FUT Donor Scar Issues (5 weeks post-op)

Hi everyone. I had my 2nd FUT hair transplant 5 weeks ago on February 25, 2015, and have been kind of concerned about the appearance of my donor scar. I've frequented this site a lot since then, and have been grateful to read other people's experiences and all the insight and encouragement they've received from the members of this forum. It's been a great help, and I'm hoping folks on here might be able to provide me with some insight as to what's going on in my specific case.

I've created an album on my public profile:

JT's Photo Album

On the day of the transplant the doctor (who I think is awesome, BTW, despite the current appearance of the scar) commented that the scalp laxity was not so great. During the surgery there was a spot on the left side of the incision that bled pretty hard. It took the doctor a lot of work to get it to stop. The stitches were in for 9 days...during that time the back of my head was pretty tight. (I don't remember it being so tight on the first HT, but that was also 5 years ago).

Over on the left side, on top of the area that bled a lot, the incision discolored and then developed sores. They've mostly gone away, but even at 5 weeks out there's still some scabbing, plus there's a bald area there now. The hair's also pretty thin along the entire rest of the scar, from the incision line down to where the suture holes were.

I think the incision line itself looks great. It's thin and flat. If the hair around it hadn't fallen out, I think it'd be pretty hard to find. I can't feel it at all when I run my fingers across it. I worry, though, that even if the scar completely disappears, that the hair under the incision won't grow back, or will grow back gray or something. Especially in that area on the left that developed sores.

I'm working under the assumption that the missing hair under the scar is just shock loss due to tight suturing, and that it'll eventually grow back. I also assume the sores are related to the excessive bleeding during surgery, but I'm wondering...what exactly might have happened there? Is it possible that area went necrotic? Is it likely the hair there will grow back, and if so can it grow back gray? Any insight as to what's going on there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

JT

Looks like a good incision. Looks like the typical shock loss some experience. Just being on the forum..... Normally a stretched scar is the only place hair wont grow back. Before my FUT my doctor suggested I grow my hair out to hide the incision. I would get a little irritation at times when the hair was growing through the scar. Didn't mind so much knowing it would hide the scar line.

Dr.Gabel 3972 FUT 11/3/14

Progress/Results Below ;)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177388-3972-fut-dr-gabel.html

It looks like mine did and should grow back at a similar rate to the transplanted hair.

After 3 months the area was still pretty bare for me but filled in between months 4-6.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I think at 5 weeks in it is far too early to give a final analysis. It most likely is severe temporary shockloss that will come back. Give it 5 to 6 months.

Went for a trim last week (I know, I know) and my barber told me I had 3 inch long hairs growing out of the scar. There is hope.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Thanks guys for the feedback and kind words. I really appreciate it.

Sorry to hear about the shock loss around the incision, Matt, but very glad to hear it filled back in. Hope to be posting pictures of my own here in 6 months showing the same. Your results are fantastic. :)

Anyone have any thoughts as to what those sores are all about? I've searched all over trying to find someone who might have had a similar experience, but I couldn't find anything. I'm thinking that given all the bleeding in that area during the surgery, the blood flow was likely already compromised. Then with the tight suturing some tissue might have just died.

Thanks guys for the feedback and kind words. I really appreciate it.

Sorry to hear about the shock loss around the incision, Matt, but very glad to hear it filled back in. Hope to be posting pictures of my own here in 6 months showing the same. Your results are fantastic. :)

Anyone have any thoughts as to what those sores are all about? I've searched all over trying to find someone who might have had a similar experience, but I couldn't find anything. I'm thinking that given all the bleeding in that area during the surgery, the blood flow was likely already compromised. Then with the tight suturing some tissue might have just died.

If you were bleeding, that is good blood flow. My corners were lumpy for a few months. They almost have to be when skin is pulled together. They ultimately flattened out in a few months.

