How to be sure that I'm losing hair?

I read stories and see videos about guys talking about their hair loss and how they see hair falling off and into the sink or in their shower... but I've never noticed that before. My hair is longer now and I notice a bigger gap between the old hairline and the new hair, but I don't know if that's normal or if my hair is still receding.

I've been using the hairmax lasercomb(yes, I know everyone here bashes it) and 5% monoxidil. I'd really like to avoid propecia if possible so my question is a) does this look like the hairline has receded further, and b) what else can I take to prevent future hair loss?

by the way, in the picture I combed the 2 separate hairlines away from each other so it doesn't look nearly this bad when all of the hair is in the same direction.

20140611_115005.jpg.dc94d4b710eec84da38c7961efa5e835.jpg

Based on that one pic, I think you either had a very sloppy HT (the gaps should not have been missed) or yes you've lost some more hair.

How much hair comes out when you wash/comb is not a very good indication of whether you have MPB. The best way to determine your level of hairloss is to be examined by a hair doctor and see what your miniaturization is like.

I should also add if I was you I'd definitely give Fin a try. I'm sorry to say I think the laser comb is doing nothing, consider trading it in for some Nizoral shampoo.

Not sure what you mean by miniaturization.

I just ordered nizoral 2% online based on reading from other posts here, hope to start that soon.

My concern with fin is the sexual side effects. But nowhere can I find exactly how often it occurred among users. If anyone can help with that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Since I already spent the money on the comb, I'll just continue to use it. It might not help but it can't hurt.

And I've attached a pic from right after the HT

2-days2.jpg.cd4d5129caff9ab27c15cbe870bd09a9.jpg

It doesn't look like you have receded more yet, it just looks like you didn't get a lot of density and it was either implanted at a lower density or it didn't yield as well, not sure.

MPB is progressive and you will lose more hair. Everyone does eventually, if you live long enough. But in this case, if you follow the line up your temple points and compare it to your post op, they look to be in the same place for the moment. The area that is thin was already pretty much bald it seems.

I lose tons of hair, but that is because I have tons to lose. Eventually it will catch up probably, but I am using fin and have not had any sides. If you read the Merk study, (you can google it), I think that it says around 3 percent experience side effects bad enough that they discontinue use, with about 1.9 being sexual, but that is just off the top of my head, so you will want to google it and read the study.

My personal opinion is that those numbers are pretty accurate and that there are a lot of hypochondriacs that blame any health change that they have on fin. That is not to say that this is always the case, but I do feel that it is a significant portion of people who "have sides." The number of people with real sides may even be less than that because I believe the people who were taking the placebo claimed almost 2 percent sides. Again, google Merk double-blind finasteride study and read it and it will give the numbers, because these are just coming from memory and are probably a little off.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Looking at your immediate post op I think Spanker is right about the gaps being due to low density/yield in the area. From the edge of your native hair to about 1cm in where the gap is, I can only make out like 15 transplanted grafts. Not many or sure. The contrast in density is probably creating a line/gap effect. You may have had some very slight recession too, but it's unclear.

All the seemingly credible studies on Fin (including the one from Merck) show about a 2% chance of side effects. The fact that several large scale, credible studies all agree with each other on that statistic says a lot IMO. I believe in all the studies the side effects resolved when the drug was discontinued. I forget if anyone ever actually had permanent side effects in a study.

So you have about a 1/50 chance of experiencing noticeable side effects with Fin... side effects that would almost certainly resolve if you stop taking the drug. If you start out carefully with 0.25mg/day, I think the risk is almost non existent. I think the people with permanent side effects that you read about online are mostly (if not all?) hypercondriacs of some sort. People can lose sexual interest, get depressed, freak out, etc. for a multitude of reasons. Give someone a sugar pill that they believe could cause these and... who knows, it just might.

Not sure what you mean by miniaturization.

Before a hair goes dormant (falls out) and eventually permanently dies, it becomes thinner and "miniaturizes." A doctor can look closely at the areas of your hair that may be experiencing hairloss (the hairline, crown) and see how many miniaturized hairs you have. The more you have, the more impending your hairloss will be without proper treatment.

DannyBoy785. You are probably seeing more significant miniaturization. During miniaturization, hair weakens in caliber, slows in rate of growth, and can become lighter in pigment. The miniaturization process is the sign that hair loss will eventually occur. Every hair on your head belongs to a respective phase. If you want to combat this condition, you can try products that stimulate anagen. This will allow you to keep your hair for a longer period of time. Hair loss is an uncontrollable and progressive condition. There is no guarantee that anything will stop your hair loss.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

you can get it evaluated by a reputable hair restoration doctor if one is close by to you. they will do a hair count and miniaturization check

I think for the procedure you had done it looks like a decent result as Spanker had mentioned in the past.

If you go in again try for manual FUE with a recommended doctor on this forum, the difference will be night and day and they will talk to you more about important things like Propecia, future loss and miniaturization

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I was told that it is common to have a few miniaturized hair on a non balding head. And that some miniaturized hair fall out and is replaced by a strong thicker hair. Is this true?

depends if you are on Fin and how aggressive your hairloss is

if aggressive hairloss without any meds then those tiny hairs are not coming back

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

It is common to have some miniaturization in a very slowly balding head. Fact is, given enough time, almost everyone losses hair if they live long enough.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...
I was told that it is common to have a few miniaturized hair on a non balding head. And that some miniaturized hair fall out and is replaced by a strong thicker hair. Is this true?

Hi Baldybee2. This is true; it is common to have a few on a non-balding head, but miniaturizing hairs aren't being replaced with stronger hair. Essentially, the caliber of these hairs are being reduced with each cycle as they shed. Over a period of time, or eventually, they won't regrow and will be gone forever. The way to keep your hair for a longer period of time is to stimulate it. Are you maintaining your hair as well as you would like, Baldybee2?

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians