I also was Butchered at Colorado Surgical Center and Hair Institute

BoulderBalder

At 33 after struggling with my inability to grow my hair out I started researching and decided on an FUT, as the success of FUE seemed to be still in question. I was a poor resident physician and ended up going with this poorly known "chop shop" operation that only charged me 1.5$ per graft, and had 1600 grafts. The strip was removed by "dr." searle , who was indicted in June of 2013 for being involved in a large underground, illegal, marijuana grow operation in Colorado. However Chris Mcyntyre still is offering 2$ grafts, but will not list who the surgeon is. I did not have as bad of an experience as Strata, but I was supposed to have a trichophytic closure technique that they assured my would be less than a cm with hair growing through it. The procedure also took very long, and I suffered an infection in both the donor and recipient area. The scarring is very large int he back and looks like a big zipper. The recipient area also has developed some elevated scar tissue and pock marks that I cannot get rid of. Also very few of the grafts took and I feel almost as if I am worse off now than before the procedure. I am a physician and will be contacting this "clinic" shortly to discuss malpractice, especially after reading strata's story from 9/2. I have a consultation with Dr. Harris at the Hair sciences center in october to have him look and see if I can have FUE into the scar and also to see if I can have FUE to fill in the recipient area so maybe I can just grow my hair out. This whole event just makes me want to cry. I used to be able to just shave my head, I was a good looking guy, this whole experience has traumatized me. the pics dont do justice to how bad the pock marks are in the front. I shaved it in anticipation of my appt with Dr. Harris

Do you guys think I shoudl consider maybe going to Dr.. Umar in Redondo beach to have beard hair FUE into the scar? I know Dr. Harris is very well respected.

photo-2.jpg.c0c83c5032022a767de0afe1ff754eaf.jpg

photo-3.jpg.7cf90d083cbc2da619c2f1c80208e4b5.jpg

photo-4.jpg.d1de3b5748c9c3c7b6eab788fee7eac6.jpg

geez... sry to hear. thats a really bad healing scar but ur certainly not alone. there are thousands of others just like you which is why I tell ppl to avoid FUT cause no matter how good the surgeon is not everyone heals the same.

thank god for FUE to repair what these butches do to ppl which is why ppl shud do FUE up front and avoid these disasters.

So you think FUE into the scar is an option? Honestly I am ok growing it out if I can just FUE into the recipient area. I am using a dermaroller and silicone gel in the scar in the hopes that it will shrink it down at least some. I just hope that Dr. Harris has enough doner area grafts to give me enough in the front to cover the scarring that was done up front. it looks like I have a permanent case of acne or inflammation in the front of my head that has made it hard to go anywhere without a hat. and if I touch the front at all it turns very red and angry.

See what Dr Harris says but I think you may be able to get a scar revision to considerably improve it.

Is there a lot of play left in your scalp or does it feel tight?

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I dont think I was the greatest candidate for FUT to begin with in that I never had great laxity, and now my scalp does feel fairly tight. Who does scar revisions, and by that you are referring to cutting the scar and re suturing back closed for a smaller scar right?

I think if I could just get good density packed into the receding hair line I would just grow it back out. but a scar revision is a good idea if it is what I think it is.

Dr Harris would be able to do it, and yes, basically cut it out and lower its width to hopefully no more than a few mm.

Scalp exercises may help with the laxity. But as I say, see what the doc says.

Is it possible to revise the scar while doing another FUT by cutting out the scar along with more donor grafts? I trust doctor harris far more to leave a better scar than the other docs,and perhaps that would be a way to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Is it possible to revise the scar while doing another FUT by cutting out the scar along with more donor grafts? I trust doctor harris far more to leave a better scar than the other docs,and perhaps that would be a way to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Much depends on where on your head the strip was taken. It looks to be ok in that respect (not too low).

Yes you would effectively be getting another strip surgery at the same time.

Dr Harris is a pretty renowned surgeon in the industry, although I have not seen much of his work.

You guys are making me feel a lot better. I cannot help but notice how great and thick1978Matts hair looks and am wondering if I might be better suited to going to Dr. Konior. If I am going to be getting another FUT. Dr. Harris is an innovator in the FUE field in that he invented the SAFE and ARTAS systems for FUE. I cannot seem to find prices per graft though. Dr. Harris is 5$ for FUT and 8$ for FUE. any thoughts?

You guys are making me feel a lot better. I cannot help but notice how great and thick1978Matts hair looks and am wondering if I might be better suited to going to Dr. Konior. If I am going to be getting another FUT. Dr. Harris is an innovator in the FUE field in that he invented the SAFE and ARTAS systems for FUE. I cannot seem to find prices per graft though. Dr. Harris is 5$ for FUT and 8$ for FUE. any thoughts?

Obviously we aren't doctors and can't say for sure that that scar can be excised. However, I agree with KO that it looks fixable.

You have the zipper appearance as the suturing was done too tightly.

See if you can get 3 or 4 doctors opinions on your case. Try to send them some pictures less zoomed in as well so they can see where the strip was taken on your head.

To BoulderBalder: Sorry for your story. Have you sent your complaint to BBB and Colorado Medical Board? If you haven't, please do it as soon as possible. We should stop Chris McTyre' fraudulent business. He always told his new customers and potential customers that his clinic has a A+ grade from BBB and he never received any complaints and lawsuits.

