus far are, in my opinion, subpar.

And to note, I am on Proscar, which I take every day, use Lipgaine Big 3 shampoo twice a week, and have been using the Capillus 272 for a year. THANKFULLY, the hair loss seems to have stabilized, though I have not detected a great deal of growth where the doctor and his team placed the grafts from surgery 2, the FUE. I am 31 years old; one of you was asking me about that.

One thing that I can say is that I continue to feel to this day what I would identify as ingrown hairs in the recipient area. They have pretty much never burst through the surface of the skin, though I can still feel them - and the soreness I feel feels like ingrown hairs. Just no whiteheads coming through. Might this be a good sign, that more growth is on the way? Could it be the growth is taking longer because it is surgery 2, covering the same area that my first doctor had no intention of filling completely during the first procedure? Or could it be that, 8.5 months post surgery 2, this is as good as it is going to get?

And I mentioned previously, I have a consultation scheduled with Dr. True of New York next month. Any thoughts?

Thanks, everyone!

Borromeo,

I would echo what Sean and Garageland said: You could use a touch-up of the hairline work, but don’t rush it. Let your scalp and your psyche heal a bit. You sound like maybe you’re a little panicked, or at least frantic. Don’t be. Overall you have a great head of hair, and although your hairline can and will look even better with a touch-up, it isn’t urgent. Take your time and consult with a number of Coalition or Recommended docs. And if, right now, you can’t afford the work you decide you really want, from the doc you want, then wait until you can afford it — or ask the doc about financing options.

You made some mistakes, but not disastrous ones. Those mistakes aren’t irreparable IF you do your research this time and don’t rush yourself or let yourself feel pressured to schedule another surgery right away.

Take a breath.

Good luck!

PupDaddy, thanks for the response. I appreciate your kind words and sage advice. You are right - I am frantic. I am just so devastated about how I have gone through two hair surgeries and still have all this thinness up front, which I am able to hide better one some days than others. I have felt frantic and even consumed with all that has happened.

I am still keeping my appointment with Dr. True, and plan to also return to see my present surgeon to see what his take is on the poor growth thus far. He told me last time that sometimes he sees patients whose growth is amazing by six months, while there are others who have to wait twelve to fourteen months before the hair shows up. To be truthful, I don't know what to believe anymore.

Hey mate, I've just signed up to this site so I'm not the most experienced, but from what I can see on your pictures, you have a really decent head of hair. :)

Try not to get to worried, however, I understand that having a un-successful hair transplant can make you concerned even though I have not experienced this.

Maybe you could try a different hair style or something like that and see if it works? :) But seriously though, your hair looks good!