My 4,000 Graft FUE With Dr. Sanusi Umar – April 7, 2015

Tav1

Four month update - it's been four months to the day since my last FUE procedure. The necrotic area is healed and growing a few hairs. It actually became much smaller than I originally anticipated and the original pics earlier in this thread suggested it might be. I saw Dr. Umar today and will be going back on September 28 for 20 grafts or so to "fill the area." I almost didn't want to bother, as more hair grows/thickens I really don't think it will be an issue, but Dr. U is a perfectionist. He actually suggested we could do the small procedure immediately, but I have an ocean-based vacation coming up, so we're waiting until after that time.

Yelling at my hair with the bullhorn is now working and hairs are sprouting - many more than the pics suggest. I'm a pretty slow grower and have been my whole life, so some growth at this early stage is encouraging. I didn't expect much of anything based on my history until month five at earliest. Temple points came in first and look good. Crown looks good as well. Donor area has completely healed and I could easily buzz to zero and nobody would be the wiser - even with my fine hair characteristics - go FUE!! I continue on Minox and Fin, and two weeks ago added Dutas once a week at .5mg.

I look a few snaps of the front and crown and blasted the flash and dampened my hair to make it as harsh as possible - both areas look much better in person. Feeling pretty good that the next couple of months will grow and thicken nicely. And always nice to see Dr. U - he's a very cool customer and always makes you feel completely at ease. And his staff is awesome. And the view on the water is a bonus!

Before surgery to today in the first pic. Closeup of the crown today in the second. Last pic is just front with natural light.

5b32e78a44206_FourMonths.jpg.fc7505766c5c8baf24734a5e62a2103c.jpg

crown.jpg.9bbf7413403faa51f0b560ccf0df0e72.jpg

naturallight.jpg.5fe21dd66236f2768553791d055b113f.jpg

Edited by Tav1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks farmcat. I feel like I'm just starting to turn the corner a bit. But again, as a very slow grower (I haven't even had a haircut since surgery - that's how slow I grow) it's moving along somewhat.

Very impressive! Also in need of 4000 grafts and have a terrible time deciding between FUE and FUT. Unfortunately i'm in europe so Umar isn't an option, although i'm really impressed with this. We have very similar hair characteristics so enthused to see that a good result can be expected!

Thanks for the encouragement fellas. And I'd say to those who have been debating - make a decision, find the right Doc and do it as soon as possible (age appropriate of course). Like I said, I've historically been a very slow grower and could go months without needing a trim, so if things can work for me, chances are they can for you. The longer you delay, the longer you don't get to that light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

• 4 weeks later...

Exactly five months almost to the minute. Getting on a plane this evening, but promised to hit the monthly marks on time, so here you go. Everything is fine, moving along and I have my repair to the necrotic area (which really isn't visible unless from a drone) on September 28.

Before/four months/five months as reference. And a single picture at five months. Hair is darker because I live at the beach and absolutely wear a hat when in the sun. Dr. U is a true gent, and I've enjoyed seeing him and his staff every time I visit.

start45.jpg.3131f7716ec4056476c06e130d35b53f.jpg

fivemonths.jpg.85986bd1a290d9018840ea3fe7e8a5d5.jpg

Edited by Tav1

Indeed. And thanks for all the support along the way wylie. It is very much appreciated. I've finally turned the corner, and as a historically slow grower, I'm very happy at this early stage. In fact, I had my first haircut since my procedure in April just last weekend - that tells you how slow my hair grows.

Edited by Tav1

• Administrators

Tav, did you do any body hair? I've considered Dr. Umar, because he's 45 min from my house not lucky enough to live in redondo lol. But the thing that's kept from going is the price.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Tav, did you do any body hair? I've considered Dr. Umar, because he's 45 min from my house not lucky enough to live in redondo lol. But the thing that's kept from going is the price.

Sorry for the late reply, as I've been out of the country. I did not have body hair used, although I've seen some great results from Dr. U as various patients have come in during my follow-up visits.

