Only 4 Months Postoperative- 3192 FUT with Dr. Scott Alexander

This Patient is a healthy 37 year old male which wanted the entire top filled in between existing hairs. We transplanted 3192 follicular units which were accompanied with Acell. This was achieved with the traditional strip method. This Patient is 4 months Postoperative. He is on Finasteride and is extremely happy.

CJPreopA.jpg.90fdd879780dcb9a9441b184be28b1fd.jpg

CJPreopB.jpg.94495f231e48e51615ec1cd1538640a4.jpg

CJ4ImmedPostopD.jpg.e13e7f225927a1d5a28c504e3a1ec5b8.jpg

5b32dfc4cb03e_CJ4moPostopA.jpg.361f6e5cfd47fe59ac7bec2643e498af.jpg

CJ4moPostopB.jpg.1ea5bcf99b38f9b868b3c38521631f54.jpg

CJ4moPostopC.jpg.4c8727f293accd265ca9232070645894.jpg

CJ4mnPostopD.jpg.3eb20c61b3fabbb75bdaddf399750def.jpg

CJ4mnPostopE.jpg.ec31e22720455261277a1d41ca0d0e35.jpg

CJ4mnPostopF.jpg.a2c87be889992fac37a312bab1b42285.jpg

CJ4mnPostopG.jpg.d3935c37336cc6504bfc79b2a51f10bd.jpg

Something fishy is going on here and I dislike the presentation. At only 4 months there should not be a whole lot of growth, and yet the pictures attempt to give the impression there was a big transformation.

For starters the before and after comparison is biased and very weak. In the before his hair is intentionally combed apart and/or wet to expose the hairloss... yet in the after it is styled impeccably in a type of comb over (it was grown out and now all going from left to right). For all we know if he grew his native hair for 4 months he may have been able to achieve the same comb over without an HT. Who knows?

He also appears to have an existing hairline (from a previous op?) before this HT. How much of the hairline in the 4 month result pics was his existing, and how much is his new? Again, who knows. We can't tell. I guess we're supposed to use our imagination.

Also, doctor I notice you routinely post results after just 6 months or in this case only 4 months. I'm starting to suspect maybe this is because the patient didn't come back for later pictures and you just want something to post and show? I don't have a problem with this of course, so long as the presentation is not biased. I'm hesitant to believe this patient is "extremely happy" after only 4 months... unless his expectations were low and the minimal early growth he is seeing already satisfies him.

Something fishy is going on here and I dislike the presentation. At only 4 months there should not be a whole lot of growth, and yet the pictures attempt to give the impression there was a big transformation.

For starters the before and after comparison is biased and very weak. In the before his hair is intentionally combed apart and/or wet to expose the hairloss... yet in the after it is styled impeccably in a type of comb over (it was grown out and now all going from left to right). For all we know if he grew his native hair for 4 months he may have been able to achieve the same comb over without an HT. Who knows?

He also appears to have an existing hairline (from a previous op?) before this HT. How much of the hairline in the 4 month result pics was his existing, and how much is his new? Again, who knows. We can't tell. I guess we're supposed to use our imagination.

Also, doctor I notice you routinely post results after just 6 months or in this case only 4 months. I'm starting to suspect maybe this is because the patient didn't come back for later pictures and you just want something to post and show? I don't have a problem with this of course, so long as the presentation is not biased. I'm hesitant to believe this patient is "extremely happy" after only 4 months... unless his expectations were low and the minimal early growth he is seeing already satisfies him.

Every patient hair grows at different rates after a HT. Dr. Alexander uses 'Acell' something known to stimulate graft survivability and can accelerate the growth process. I don't think that there is anything "fishy" he is an ethical, honest surgeon. From what I've seen, I believe he is in top 3 with all the advanced techniques he uses to makes his results state of the art. This is an awesome result, I don't think hair "being wet" or a "comb over" could hide his degree of hair loss he had going for him.

Rootz,

This is an out of town patient that happened to come in to Phoenix, Arizona for business at the 4-month mark and wanted to show us his results. There is No hair in the frontal and temporal regions. It’s pretty hard to do a comb over with out hair there to start with. In those areas, all there is are transplanted hairs. Your missing the whole reason we are posting this patient. I believe the reason he has a great early result is because of the Acell that was used during his procedure. The grafts did not go dormant. Which would equal the 7-month mark of a patient’s growth if the grafts did go dormant at the usual time frame. We took photos of this patient without touching his hair. He was in between business meetings. He had 10 minutes to pop in and show us, and then had to leave. He did not want us touching his hair so we took some quick pictures and congratulated him on his early growth and he left. I have been posting on here for over 10 years and have had consistently great results over that time period. I’m not sure where your credentials come from but I’m sure you are not a physician, nor have you preformed a hair transplant. My reputation is stellar and I’m extremely offended with your remark. It’s really to bad that you have to try to fabricate reasons to slam other surgeon’s works, and successes. If you have any serious questions regarding patient’s results, I’ll be glad to entertain them or you can call directly to my office and speak to me personally. I believe you need to do more research regarding Acell.