So you think FUE into the scar is an option? Honestly I am ok growing it out if I can just FUE into the recipient area. I am using a dermaroller and silicone gel in the scar in the hopes that it will shrink it down at least some. I just hope that Dr. Harris has enough doner area grafts to give me enough in the front to cover the scarring that was done up front. it looks like I have a permanent case of acne or inflammation in the front of my head that has made it hard to go anywhere without a hat. and if I touch the front at all it turns very red and angry.
u got plenty of donor hair to fill it in with FUE. not even sure a scar revision is necessary. but, filling in scar tissue doesn't always have the same yield as going into skin with no scar tissue but there have been plenty of cases like urs that have been fixed with FUE.

not sure how many grafts ur gonna need but at $8 a grafts is laughable imo. I wud travel to Turkey and get it done for a 1/4 that price and done as good if not better then anywhere else on the planet.

anytime someone gets FUT they run the risk of being in the same boat ur in. I keep hearing how FUT surgeons around world have improved there technique and no one has horrible scarring any longer yet every week someone like you posts a thread like this on how to repair their FUT surgery....:roll eyes:

sure, there are plenty of patients who have FUT done and look fine. but the fact remains there are still thousands every year that are left with horrible scarring. no one is left with horrible scarring from FUE and since no one can make the argument that FUE is only reserved for small sessions there is just no logical reason to go FUT these days unless ur need like 10,000 grafts but umar has done that many so thats not even a real argument any longer.

at this point I am terrified of going to someone other than Dr. Konior, Harris, Umar or another with a top notch reputation. Are there reputable Drs in Turkey or India that are as good as the physicians I listed? If I went to "some guy" in Turkey I feel like I would just be digging the hole deeper. I could spend 8-10 thousand dollars to get ~15 square cm filled in at 50-60 grafts per cm and be done with it. is the work as good in Turkey and can anybody verify that it is as good as the docs listed above. Also the reason I initially did not go the FUE route was because I had heard of up to a 30% graft failure rate at the time due to transection of grafts. Has this substantially improved due to SAFE/ ARTAS systems?

lol I'm sure there are plenty of "some guys" in turkey but Demsroy or Doganay are not "any guys". they are two of the top ranked HT surgeons on the planet and ONLY perform FUE. and as far as what you heard about losing 30% to FUE that is non sense.

the ARTAS system has nothn to do with transection rate. none of the TOP HT surgeons use ARTAS. I think its just a solution to a problem that doesn't exist or a solution to a experienced and less skilled surgeon. u won't see demsroy, doganay, bisanga, umar, maras, lorenzo, etc.... using ARTAS.

do a search on this forum or any other and look at their work. no one has better yield then they do period!!! 3000 grafts for them wud be equilvent to 4000 grafts with most other HT surgeons. look for urself and see what transformations they can do with limited grafts. its almost miraculous imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok you guys have me very worried now. I had a 3000 graft FUT procedure at CHI back in August. Chris said all the right things to me too and made me feel comfortable. He mentioned the 20+ years of experience, A++ rating, lateral slit technique and trichopytic closure, etc so I decided to go for it. The price worried me since it was so inexpensive but I thought a company with that kind of rating from the BBB and being in business that long could not be bad. Did I make a big mistake??? My scar doesnt look bad and I have hair to cover it but I certainly wouldnt be able to have hair in the back too short otherwise the scar will definitely show. Well I have to give it time but I must say I am very worried after reading this thread. I hope I didnt get suckered into this and Chris Mctyre actually speaks the truth.

Gaveitashot who removed your strip? I think by August Gerald Searle was already indicted and likely not practicing there any longer and they dont mention who they are using as their "surgeon" any longer. No way in hell they are using lateral slit technique. I supposedly had a trichophytic closure and my scar is over a cm wide with no hair growing through. It seems that the people that went to this place when they had just started using searle basically got experimented on so that he could learn what he was doing. Strata was likely one of the first strips harvested by this doc and I went there about 6 months later so even though my results arent as bad as Stratas they arent acceptable. I have consulted with other reputable hair restoration physicians who feel that my results are outside the realm of what can be expected or acceptable and I may be able to pursue litigation. Anyhow, I hope your results are better than mine. good luck.

• 3 months later...
Ok you guys have me very worried now. I had a 3000 graft FUT procedure at CHI back in August. Chris said all the right things to me too and made me feel comfortable. He mentioned the 20+ years of experience, A++ rating, lateral slit technique and trichopytic closure, etc so I decided to go for it. The price worried me since it was so inexpensive but I thought a company with that kind of rating from the BBB and being in business that long could not be bad. Did I make a big mistake??? My scar doesnt look bad and I have hair to cover it but I certainly wouldnt be able to have hair in the back too short otherwise the scar will definitely show. Well I have to give it time but I must say I am very worried after reading this thread. I hope I didnt get suckered into this and Chris Mctyre actually speaks the truth.

If it's possible I would like to speak with a few of you. Boulder and Gaveitashot. Outside of here. I have some general questions I'd like to ask. I can not personal message on here but if you can message me emails that would be great.

• 11 months later...

My thoughts are that FUE would be a mistake at this point, FUE into a scar isn't as reliable as FUE into healthy tissue... And FUE into healthy tissue is nowhere near as successful as FUT. You also have the problem of a wide scar meaning more grafts will be needed. You'll be using up a lot of FUE grafts and by filing in the scar you won't want to do another strip.

IMO you need to consult a top FUT guy who can take out the scar and get grafts in a new strip at the same time and close with staples. This will improve the frontal area and make the scar a lot smaller.

You don't want to be messing around with surgeons who aren't top notch at this point so I'd consider maybe either Dr Hasson in Vancouver (the best IMO), Dr Konior or Dr Ron Shapiro. I really wouldn't risk it with anyone else at this point