Thinking about going for an FUT

Hi everybody,

I have been goingg around in this forum from last 10-12 months, reason being the same, have a balding area. I have been contemplating for a transplant since long but now I think it is the time to take the action. So today I got myself an id here and thought of posting a thread for myself. Pardon me if there are any mistakes.

I am 28 years old from India and have been experiencing hairfall from last 5 years. I consulted few HT doctors and everybody gave a different count of grafts required. Now, considering it being a big plunge to take, I need guidance from you guys as to what would be the ideal number of grafts be for my situation? Also, do I still have hope for a head full of hair or the situation has gone bad for me? Or maybe there is no hope and I should quit thinking about transplantation anymore? I am attaching my pictures with this post. Please post your comments.

Thanks.

20150414_000628.jpg.8f26749a7388eac4cf24fef3fb2ff063.jpg

20150414_172747.jpg.b59931e2083bb69bf0b1074c1f4ea044.jpg

20150414_172751.jpg.1b023db29358c92f6cc86dfb6a94a45b.jpg

20150414_172851.jpg.fac4826814501319d66059cc5989d0d9.jpg

HT with Dr Radha - 30th June 2015

Total grafts: 3168 (1's: 930, 2's: 2090, 3's: 148 )

Total hair: 5554

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Multivitamin tablet daily

Cod liver oil capsule twice a day

Minoxidil 5% solution (1ml) once a day

Nizoral Shampoo 1% (once a week)

Thanks for the reply. I do not have any problem in taking the medicines as long as they dont affect me adversely. Considering I take meds, what would be approximate number of grafts you think that would be helpful for me?

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

It looks like you have enough hair left in the crown to make transplanting that area unnecessary.

I'd suggest 3000-3500 grafts to frontal half of your head. Much depends on how good your donor area is. You're in a similar situation to where I was but I have a white scalp and more colour contrast, hence 4000+ grafts.

You will probably be a norwood 6 before you are 40 if you don't take meds, so bear that in mind.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I think if you take finasteride, you would be a good candidate. You have thick dark wavy hair and dark skin, which is helpful.

can it take more than one year for finasteride to shor results?

@KO, did you mean I need to start fin right now or once done with the HT as doctor suggests?

Thanks Matt for your insight. About the meds, yes would be taking them to minimize the future loss with my HT. I had consultation over phone with Dr Radha some time back and looked extensively into her work before almost fixing that she will be my surgeon. I will go to her once again before booking a surgery to have her take a look at my situation so that I may be aware of what to expect before committing.

And I must say, my God, your results are awesome. The moment you said you were in the same situation like me and then I saw your "after" pics, I was stunned. I just hope that I get a result like you once done with it, although your hair is coarse which I guess is another good factor for nice coverage.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

I echo the above comments.

Certainly worth considering finasteride to try to maintain or improve the crown, and given your skin and hair characteristics, 3000+ grafts to the front could make a huge difference.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Thanks KO and Pete. I enquired about finasteride also but seems it's not easily available in India. But as KO mentioned, Finpecia is available with a reputed pharma company. Is it the same as finasteride? To start with, 1mg per day would be enough or do I need to start with 1/2 mg first to check for sides?

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Thanks again, KO. I'll look for Finpecia in some local pharmacy in here.

Also, I forgot to mention that the hairfall is quite negligible now. It's the loss that has already happened. I notice very less hairfall now, around 10-15 strands when I shampoo otherwise nothing on pillow in mornings which used to bother me a year back. I hope this is a good sign for me.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

someone above recommended 3000-3500. I think it's too much considering you still have some native hair and don't want to over do it, resulting in hurting current hair, not to mention some new grafts may fight for blood due to overloading transplants, resulting in some of them not taking. I'd probably do from 2000-2200 and of course get on propecia asap. If you need a touch up in the future, which you probably will do to your age, then you go for more density. It's taken you a while to lose your hair, you're not going to get it all back in one shot.

Thanks Pelo for your insight. I am aiming aroung 3000 grafts and will go for one more procedure later. Meanwhile I ordered Finpecia online. Will be starting with 0.5mg dosage daily first to check for the sides and increase to 1mg if it goes fine. I hope it does.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

• 2 weeks later...

I have started taking Finpecia. Just have a query (again :D sorry). As I am on Finpecia now, should I go ahead with HT or should I first continue with the medicine before taking decision about HT. As I went through the forum, there were many people advising staying on medicine for sometime and then decide as the medicine might hold/reverse a bit of hairfall. What do you say guys?

