Hair Cloning Update 2015

lucldh

• 2 weeks later...

retrograde alopecia

Side neck to pour all of the donor area ?

Such as total alopecia ?

Advertise have photos?

Please help ?

protected drugs hair few years ?

Be baldness in totoal few years in this disease?

thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I can only imagine that once someone has perfected the cloning of viable hair follicles, the cloning process itself will remain astronomically expensive for the first few years.

And...don't forget that someone will then need to surgically implant those follicles adding further to the high cost.

Given the time it takes for such procedures to become FDA approved, I wouldn't expect cloning to be an option for most of us for many years to come.

Years ago there was a handful of companies exploring compelling ways to regenerate hair growth and the momentum seems to have just fizzled out. I'm unaware of anything that is deemed a true contender for ending genetic hair loss at this time.

Very sad indeed.

Edited by David - Moderator

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Sadly I think you will be right, it is going to probably be beyond what anyone here can afford and will remain so for a number of years, if not on a near permanent basis. People will always go bald, they will always be able to skim the top of the market and make the same money from the top 5% as they would with a cost strategy targeting the average HL sufferer. This is why I hate the pharma industry so much. Health and happiness should never be the subjects of cold transaction :(

On the other hand of course, we the consumer, alongside the numerous HL surgeons and practitioners could use these forums to encourage HL sufferers to resist those treatments and force them to bring the cost down to a reasonable amount through boycotting doing it....in an ideal, utopian, completely unrealistic world of course.

• 2 months later...

A phase 1 of a five years trails for cloning hair started this year in Germany.

From what I remember the first few problems to deal with were the amount of hair cloned were very limited and that some of the cloned hair grew gray or colorless. Unfortunately I couldn't find the detailed article online anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

JFables,

Aderans closed down their ARI (the research cloning branch) a few years back.

The biggest "new" thing in the past few years was figuring out that cultured dermal papilla (follicle stem cells) cells need to be cultured in a 3D (orb-like) environment to really be "cloned" properly. So a few groups are now re-working the cloning issue with this new information. In my opinion, however, I don't think we are really much "closer" to cloning. There have been a few groups (namely in Europe and Japan) who have created follicle-like structures or created follicle stem cell clusters that grew in mice, but no fully functional follicles on a human scalp yet.

There are a few other "future" avenues being explored. Namely injections of growth factors (adipose/fatty stem cells -- Kerastem, dermal sheath stem cells -- Replicel) and a few other medications based upon the inflammation theory of androgenic alopecia (setipiprant and bimatoprost), but these are all still in early testing phases (and I personally think the injectable stuff will have really big issues with the FDA).

I've always been of the belief that the most realistic "breakthrough" will be donor doubling procedures, but this has actually proved more difficult than initially expected and may require the use of potentially dangerous growth factor substances to really work.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Wonder how much funding is going into this. In general the US is way behind on anything scientific because half the country believes the world was created in 7 days. Asian countries are way ahead on the R+D side and tend to test more liberally, but have yet to hear of any major advancements or even human testing either.

Pretty exciting topic, even for a layman, thanks for reviving this.

I believe that the cloning the follicle cells is a dead-end road for now. Perhaps there will be some other usage of the research that was done in this field but it will not be in the field of hair loss. What is encouraging is the fact that there are so much other research now on hair loss now and that at least one of these will be a success. I mean, a few years back guys were only taking about Histogen and Aderans but now there is much more going on...