Dr Steven Gabel - Portland/Seattle: 15 months after 3099 grafts to frontal scalp

This patient is a 62 year old male patient from Portland who desired increased coverage in the frontal portion of his scalp. He has some scant hair in the front and wanted to redefine the frontal hairline to be able to grow his hair long for a full appearance.

The before and after photos are presented which show very diffuse loss in the frontal scalp. His postoperative photos are 15 months after the operation where we transplanted 3099 grafts at the Gabel Center to the frontal hairline and frontal scalp.

The interesting feature here is that he is growing his hair longer which adds additional volume to the frontal scalp which ultimately translates to a fuller appearance. Also, he has colored his hair black which further accentuates the fullness. The postoperative photographs were taken in the way that he styles his hair which is to layer it from left to right, again, giving an thicker/fuller result. Overall, the patient feels that his hair makes his appearance look years younger and overall he feels more confident with it.

These photographs were taken with as much consistency as possible: I have been using the exact same camera (Nikon D300)/lens system for years, with the exact lighting arrangement without flash, and a consistent colored background which has not changed in years. The exact distance from the camera to the patient's chair is marked with tape on the floor, and we use the same settings on the camera to best obtain as close as possible identical shots. I also go through great lengths to have the patient look at objects pasted in the room on walls, a camera tripod, and light stands so they are facing the exact way for the before and after photographs for each and every patient. The photographs are all taken in hi-resolution which are cropped to fit in the frame I designed for presentation.

Frontal_zps621b480e.jpg

Frontal45down_zpse4534fdd.jpg

Frontal90_zps5917f5d2.jpg

Left45_zpsee981090.jpg

Left45down_zps510d0a50.jpg

Right_zps35997b67.jpg

Right45down_zps1df2fc4e.jpgTop_zpsf2064b50.jpg

Lines_zps64412a5e.jpg

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Nice results Dr. G. I couldn't help to notice your profile picture. It looks like you shave your head bald. Looks pretty good actually. Is there a reason why you won't have a hair transplant? Do patients feel skeptical having a hair surgery by a bald guy. It' like doctor performing Lasik with glasses on. I would feel a little apprehensive.

Excellent result. Any immediate post-operative shots or intra-operative shots? I love how clean and intricate Gabel and Konior's work is.

Nice results Dr. G. I couldn't help to notice your profile picture. It looks like you shave your head bald. Looks pretty good actually. Is there a reason why you won't have a hair transplant? Do patients feel skeptical having a hair surgery by a bald guy. It' like doctor performing Lasik with glasses on. I would feel a little apprehensive.

Densedream

You are correct. I shave my head. Why - simply because it makes me happy and it is a personal choice at this stage in my life. I moved to Oregon in 2001 after finishing a demanding surgical residency, followed by a fellowship in facial plastic surgery, and having passed two rigorous board examinations. After the move, I started focusing on myself for the first time in years and was attracted to athletic events, which are plentiful in the northwest. While training for these events, specifically the Portland Marathon, I decided to shave my head for motivation (which I never thought I would do - but my training group did it together) and quickly realized it worked well for me. I fortunately have a nice shaped head and I really enjoy this look, and for my training, it was also much better.

The shaved look is not for everyone for a variety of reasons, and when patients come to my office, if they ask, I am certainly open to the discussion; but at the end of the day, patients are not coming to me to discuss my personal appearance, they are coming to me for my expertise, surgical skills, and commitment to excellence in obtaining their desired results. If I decide in the future that the shaved look is no longer what I personally desire, then I will grow my hair and have a hair transplant done. I have wonderful donor hair, and the results would be fabulous. But right now, I am very happy with my appearance and I would hope patients would not judge me on my personal decisions for the look I enjoy for myself, but on the treatment and results I am able to obtain for them.

Do I have any plans in the near future to grow my hair long - no. Since 2009, I transitioned from marathons to long-distance triathlons and absolutely love it. I have since completed many half Ironman events, and three full Ironman events, the last in 2012 at Ironman Arizona. Keeping my head shaved is best for me during training for these events which takes me about a year to prepare for. Here is a photo of me during Ironman Arizona in 2012. I have my sights on another Ironman for 2015. The training has already started.

GabelIronman_zps69f71ca1.jpg

I hope this answers your question.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.