Dr.Gabel 3972 FUT 11/3/14

Progress/Results Below ;)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177388-3972-fut-dr-gabel.html

JT,

Sorry to hear of the complications yet IMHO, things should improve for you over the next 3-4 months.

You will never know if the area above and below the scar is shock until 3-6 months passes. If it is mostly shock loss, it should fill back in although there is always the chance that the area will lose some density.

Scalp tissue is elastic but does have some limitations. The tension can vary along the scar because laxity varies throughout the zone. If the strip was pretty much the same width across the length, then yes there will be more tension in various places and that can be where the sores and seepage are.

Some docs will use staples when laxity is on the tight side because they in most cases provide the most secure closures. I had staples on my last procedure. Obviously this is not a choice post-op.

Also just want to encourage you to be careful from doing any activity that can potentially put tension of the scar including lifting, sit-ups, things like that.

In about 6 months you should have a good idea on what the scar will look like in its final stage and I wish you a well healed thin scar.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 years later...
Hi everyone. I had my 2nd FUT hair transplant 5 weeks ago on February 25, 2015, and have been kind of concerned about the appearance of my donor scar. I've frequented this site a lot since then, and have been grateful to read other people's experiences and all the insight and encouragement they've received from the members of this forum. It's been a great help, and I'm hoping folks on here might be able to provide me with some insight as to what's going on in my specific case.

I've created an album on my public profile:

JT's Photo Album

On the day of the transplant the doctor (who I think is awesome, BTW, despite the current appearance of the scar) commented that the scalp laxity was not so great. During the surgery there was a spot on the left side of the incision that bled pretty hard. It took the doctor a lot of work to get it to stop. The stitches were in for 9 days...during that time the back of my head was pretty tight. (I don't remember it being so tight on the first HT, but that was also 5 years ago).

Over on the left side, on top of the area that bled a lot, the incision discolored and then developed sores. They've mostly gone away, but even at 5 weeks out there's still some scabbing, plus there's a bald area there now. The hair's also pretty thin along the entire rest of the scar, from the incision line down to where the suture holes were.

I think the incision line itself looks great. It's thin and flat. If the hair around it hadn't fallen out, I think it'd be pretty hard to find. I can't feel it at all when I run my fingers across it. I worry, though, that even if the scar completely disappears, that the hair under the incision won't grow back, or will grow back gray or something. Especially in that area on the left that developed sores.

I'm working under the assumption that the missing hair under the scar is just shock loss due to tight suturing, and that it'll eventually grow back. I also assume the sores are related to the excessive bleeding during surgery, but I'm wondering...what exactly might have happened there? Is it possible that area went necrotic? Is it likely the hair there will grow back, and if so can it grow back gray? Any insight as to what's going on there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

JT

This is an old thread, but was wondering how things went. Did you recover your hair in the donor area? If so, how long did it take? How does it look now?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi hairisgone,

Except for where those sores were on the left hand side, the hair mostly grew back just fine. It now just looks like I have about an inch-long thin spot on the left side of my head. It's less than ideal, but could be worse I guess. I still think the sutures were too tight there, causing the tissue to starve and die, leading to the sores and ultimately the hairloss. If you're thinking about getting a strip procedure, just make sure to go to an experienced doctor. I realize that's easier said than done.

JT

Hi hairisgone,

Except for where those sores were on the left hand side, the hair mostly grew back just fine. It now just looks like I have about an inch-long thin spot on the left side of my head. It's less than ideal, but could be worse I guess. I still think the sutures were too tight there, causing the tissue to starve and die, leading to the sores and ultimately the hairloss. If you're thinking about getting a strip procedure, just make sure to go to an experienced doctor. I realize that's easier said than done.

JT

Who was your doctor?

Hi hairisgone,

JT

Hi JT, thank you so much for responding. A few more questions:

* How long after your surgery do you feel your shock loss fully recovered?

* Did you have shock loss anywhere else? Did that recover as well?