• 3 weeks later...
Lighting isn't great, but as is typical it seems you had a lot of thickening from month five to six. It looks really, really good.

Not really - probably the lighting. I'm a very slow grower and I knew that going in. Months five to six seemed like a small improvement really. I'm hoping the next three months or so actually give me a little more in the new hair department as well as in the thickening department. But thanks for the comment. It's certainly better than where I started!

Thanks farmcat. Update: today I went in for what we originally estimated was 30-40 grafts for the necrotic area I outlined earlier in the thread. Obviously at this point it is a little hard for me to see, as it is above the hairline on the left side, and of course, I now have some hair.

Dr. Umar took a look from above and decided on around 180 grafts. Overall I was progressing nicely, but he wasn't completely happy with some of the growth thus far on the right side (above the temple and above the hairline), as well as a very small area near the center (and above the hairline).

As I told him, "more new hair in the right place is good." Donor was taken almost like a very small strip procedure I most likely most be able to see by tomorrow.

Dr. Umar did all extractions and all of the recipient slits - painless as always. Two great techs Amy and Anna did the placing. Very kind of the Doc to do a no shave FUE for free - beyond what was expected - to make sure he's happy (and I am as well).

All done at no charge to me whatsoever, including all the pre-op meds, post-op meds, creams, etc. I'll try and take some photos in a day or so. Even with these small procedures, there is a rest period involved, so I'm going to follow the post-op and take it easy.

Excellent experience as always with Dr. Umar!

• 4 weeks later...

An update: I am at approximately seven months from my last major procedure with Doctor Umar, and approximately one month from my procedure to repair the impacted necrotic area. Most of the newly-placed grafts have not shed. Donor is completely unnoticeable.

I've attached a before/after. I anticipate that once the small graft repair fills in (although not noticeable from the front view) it will only make things more complete. Nice to know that at only seven months, I've just gotten past the halfway point on the 12 month growth curve and not even a third of the way through the "final" 18 month result.

Everyone grows at a different rate, but for slow growers with fine hair like me, I'm thinking months 6-9 are the "sweet spot" for an impactful result. At least that's my gut.

Beforeandmonthseven.jpg.10bafbf31513ea625c3e5f55644fabd5.jpg

• Administrators

How would you rate Dr. Umar? I'm seriously considering going to him for my 3rd procedure, but from what I've researched he's mainly known for his work on repairs.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Looking good Tav! Dr. Umar is not only a top physician but he's a truly genuine and caring human being. Can't say enough good things about him. Congrats and please keep us posted on the remainder of your journey.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for the kind words farmcat and David - still a ways to go - especially with the new grafts just behind the hairline - but things are encouraging.

HTsoon - I went back and looked at your thread and read that you were considering BHT as a potential option. While I did not use any body hair, as I'm sure you know, Dr. Umar does undertake a considerable number of patients where some form of BHT is involved.

I've seen Dr. Umar more times than most patients typically do: my "first" procedure was a three day affair, and of course, following the necrotic issue, Dr. Umar had me in his offices weekly. And then of course, more recently, the new grafts for the previously necrotic area. So I've gotten to know him and his staff pretty well.

I've pretty much outlined my thoughts on my experience earlier in this thread, but the basics are as follows:

Great clinic and a great location. Great staff. The two female techs that do the implantation have been with Dr. Umar for a good bit of time. Doc obviously does all extractions, incisions and site prep. There is no patient advisor on staff, and nobody is going to answer any specific questions related to a HT procedure other than Dr. Umar - period. Even small follow up questions I had post HT were emailed to the Doctor directly for response.

As you've been through this already, you might find this setup works for you. It did for me. During my many visits, I've seen glimpses of paperwork, overheard conversations and come across patients utilizing some form of BHT - it's a large part of what he does from what I can gather.

If you are considering any form of BHT, my opinion is that you would be remiss to not at least organize a consult. Especially as your fairly local. Happy to answer any specifics if I can.