Dr. Scott Alexander

Dr. Alexander - how did you use the Acell? I had my HT 4 months ago tomorrow and they used Acell as a bath for the grafts between extraction and implantation. I am experiencing good early growth and at this point the new hairs are probably about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long. With more just coming out.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Roman I understand people grow at different rates, but to have something close to the final result by 4 months is a stretch, "Acell" or not. Either way it's hard to tell just how much the HT has helped at this point due to the nature of the presentation. I believe the majority of the difference between the before and afters shown by this case comes down to how the hair is styled and combed... and the after pictures themselves are far from revealing.

Every weakness in the 4 month result is hidden as best as possible, whereas in preop it's the exact opposite.

Why would I want to see an illusion of improvement?

There is No hair in the frontal and temporal regions.

Doctor I don't understand how you came to this conclusion, in the first two pictures there is clearly a large island of hair. And he strangely has an outline of hair around his entire hairline preop.

It’s really to bad that you have to try to fabricate reasons to slam other surgeon’s works.

And yet you just claimed he has "No hair in the frontal and temporal regions" preop...

It’s pretty hard to do a comb over with out hair there to start with.

Let's suppose he has no hair in his frontal and temporal regions. You are aware that combovers can be exclusively with hair from the sides of the head?

We took photos of this patient without touching his hair. He was in between business meetings.

Yes, he came in with his hair styled well because he wants to look good. I'm not surprised. But did you actually ask or try to get more revealing pictures when he took the trouble to come in? When he came in preop with his hair styled you didn't take pictures?

You said you didn't even touch his hair when he came in for pictures... did you even know what was in his hair? What he using toppik? Did you ask?

I’m not sure where your credentials come from but I’m sure you are not a physician, nor have you preformed a hair transplant.

Really now? You don't have to make movies to be a movie critic either.

I have been posting on here for over 10 years and have had consistently great results over that time period. My reputation is stellar...

If you say so yourself... either way, would your reputation be as stellar if you provided more revealing pictures and better before and after comparisons?

I believe you need to do more research regarding Acell.

You may be right that I am not fully appreciating the improvement of the HT itself. Maybe the HT is 60% of difference in the after pics instead of like 40%... if so my bad, but if the presentation wasn't so biased it would be easier to tell.

Amazing results at only 4 months,his final result will be incredible. Dr . Alexander, thanks for sharing.

Scott

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

Roman I understand people grow at different rates, but to have something close to the final result by 4 months is a stretch, "Acell" or not. Either way it's hard to tell just how much the HT has helped at this point due to the nature of the presentation. I believe the majority of the difference between the before and afters shown by this case comes down to how the hair is styled and combed..

Let's suppose he has no hair in his frontal and temporal regions. You are aware that combovers can be exclusively with hair from the sides of the head?

/QUOTE]

You're aware that a comb over would not be that dense and comb overs don't have enough coverage to make someone look like they have a full head of hair, right? I think that the Acell plays a big role in this. From the research I've done, patients usually see their growth earlier than others. That being said, their full result is typically at 9 months rather than 12-18 months.

Really now? You don't have to make movies to be a movie critic either.

Yes, but you better have vast knowledge of film and of the filmmaking process itself to be taken seriously as a critic, otherwise who cares.

Dr. Alexander, with all due respect, I was considering a HT with another doctor on this forum at one time and then I read one of his replies to a patient who was venting his frustration about his lack of results.The doctor came off as defensive and it turned me off to him.

Regardless, interesting case. I'm at 7 months without the use of Acell and I've seen several impressive early growers on this forum, as well as enough of your other cases to trust that this is a legitimate posting.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Very nice work and yes early growth can start at after 2 months post-up with noticeable results showing at the 4-month mark

Rootz I like most of your posts and understand the skeptical approach, but maybe better to start off with a question first than accusation? just a suggestion

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

You're aware that a comb over would not be that dense and comb overs don't have enough coverage to make someone look like they have a full head of hair, right? I think that the Acell plays a big role in this. From the research I've done, patients usually see their growth earlier than others. That being said, their full result is typically at 9 months rather than 12-18 months.

Are you implying this result is dense then? I'm not saying the pictures are using a full blown comb over either, but a comb over method is used to create a better illusion of hair. Regardless of how much the HT has helped, I still think a large chunk of the improvement is due to severely biased comparisons. Is this supposed to be an infomercial or presentation?

Yes, but you better have vast knowledge of film and of the filmmaking process itself to be taken seriously as a critic, otherwise who cares.

I don't think this is entirely true but I generally agree.

Rootz I like most of your posts and understand the skeptical approach, but maybe better to start off with a question first than accusation? just a suggestion

Thanks. My main accusation was that this is extremely biased. I feel like it's pretty obvious and there's no point beating around the bush but maybe you're right.

• 2 weeks later...

Voxman,

Some Clinics use Acell by mixing Acell with PRP that they make up 1 week before the surgery and then inject the mix into the scalp at that time. I use it as an Acell bath. I mix it with Saline and actually dip the grafts into it right before I transplant each graft.

Thank you All for the nice comments.

I mix it with Saline and actually dip the grafts into it right before I transplant each graft.

Thank you All for the nice comments.

And what do you use to make the existing frontal forelock disappear right before surgery, then reappear?

• 3 weeks later...

SADbutTRUE,

I have been using Acell for about a year and a half now. I don't use Acell for the early growth factor that is just a bonus, I use the Acell bath to achieve a very consistent higher percent of growth in the end result. We don't always get early growth but very consistent results in the final outcome.

Thank you All for your kind words.