How many grafts for a thick NW2?

Hi guys, wouldn't mind your input on my hair loss scale and what I'd need to restore it to a 'healthy' NW2.

I'm 30 and have been losing hair since 17. I've used Fin ever since(yes, started at 17) and still use it but with 0.625mg. Used minox for about the same period, both meds have been used irregularly. Stopped Minox for about 7 months and now started again so I think I've been shedding.

Pictures attached. (Wet hair)

Thanks

Edit; Have added my preferred hairline now. I just hope whoever does the FUE work does it better than my drawings.

20150407_181250.jpg.7209ed0f1f505009b96705fa6482472c.jpg

20150407_181307.jpg.cb8b79edc025228d04dc0b4bfa027bb3.jpg

20150407_181257.jpg.ba6d46d5aec258251001e4705768a70f.jpg

5b32e5a200313_idealhairline.jpg.d0a2b513161d6fa276b441812eebc3e9.jpg

5b32e5a21a9f2_idealhairline2.jpg.b409ba197eea813fb2479104c65e4bc3.jpg

Hairline.jpg.4d258d45bf9ec837e5b373a897e6459e.jpg

Edited by HairCrazy

Thanks for the reply matt. I was thinking around 3000, so you're not far off. My crown looks better in the pictures than it actually is. Toppik and couvre mask it well.

Who would you recommend for FUE? I was thinking Lorenzo but cost:benefit ratio telling me to go for Erdogan.

So you have two great things going for you. Well three. 1 dark color hair. 2 looks course 3 you take meds. I have the same amount of hair at 33 but I am blonde, fine and my body doesn't do well with the meds... Anyway aren't you worried abou transplanting into your native hairs??? It's what's holding me back from having my ht

I'm NW3.5 I think. I want some temple work doing too. I think 3000 should hold me off from another hair transplant for at least 5 years.

Rahal quoted me 2500 back in the day when I had less hair loss. I'm not sure if it's because of the concealers and rough combing but I've lost loads of hair recently. Thanks for the input.

Hi, you have good hair characteristics that should make for a good result. BUT be careful! Even with Meds, you will likely lose hair in the future so you need to keep that in mind in any planning.

Erdogan is very aggressive and will probably transplant your hairline, front third and crown with 4500 grafts!! That is NOT a good idea.

Keep going with the Meds, especially Finasteride. If in the future you start noticing hair loss, it's time to consider dutasteride.

Hair transplant wise, i have seen the best results in 2 steps normally. a first procedure of 1800 grafts, followed by a touch up a year later to add density. The touch up can usually be done without shaving. A skilled surgeon would be able to avoid shock loss.

Putting 3k grafts into an area that size comes with extra risks. Due to the high density, there is generally a lower yield. In addition, we normally say 3000 or 3500 grafts for the front third, so putting 3000 into the hairline will leave you short elsewhere if you needed it in the future.

Just remember, hair loss is unpredictable and you still have the rest of your life ahead of you.

Good luck

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

You are not a NW3.5. You're not even a NW3. You are about halfway between a 2 and a 3. Kind of. I think 2000 (ish) is ideal. About 500 to 750 on what looks to be the left side (your left) and 1250 to 1500 for the right side. If the front was lowered then yes, add in several hundred more but the best result would be for the front to be left along and just hit the recession in the temples.

You are not a NW3.5. You're not even a NW3. You are about halfway between a 2 and a 3.

Lol, glad someone else posted this. Being a less experienced member here I didn't want to say it myself but you're practically a NW 2 already! :D

Best of luck whatever you decide :)

Totally agree!! Def between a 2-3

How long ago was your Rahal quote done mate?

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Hi, you have good hair characteristics that should make for a good result. BUT be careful! Even with Meds, you will likely lose hair in the future so you need to keep that in mind in any planning.

Erdogan is very aggressive and will probably transplant your hairline, front third and crown with 4500 grafts!! That is NOT a good idea.

Keep going with the Meds, especially Finasteride. If in the future you start noticing hair loss, it's time to consider dutasteride.

Hair transplant wise, i have seen the best results in 2 steps normally. a first procedure of 1800 grafts, followed by a touch up a year later to add density. The touch up can usually be done without shaving. A skilled surgeon would be able to avoid shock loss.

Putting 3k grafts into an area that size comes with extra risks. Due to the high density, there is generally a lower yield. In addition, we normally say 3000 or 3500 grafts for the front third, so putting 3000 into the hairline will leave you short elsewhere if you needed it in the future.

Just remember, hair loss is unpredictable and you still have the rest of your life ahead of you.

Good luck

. I still think Erdogan has amazing hairlines, probably the best out there right next to Rahal. Lorenzo is the main man for yield and absolute natural looking hair. It's a tough choice between Lorenzo and Erdogan for me. Rahal is out of the equation because of the Sean result. That gave me a bit of a fright. This sounds like excellent advice and wish you happy growing. Thanks.

You are not a NW3.5. You're not even a NW3. You are about halfway between a 2 and a 3. Kind of. I think 2000 (ish) is ideal. About 500 to 750 on what looks to be the left side (your left) and 1250 to 1500 for the right side. If the front was lowered then yes, add in several hundred more but the best result would be for the front to be left along and just hit the recession in the temples.

I'm glad you think that but I'd say I'm closer to 3, more like 2.79999, lol. And yours with a few other good opinions on here has given me a real ballpark now to work from. I'll probably come to know from this which doctor to choose as well.

Lol, glad someone else posted this. Being a less experienced member here I didn't want to say it myself but you're practically a NW 2 already! :D

Best of luck whatever you decide :)

Don't be shy ;), and Thanks

Totally agree!! Def between a 2-3

How long ago was your Rahal quote done mate?

Around 2012/13, He used to have Matt as representative back then. I think it was about 2500 to restore it fully. As mentioned before the Sean result has put me off. But to add to that I'm glad I didn't, now that I'm in my thirties I think I have greater clarity about what I want.

My personal opinion is that that was the turning point in Dr Rahal's career. In 2012 he was easily the best fue doctor out there. However, now that Lorenzo, Erdogan and Doganay are here, it's a different matter. I only completely feel confident about Erdogan out of his hairline designs and his cost to yield benefit is better than Lorenzo imo.