Is Minoxidil the most overrated hair loss product ever?

FUE2014

By overrated, I mean it is approved by the FDA for use with hair loss, is clinically proven to regrow hair in some men, and is part of the "Big 3"; but in all honestly, how many of you out there have ever had tangible results with it? Seeing as it does diddly squat for maintenance and is meant to encourage regrowth, I don't believe I have seen any evidence of regrowth in all the years I have been using it (some 15 years). I would happily give it up and save myself a bit of money, but I'm too scared I will have a massive irreversible shed if I do!

In my experience minoxidil saved me. I started balding in the university age 21. At least thats when it became noticeable enough to bother me. I started using it and it turned back the clock! I managed to live my university years and more with the look of a full head of hair. It maintained what i had without the need for propecia.

5-6 years after it started loosing its efficacy. It still worked but it couldn't keep up with my hairloss. I still used it for another 5 years. Experimented with propecia also and had sides.

I was also afraid of the irreversible shed to stop it. What closed the deal for me was when i buzzed my head almost like a shave. I couldn't care then and i stopped it. I lost some ground but i think it had more to with the hair caliber of my hair which was lost after stopping it. The actual hairloss had already do the damage and stopping it didn't make much of a different in the actual amount of hair i had, it made a difference though to how thick my hair looked.

A pleasant surprise of stopping it was i lost the bloated minoxidil face. And while at the beginning a shaved head looked bad on me as my face became leaner and better the shave started looking good on me!!!

• 1 month later...

I started propecia before minox but it was the minox that really added new hairs that I had lost. I noticed it even at the front, where small hairs started to grow. I have stopped fin due to some sides. I will say though, not my experience, but my cousin's experience was incredible. He started taking minox when his hair had thinned very quickly and incredibly (he was losing his hair without recession, it was hairloss all over) and he pretty much regrew a thick head of hair. I wish he had taken pics because he could have been used for a Rogain commercial and gotten paid or something. It was seriously unbelievable. He still has a lot of hair and uses no fin.

I tried it for hairline recession (i.e. temple corners) for ~6 months give or take and I think for the hassle it was not worth it. No visible improvement I could appreciate, and if it was helping maintain I wasn't going to keep using it for 10+ years to find out. It's about 100x less convenient to use than Fin... it would tend to run down my face while exercising hard and get in my mouth too. Very gross.

From what I read though it should more effective for general thinning especially around the crown area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been using minoxidil for a long time now and honestly think it has done nothing to help me. putting it on is a pain in the ass--and even for the hair it might have helped, it turned that hair into dull wispy hair that is barely manageable. the side effects, esp bloating of the face, are not too bad after you get used to it, but I genuinely think the net benefit has been marginal at best.

I've tried it a few different times over the years.....don't think it ever did much for me, either. I do think it's a bit overrated. Sure, did it technically grow a few wispy hairs? Sure....so TECHNICALLY it does regrow hair, but it's not a good solution, at all. Maybe people who catch their balding quick....like a year or two in, MIGHT benefit a bit.....but I don't think it did much for me. I will say it seemed almost better as a styling liquid....I liked how my hair felt on it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting statement from Dr Bauman on why minoxidil may not work for a lot of people:

Minoxidil - Speaking of minoxidil, this treatment also requires a disclaimer. Although it is FDA-approved and has proven science behind it, the catch is that minoxidil doesn't work for everyone. In fact, over-the-counter minoxidil may only work well in about 38.3 per cent of patients, according to medical studies. Studies suggest that a patient has to have an active enzyme called "sulfotransferase" in order for their hair follicles to respond to minoxidil treatments. It is this enzyme that converts topically applied minoxidil into the active chemical (called minoxidil sulfate) that stimulates the follicles. Not everyone has enough sulfotransferase to "activate" minoxidil. There may be other biological roadblocks too -- like inflammation at or around hair follicles in the scalp and other factors, which can also affect minoxidil's action. The bottom line for patients is that there's a 65 per cent chance that standard over-the-counter minoxidil won't help you. Instead, you may require a prescription for a specially formulated, compounded minoxidil solution for optimal results. A new "minoxidil sensitivity' test will be out soon in the US, which can pre-determine if a patient is likely to respond to standard over-the-counter minoxidil before they start the treatment.

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped minoxidil. I don't think it has been helpful at all and it gave the follicles a texture that made my hair totally unmanageable. Waste of time and money.

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily