Perfect Father's Day Gift or Public Shame?

I've posted a couple of questions in this forum due to my uncertainty about going through with a transplant. I don't worry about the doctors performing the transplants. I'm just dealing with my own fears about the surgery, recovery time, etc.

I was having lunch yesterday when the table next to me got in a heated debate because the father of the group announced (loud enough that the whole restaurant could hear him) that he wanted a hair transplant for Father's Day.

His kids acted like their dad had announced that he was a serial killer in hiding. They tried to convince him "it isn't cool", "you'll look like a creep trying to pick up girls in their 20's" and "you're too old for this idea".

Their reaction doesn't really fill me with confidence to move forward. Has anyone else faced a family full of doubters? Did you care about their opinions?

The thing any transplants and most elective surgeries is that you never know someone even had it if it's done well, so all their points are moot.

Also, I personally avoid basing my opinions on a random guys kid's opinions at a diner.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The thing any transplants and most elective surgeries is that you never know someone even had it if it's done well, so all their points are moot.

Also, I personally avoid basing my opinions on a random guys kid's opinions at a diner.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

You mean I shouldn't trust the opinions of random people I've never met in my life?

I was just amazed at how adamant the kids were in their immediate dislike of the idea. That's why I was curious if anyone else has faced a family of doubters. I'd rather be upfront with my family when I finally work up the courage to get my procedure done. Seeing that poor guy's family attack his wishes was not a fun experience.

By the time you have made up your mind to have an HT, then you will have done so for personal reasons, it's about you this time, no-one else, but you!

There will always be those that agree and disagree, but you have to think of the underlying reason you want hair on your head, is it to please yourself or others.

Obviously kids will love their parents no matter what their hair situation is, hence the reaction you experienced. Would you have encouraged your own father to have a hair transplant.....probably not. Would you have thought less of your father if he had started losing his hair.....probably not.

Personally, I was upfront with my family and friends AFTER I had made the decision to go for an HT, I treated it as not such a big deal, the reaction was probably mixed. I seemed to get more encouragement from friends, one even took time off work to accompany me to India to get mine done.

Basically I see the reaction you are displaying quite often, a person who wants to go through HT but is swayed from the yes vote to the no vote, months and years pass and still a decision is not made, all the while the person is suffering from the personal effects of his hair loss.

If you do not want the subject of having a HT taking over your life, and you are not likely to go through with it, accept your hair the way it is and move on with life.

My advice to you........ to hell with what others think and say, if you want to have an HT and have the means to have an HT for which you have worked hard, then go for it, it's your life and you only get to live it once.

Having your wisdom teeth pulled out can be a lot worse in terms of surgery.

Trust me, you will not look back on the decision.

FUE with Dr Tejinder Bhatti OCT 2014

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178931-my-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-oct-2014-a.html

Edited by Shera

Unfortunately, the general consensus 'out there' is still EEWW! PLUGS?

Use the knowledge and opinions of HT Vets and HT Seekers to make your decision - not some strangers you will never see again in your life.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Sounds to me like the kids were just ribbing their father as kids sometimes do.

And why would anyone give any credence to "kids opinions" much less to those who have absolutely no knowledge of this?...:confused:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

From my own experience, every single person that knows I had a hair transplant has been nothing but supportive. I believe several factors go into this:

1) My results seem to speak for themselves. People see how great it looks, so there's no room for the thoughts of "plugs" to enter their minds.

2) I'm confident in my decision now, and was confident before I had it done. I personally think this is one of the most important factors. Yes, you'll be nervous and probably second guess yourself - but the more confident you are in your decision, the easier it will be for others to accept it. This is true for anything in life, not just hair transplants. The more permission we give ourselves to own our decisions, the easier it is for other people to accept those decisions.

3) And finally, possibly the most important factor as to why the response to my own personal experience has been so positive, is due to the types of people I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by/ the people I choose to let in my life. The previous two points aside, we can't change the fact that there are people in life who will want to bring us down, not support us, mock us, etc. The idea is to a) not have those types of people in our lives and attract a more loving community to experience life with and/or b) not really care what those people have to say when/if they decide to try to mock you.

Ultimately, we can't completely control other people's responses. What we can control is our reaction to those responses. If you want to get a hair transplant for whatever reasons are important to you, then go for it. Do your research, find out if you're a good candidate, find a really great doctor who you trust, and get it done. Sure, if you have people in your life whose opinions you trust and who have good intentioned thoughts on the matter, listen to them to help you make a more well informed decision. But at the end of the day, we can't make decisions based on what other people will ultimately think.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56