Does my donor look okay for a second go at FUT?

My scalp was originally described as very tight, so I assume that with the scar being cut out, the amount of skin I could use for a new donor area is reduced.

The donor scar is generally ranges from 5-7mm, with some random hairs growing in the middle of it.

So with my tight skin characteristics, does it seem like a good idea to go for FUT again, or would FUE be a better bet?

2k0tZRM.jpg

FUT.jpg.4cb90681d244688afff67fab1a90c7d1.jpg

Edited by Transhair

Transhair,

FUE would definitely be a valid option for you. With that type of procedure though, you would have to be willing to shave your hair very short and contend with seeing the FUT scar while your hair grows back. Some offices are now offering No Shave FUE, but this usually is a little more costly, more time consuming, and you may not get as many grafts as you might with a full shave.

Having said that, FUT may still be an option for you as well. It would probably be best for a hair transplant surgeon to put their hands on your scalp for an evaluation. Do you recall how many grafts you had the first time around? Also, how many grafts do you anticipate you will need this time?

If FUT is still an option, we like the patient to do scalp stretching exercises prior to the procedure. Believe it or not, these do help somewhat to create more elasticity and enable us to get more hair safely. Also, here at Shapiro Medical, we now use a product called Vitrase for tighter scalps. It is an enzyme that can create more elasticity in the scalp and enable us to safely take out more tissue.

I just had (13 days ago) a no-shave FUE. They cut the hairs close but the close cut was hidden by my other hair. Nobody could see a thing. Fantastic procedure!

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Transhair,

FUE would definitely be a valid option for you. With that type of procedure though, you would have to be willing to shave your hair very short and contend with seeing the FUT scar while your hair grows back. Some offices are now offering No Shave FUE, but this usually is a little more costly, more time consuming, and you may not get as many grafts as you might with a full shave.

Having said that, FUT may still be an option for you as well. It would probably be best for a hair transplant surgeon to put their hands on your scalp for an evaluation. Do you recall how many grafts you had the first time around? Also, how many grafts do you anticipate you will need this time?

If FUT is still an option, we like the patient to do scalp stretching exercises prior to the procedure. Believe it or not, these do help somewhat to create more elasticity and enable us to get more hair safely. Also, here at Shapiro Medical, we now use a product called Vitrase for tighter scalps. It is an enzyme that can create more elasticity in the scalp and enable us to safely take out more tissue.

Can you please explain more about your product Vitrase?

I mean is taken before operation?

Please shed some light doc.

The first procedure was about 2177 grafts. A second procedure would be around 1200-1500 grafts.

Thanks for the replies.

While I have no problems with FUE, I was thinking FUT for an attempt at cutting out the scar and having a smaller one, though I know that's not guaranteed.

Edited by Transhair

Can you please explain more about your product Vitrase?

I mean is taken before operation?

Please shed some light doc.

Vitrase is a brand of hyaluronidase, an enzyme that destroys hyaluronic acid

Both naturally occurring in the body and injected, such as restyline and juvederm products.

I can see how a hyaluronidase like Vitrase will deplete the area injected of its natural occurring hyaluronic acid make the skin more loose (dented) but this effect is only temporary and the natural occurring hyaluronic acid will replenish itself in time.

(Naturally occurring hyaluronic acid depletes and replenishes itself every 24 hours )

I guess a high enough dose will create a deep, albeit temporary, depletion and thus a loosening of the skin long enough so a strip can be excised.

Wonder if this works as well as those "balloon extenders" which loosen the skin to be excised? Many find in time that the skin goes back to its original tightness and in the end stretches the incision/scar tissue, anyway.

Very interesting premise though

Edited by rev333

Vitrase is a brand of hyaluronidase, an enzyme that destroys hyaluronic acid

Both naturally occurring in the body and injected, such as restyline and juvederm products.

I can see how a hyaluronidase like Vitrase will deplete the area injected of its natural occurring hyaluronic acid make the skin more loose (dented) but this effect is only temporary and the natural occurring hyaluronic acid will replenish itself in time.

(Naturally occurring hyaluronic acid depletes and replenishes itself every 24 hours )

I guess a high enough dose will create a deep, albeit temporary, depletion and thus a loosening of the skin long enough so a strip can be excised.

Wonder if this works as well as those "balloon extenders" which loosen the skin to be excised? Many find in time that the skin goes back to its original tightness and in the end stretches the incision/scar tissue, anyway.

Very interesting premise though

Thanks for your detail response

After experiencing problems with the scar from the first FUHT procedure, you definitely do not want to do another FUHT and especially so soon after the first one.

Scalp elasticity can only be tested with a physical exam. And IMHO, you still need to confirm why your scar came out the way it did from the first procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

How can I get a physical exam? The nearest hair transplant clinic locally is very far away and I'd have to spend more than id like with flights and accommodation just for a consult.

The surgery would be around next February, so it's slightly further in the future.

I was hoping that I could do scalp exercises quite early (3 months pre op?) to increase the laxity and cut the original strip out, in hopes of the next one being smaller, rather than getting FUE and risk having a slightly thinner donor showing the backscar more.

Does that not really seem like a good idea?

Edited by Transhair