Will Strip Suffice Or Will I Need FUE As Well ???

Having been told I have approx 1600 grafts left via strip I'm concerned with how to effectively deploy them. And if 1600 will in fact suffice.

How many grafts would you say I would need to properly fill both the mid scalp and hairline ? Please break the numbers into the two sections (hairline and mid scalp)

And will the 1600 via strip suffice or do I need to consider fue as well ? I need to know this won't financially get out of hand before I go forward, as fue on top of a strip procedure could become rather costly.

Torn

006a.jpg.1dbfed602e25ded1dd83face987d5863.jpg

009a.jpg.ba54fb6d7a1271180bc0307d85cd51af.jpg

011a.jpg.2af84cf198eb80e0a9636f6245302c7f.jpg

012a.jpg.07c54206b935113244e8cdab5a7a39d7.jpg

017a.jpg.20f6f11d8dd3060bf1c12c0261e55099.jpg

I would dump it all in the frontal third just behind the hairline going back. Your hairline looks good. It'll be more natural with density behind it.

Who was your prior docs and how many grafts have you had?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thank you all for your input...

I am concerned though if 1600 will make any difference at this point ?

If I drop most or all in the frontal area as has been suggested would that make enough of a difference to warrant the expense and hassle or will I still be looking at further work ??? And more expensive work at that, as I will only be left with the possibility of FUE at that point.

Or to put it another way... judging by the photos how much do I actually need (frontal third only) to create an actual full look ?

Possibly the more practical question would be, "should I save these limited number of grafts for future loss or use them up now?"

MPB is indeed progressive over a lifetime so what about planning for future loss?

Where does that fit into the equation?...:rolleyes:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Possibly the more practical question would be, "should I save these limited number of grafts for future loss or use them up now?"

MPB is indeed progressive over a lifetime so what about planning for future loss?

Where does that fit into the equation?...:rolleyes:

I'm nearly 60, what ever fell out.... fell out.

Should I wait till I'm 80 just to make sure ;)

You can still lose more. I was stable in my 40's but mid 50's went from a NW6 to a 7. Why do you want a strip? Go with FUE and If you wish to stay within the US contact Dr. Vories or otherwise plan on a mini vacation overseas. The pain, numbness, tightness and chance of a wide scar is not worth 1600 grafts!

You can still lose more. I was stable in my 40's but mid 50's went from a NW6 to a 7. Why do you want a strip? Go with FUE and If you wish to stay within the US contact Dr. Vories or otherwise plan on a mini vacation overseas. The pain, numbness, tightness and chance of a wide scar is not worth 1600 grafts!

I meet with a few docs over the last few years, most notably a 'top doc' in my area. They all mentioned that most if not all my native was gone. I suppose there might be some left but as one said 'thats all transplanted hair up there'.

Since all of my past procedures were strip, I thought I would just max out strip and then go fue if necessary. The pain, numbness, ect Im used to (like others here I'm sure) but yes I am concerned of chancing a wide scar. I was hoping to incorporate a scar revision as well with the ht as I already have multiple scars. Also I guess I'm just tired of throwing money at something that never really looked good. That much fue could be very costly !

I'm guessing then that you're not convinced 1600 fu will make a difference anyway ??

And thank you for the recommendation I will contact Dr. Vories for a consultation should I decide to move forward. His pricing is .... " 2000 grafts- $8,000.00- usually covering hairline and mid-scalp" for fue.

Did they examine your head with the scope to detect miniaturization? I had one FUSS too many which yielded only 800 worthless grafts placed in my crown which would later thin, and need for 300 beard FUE to obscure the resultant widened scar. I subsequently was able to get 3400 more grafts via FUE after an esteemed strip doc told me he could extract only another 500 at best and recommended SMP instead.

Many HT patient end up only believing in what they want to hear. Perhaps that explains why there are so many posts about repairs on this site.

Edited by hairweare

1,600 might get you 3,000 hairs, probably enough to make a decernible difference to the first 3cm of your hairline.

Those grafts you already have seem to have just been spread evenly across your head without too much attempt to 'front load', i.e. create a strong hairline.

It would be good to see some crown and side on photos.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Did they examine your head with the scope to detect miniaturization? I had one FUSS too many which yielded only 800 worthless grafts placed in my crown which would later thin, and need for 300 beard FUE to obscure the resultant widened scar. I subsequently was able to get 3400 more grafts via FUE after an esteemed strip doc told me he could extract only another 500 at best and recommended SMP instead.

Many HT patient end up only believing in what they want to hear. Perhaps that explains why there are so many posts about repairs on this site.

Thank you for your candor hairweare it is greatly appreciated. I can see you've been through quite a bit. I will take it all into consideration.

Yes there are quite a few repair cases on here ....

1,600 might get you 3,000 hairs, probably enough to make a decernible difference to the first 3cm of your hairline.

That doesn't sound too promising. I was worried the 1600 or so grafts I had left wouldn't be enough to add the density behind the hairline needed to create a more natural look and make it worth going forward. Without thickening the frontal third adding to the hairline would probably look worse. I suppose I may not be able to do anything at this point.

Here is the best side shot I have...

017a.jpg.de8b1f447b8d04b0bbaadfec1fea4b29.jpg

Now how many guys would absolutely die for hair like that?...:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY