Which is worse?

Just a discussion I wanted to have with my fellow hair loss sufferers.

Which would you guys say is worse? Bald spot in the back "birds nest" or receding hairline?

I personally think a receding hairline is worse because you can't really style your hair anymore in the front.

Interesting question. While having the hairline is nice for framing the face, most people associate baldness with that bald spot on the crown. If you just have a significantly receded hairline (i.e. NW3) people usually don't attach the "bald" stigma to you, but as soon as they see the bald spot on the crown... congratulations, you're now "bald."

If I had to choose between having no hairline but crown intact (NW4A) or having a NW1 hairline with a big bald spot, and I couldn't get a HT or anything I would just be stuck as one or the other... I guess I'd choose the big bald spot. But if the decision was between having somewhat of a hairline (NW3) or the NW1 hairline + big bald spot it would be pretty hard to choose... I might just go with the NW3. Depends how big the bald spot was I guess.

I would say hairline loss NW4+ is worse but easily fixed. Conversely, crown loss has less impact on your appearance but is harder to resolve. That's because you are losing hair in 360 degrees whereas hairline is usually just one way: backwards!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Prefer having hairline hair than hair in the crown for sure.

I have been lucky in that my crown has maintained stable for my age and still a fairly thick swirl in most places but not sure how it would look if I buzzed it !

Matt also makes some good points about which one is easier to address. Though SMP now is helping more people with their crown.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Depends on how short you are. If the people can give bird eye look to me, then, I would prefer hairline badness. Otherwise, crown is always better.

Edited by Lloyd

i would choose crown for sure (even though i have lost from both anyways lol) having my hairline destroyed at 17 means i havent been able to style my hair for 9 long years. And even worse is if your hairline is like mine and not receded evenly (right side is more than the left) it is a dead give away. A receding hairline definitely makes you look years older, and you cant cover it up with toppik :(