One more question about HT, if i go for it then is it possible to make my diffused area denser? As the front/mid scalp of my head has some sparse density of hair, is it possible to increase density in this area?

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

I have started taking Finpecia. Just have a query (again :D sorry). As I am on Finpecia now, should I go ahead with HT or should I first continue with the medicine before taking decision about HT. As I went through the forum, there were many people advising staying on medicine for sometime and then decide as the medicine might hold/reverse a bit of hairfall. What do you say guys?

One more question about HT, if i go for it then is it possible to make my diffused area denser? As the front/mid scalp of my head has some sparse density of hair, is it possible to increase density in this area?

It's a great idea to wait a full year after starting medical hair loss treatments. If you respond well to the finasteride you may find that you require fewer grafts to achieve your hair restoration goals. In addition, it wouldn't hurt to add minoxidil to your regimen as well.

Grafts can be placed in thinning areas with existing hair to add density. Of course, the concern is to avoid transecting and killing those existing hair follicles. You may also experience temporary shock loss of those hairs.

Your physician will help you formulate the best plan. I see that you consulted with a few hair transplant surgeons. What did they recommend in terms of graft placement?

Edited by David - Moderator

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks David for taking out the time. Yes, I consulted a reputed doc some time back and I was told that it is possible to add hair to improve density in the middle. But it was kind of generic answer rather than my specific condition.

About the minoxidil, could I be suggested some Indian equivalents?

I wish I had started this regimen long back when I had already noticed the hairfall but didnt do anything other than consultation. Could have saved a lot.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

• 1 month later...

So, had an email conversation with Dr Radha and I was recommended a 3500-3800 estimate for my transplant. Considering the valuable opinions provided by the people in here, I guess she in in the same opinion too. I will soon make a decision to jump over the line and let you guys know.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Forgot to mention, I have been regular with my Finpecia 1mg from last 40 days or so. No side effects yet and hope none in the future too. Will keep on continuing it.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

So, I had my email conversation with Dr Madhu as well. Dr Madhu has given an estimate in between 2500-2900.

Right now, I am in confusion. Dr Radha or Dr Madhu? I have read about both a lot here and other websites but when it comes to yourself, it is quite tough to make a decision. What do you say guys? Any help?

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

• 3 weeks later...

So, after all ups and downs, weighing of options, looking at the previous results again and again, on the verge of making a booking and changing mind at the last minute, I have finally taken the plunge and made a booking with Dr Radha for this month end. I asked for the quickest possible date and it was available. Confirmed the booking by paying the advance and have booked my flight and hotel as well. I hope it all goes well.

Also, I have started my scalp exercise. Please let me know guys if I need to do anything else, as the doctor stays quite busy and it is quite tough to reach her everytime i have a question. I had to continuously call/email her office for a week to have a talk with her before taking the final decision. I am very anxious and not sure what is going to happen. I know she is one of the best in India but when it comes to yourself, you start doubting even the best. I hope it all goes well and one year later I come out as another good example of Dr Radha's magical hands.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Did Dr Radha recommended scalp laxity exercise? I guess no. She personally is of the opinion that it’s not a mandatory prerequisite if you plan for less than 4000 grafts

Edited by shanth

No, infact I sent her emails twice asking for any prep before coming down there but no replies. I dont know but I feel once a patient has committed, there should be some replies to emails, even if they are late. She could atleast get emails monitored regularly as this is the only way patients can communicate with her.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Keep trying and Dr Radha will respond, she responded to all my emails pretty fast . By the way, Dr. might have sent you a PRE-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR HAIR TRANSPLANTATION, if not chase for it. The document covers all that you need to know prior to surgery. All the best!

Finally had my surgery. Here is the link of my surgery documentation.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180063-hair-transplant-dr-radha-3168-grafts-30th-june.html#post2436852

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Congratulations on your 3168 grafts...

It looks like you have enough hair left in the crown to make transplanting that area unnecessary.

I'd suggest 3000-3500 grafts to frontal half of your head. Much depends on how good your donor area is. You're in a similar situation to where I was but I have a white scalp and more colour contrast, hence 4000+ grafts.

You will probably be a norwood 6 before you are 40 if you don't take meds, so bear that in mind.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day