Worst Mistake of my life

In February 2013 I had decided to get a hair transplant because I heard a commercial by Washington Medical Hair Clinic offering half off HT. Next day I went in for a consultation and the counselor recommended 1300 grafts. The counselor had told me he did the procedure himself and the strip method has the best possible results. He mentioned you get a scar but it would be unnoticeable and overtime hair would grow on it as he showed me his which was completely undetectable. Over a year and half later now I have a big scar on the back of my head and the HT has minimal sparse growth. I can't keep my hair long because the transplanted area looks so weird grown and obviously you see the emptiness at the back where the scar is. I am now forced to go with the buzz look but I am so ashamed about the scar I mostly wear hat everywhere I go.

I am now looking in to SMP but worried that it is another waste of money because none can confidently say they can camouflage it to an acceptable level. I feel so hopeless with this I don't know what to do.

5b32df8113f51_IMG_23871.jpg.e784ee9a7f77fa62e4e0426da23979b0.jpg

5b32df812a062_IMG_23811.JPG.001c10e2b3061bab912e2aa83a17f7c6.JPG

All is not lost. You have not had too many grafts wasted. You could chose a quality surgeon next time and have them place grafts in to your scar. And sort out what you originally wanted to do.

You could have another FUT and get the scar revised at the same time. Or you could opt for FUE and still have the scar grafted in to.

Go for a surgeon that is recommended on this network and you will be fine !

So...you decided to undergo a major surgical operation involving a large incision to the back of your scalp, and you didn't do a lick of research other than respond to an advertisement for a discount.

The subpar result should not be in any way surprising, but it is inexcusable in the era of instant information. This wasn't just an oil change for your car or something. Why wouldn't you have done any proper due diligence?

That being said, all hope is not lost. This can likely be repaired. But for goodness sakes', please do adequate research before choosing your next surgeon. And don't just pick the cheapest option.

Options off the top of my head to conceal the scar,

1. Do a relatively small FUE operation into the scar, this should help conceal it a lot

2. Do SMP over the scar

3. Do both 1 and 2 :)

4. Do scalp laxity exercises for a month or two, have a better surgeon redo the entire FUT scar, and take it very easy for several months afterwards. I'm guessing the scar now is smaller than the actual strip taken out, so that combined with the fact a better surgeon would be doing the scar revision, it would probably heal a lot better.

5. Do 4, 1, and 2 in that order. This is probably the best long term approach but of course is the most expensive, inconvenient, and time consuming. But if you did this option with due diligence I bet your scar would be invisible to the naked eye.

Not the best photo but it looks like the scar is not big enough to go through the hassle of a revision. I would consider fue in the scar as a repair and possibly follow up with smp.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. I like the suggestion by spanker. The scar is not actually as wide as the once I saw online.

Who are the best HT surgeons and SMP techs close to DC area?

Swester point well taken I am usually the kind of person who does all kind of research and over thinking before I do anything but I don't know what came over me when it came to this. Oh well...lesson learned the hard way.

Edited by HTRegret

Dr. Lindsey is in the dc area. Dr. Wesley and True and Dorin are in NY. I think you should research scar repair with fue and choose the Dr. you like and not necessarily the Dr that is close to you, or you could be coming back to the forum with more regrets.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree with Spanker the scar doesn't look wide enough to try a revision and there would likely be minimal if any improvement add to that it seems a little low it is best to leave it alone.

You should consult with a fue surgeon to place scalp or even beard hair into this area if you are limited in scalp hair and have a good beard.

What are your plans for the top are you going to keep it shaved short?

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I would love to keep the front short and dark but the problem is you see the ridges between the plant and original hair. Also the way they plant it some of the hair is all together and some by their own looking like dark patches here and there. I haven't decided weather to go for a corrective FUE with a better surgeon or see if SMP would be a better option. Even though short and dark is the style I prefer, but I am ok going with the buzzed look.

I wonder if anyone here has experience with good look inc?

It would not hurt to start out with SMP but I think you would be happier in the long run with FUE. I don't know anything about Good Look Inc. You can always ask to meet a pt first. Luckily, there is much less artistry involved in a scar concealment then doing a hairline or crown. Your main concern would be not to use any ink (pigment only) that does not turn color over time. This is where your research will come in so you don't make the same mistake twice.

View Spanker's Website

I would do SMP first and then FUE

Though the pigment needles don't go so deep as to affect the hair follicle, you never know if an SMP practitioner may make a mistake which could damage the transplanted hairs into the scar

Also you will need repeated SMP sessions for the scar work, as that's just how most companies do it

They do a gradual accumulative approach instead of just one time dark splotching. And also SMP into scars apparently fades a lot so you would be wise to have all your SMP sessions done before FUE.

The cost of SMP should also be less than FUE so depending on the results you may be able to get away with just SMP.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Sounds like a very dishonest sales pitch to tell you that by the clinic.

You have options. I am not a fan of the SMP and FUE suggestions myself, but I think that is something you need to talk over with a doctor. I think your first step should be visit Dr. William Lindsey. He is near your area and is a very honest doctor and might be able to give you some insight.

You need to determine future hair loss, pattern of hair loss, and consider ability to take fin/propecia. If your looked good grown out I think you would probably grow it out, that might still be an option.

On the plus side it sounds like Washington Medical Hair Clinic was conservative on the grafts and therefore you still have plenty of donor area available. The size of the scar isn't bad and would allow another FUT procedure to cut over top. This is of course assuming you want to go for the longer hair look to cover the scar. If you are determined to keep your hair that short then even FUE is going to look bad from the back.

Keep us updated and we can help you out with advice. Don't do anything drastic till you gather some good research and opinions from those with experience on the topic. The problem is fixable, with the right skill.

Curious, would you all say his scar is good?

And OP hope you get the result you are looking for. I think you did the right thing coming here for advice.

But am curious what others think about the scar...