How many donor grafts does the average male have available for transplant?

A very general response for the average individual would be 5,000 - 7,000 for FUHT and add another 2,000 if it is FUE.

We have to consider that donor level density, size of the donor regions, and competence of the surgeon all impact these numbers.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

How about just multiple sessions FUE?

This would really depend on the individual's overall scalp density. Why? Because let's say one individual has average density, then the average might be 6,000 -8,000 utilizing all of the scalp donor zones including the sides and parietal zones.

If you go much higher than that, then the donor zones can potentially begin to appear thin and over-harvested especially if the scalp is buzzed down.

But if the individual had upper end density levels, then 8,000 plus is not out of the question.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 1 year later...
A very general response for the average individual would be 5,000 - 7,000 for FUHT and add another 2,000 if it is FUE.

A little confused by this. Isn't the conventional (although not undisputed) wisdom that the FUT method is the best way to maximize donor grafts?

Is there a commonly held formula for the order/ number of procedures to maximize donor grafts? (For example, maybe 2 FUT procedures, followed by multiple FUE procedures, etc.).

This would really depend on the individual's overall scalp density. Why? Because let's say one individual has average density, then the average might be 6,000 -8,000 utilizing all of the scalp donor zones including the sides and parietal zones.

If you go much higher than that, then the donor zones can potentially begin to appear thin and over-harvested especially if the scalp is buzzed down.

But if the individual had upper end density levels, then 8,000 plus is not out of the question.

Good response by Gillenator.

For example I am Norwood 6/7 and my HT surgeon decided to extract close to 4000 grafts (including some from side burns) so that the donor cosmesis is not affected.

Rest were taken from beard (around 5000 grafts). Now if every single donor site follicles have to be harvested without affecting donor area then for second round extraction I might have around ~ 500-1000 left.

So it also depends on how thin or thick and how wide your safe extraction zone is.

My Thread: 

A little confused by this. Isn't the conventional (although not undisputed) wisdom that the FUT method is the best way to maximize donor grafts?

Thats because during FUT all grafts survive the transplant process, whereas FUE some grafts dont make it or die in the process.

FUE has an approximate survival rate of 90% and FUT survival is around 99%

harin,

Wow....5,000 beard grafts is a lot of grafts! When did you have this done and are you happy with the result if it has been a year or longer?

I read of guys who say they are going to have a beard session done but you never hear from them again.

I have heard from several guys in confidence who were not happy with it both in terms of regrowth and compatibility issues. And some are still waiting for the yield beyond one year.

At the same time a few guys have told me it worked great in their strip scars.

Gillenator

• Administrators
harin,

Wow....5,000 beard grafts is a lot of grafts! When did you have this done and are you happy with the result if it has been a year or longer?

I read of guys who say they are going to have a beard session done but you never hear from them again.

I have heard from several guys in confidence who were not happy with it both in terms of regrowth and compatibility issues. And some are still waiting for the yield beyond one year.

At the same time a few guys have told me it worked great in their strip scars.

Gillenator take a look at Harins thread in his signature, his results have been amazing, it really provides some comfort to me, since I have beard hair in abundance that reaches far down near my chest. I think his growth has been fantastic, I think the method of transplantation had to do a lot with the good yield Harin is experiencing, I believe it's called DHT hopefully Harin can shed a bit more light on it. I think eventually I will venture in to beard hair, but I'm waiting to see if I progress any further I imagine I'll end up like Harin eventually.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.