Potential Coalition Membership for Dr. John Frank of New York, New York

Dear Forum Members,

We would like your input on the potential Coalition membership for Dr. John Frank of New York. To view our demanding standards for the Coalition, click here.

Dr. John Frank was approved for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network over a year ago and has shown numerous examples of his quality results. Over the last year, he's received a number of accolades and has demonstrated his ability to perform large, densely packed sessions of ultra refined hair transplantation with excellent results. Dr. Frank specializes in strip procedures but also performs FUE when appropriate for the patient.

Given Dr. Frank's demonstrated ability to producing outstanding results and dedication to his patients, I believe he should be considered for the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians. To view our demanding standards for the Coalition, click here.

To learn more about Dr. Frank's experience, technique and philosophy, visit his recommendation profile.

We welcome all input and comments regarding his potential inclusion.

View some of his recent patient photos below:

2917 Grafts via strip with Dr. Frank

2700 Grafts via strip with Dr. Frank

2000 Grafts via strip African American Female Dr. Frank

3000 Grafts via strip

5461 Grafts in 3 Sessions

2800 Grafts via strip with Dr. Frank

4800 Grafts via strip in 2 Sessions Dr. Frank

700 Grafts via FUE with Dr. Frank

You can view dozens of additional examples of Dr. Frank's results in the Results Posted by Leading Hair Transplant Clinics forum.

We look forward to your feedback.

Onwards and Upwards,

Bill

I wouldn't call the results linked "outstanding" however the the 700 FUE seems pretty good... this is one of the few that doesn't show the hair pulled up though. The 5461 in three sessions is suspicous to me as based on the before pictures the guy needed like 2000 grafts max... 5461 later he has a nice result, but what went wrong with the first two sessions? The rest are generally not impressive IMO and tend to share the common theme of either having a low yield or trying to spread too many grafts over too large an area. Perhaps that's why the one guy went through three sessions and a whopping 5461 grafts to cover a relatively small area. Dr. Lorenzo has turned a NW5 into a NW1/NW2 with 5461 grafts, Dr. Frank turned a NW2 (or maybe just a thinning NW1) into... a non thinning NW1 with 5461 grafts.

Overall I'm not impressed, but there are certainly worse doctors out there and I tend to be very critical.

Thanks for your feedback so far. I agree that the coalition should be reserved for physicians who are performing state-of-the-art hair transplantation with excellent results. In my opinion, Dr. Frank has truly refined his technique and is now performing ultra refined hair transplants.

Many of the below results show examples of cases of men with advanced hair loss. The number of graphs transplanted simply isn't enough to provide the type of density we are used to seeing on either patients with reduced hair loss or more grafts transplanted.

Keep in mind that even within the coalition, results will vary and members will have their favorites. Some results will be more impressive than others. This depends on a number of factors which not only includes the skill of the physician, but the particulars of each patient. That said, I do feel that the work that he's doing is on par with our coalition standards.

While each member has their favorites and top 5 "best" list of doctors, I encourage members to review our coalition standards before providing their input.

I look forward to more input.

Bill

Many of the below results show examples of cases of men with advanced hair loss. The number of graphs transplanted simply isn't enough to provide the type of density we are used to seeing on either patients with reduced hair loss or more grafts transplanted.

Seems like a recurring theme though with his results. I also suspect there are yield issues as I when I look at his pictures I don't think, "Wow not bad for only X grafts" it's usually the opposite.

Personally, I do not think he is of coalition caliber. In the 5,461 graft case he uses an absolutely superfluous amount of grafts considering the norwood of the patient. In the 2,000 graft case with the African American female the yield was very low especially in the mid and left side of the hairline. The 2,800 graft case is decent but not a home run etc. The documentation is also not thorough, only giving limited angles of the results. Bisanga, Feriduni, Gabel, Hasson, Konior, Mwamba, Shapiro(both), Wong, those guys are Coalition material. This guy... Not so much. In my opinion.

Below are the standards that I found for it:

Membership Standards

The skill, technique and talent of hair restoration physicians vary widely, as do the end results. Only a minority of leading physicians provide truly state of the art hair restoration.

Coalition members are carefully reviewed and granted membership based strictly on their high level of integrity, skill, experience and ability to perform ultra refined follicular unit transplantation. This includes both the strip harvesting technique and follicular unit extraction (FUE).

All Coalition members have made the investment in time and resources to perform a highly refined and difficult to perform state of the art procedure called “Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation”.

While many surgeons now perform standard follicular unit grafting, only a minority have risen to the challenge of using very tiny incisions and grafts to achieve ultra refined results. This ultra refined procedure, while very demanding on the physician and staff, produces excellent results for the patient with optimal density and rapid healing. It also allows the patient to achieve their goal for fullness and density with a minimal number of surgical sessions.

To learn more about Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation

Membership Criteria

A physician must meet the following requirements before being granted membership in the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians:

• A demonstrated capability to successfully perform large sessions of ultra refined follicular unit grafting via strip excision or FUE hair transplant surgery using tiny incisions and grafts.
  • Follicular units via strip excision are microscopically prepared.
  • Minimizing the appearance of donor scarring by using cutting edge techniques via strip excision or follicular unit extraction.
  • The ability to dense pack tiny follicular unit grafts in a given area when appropriate.
  • Mastery and control of the orientation and direction of the transplanted grafts to achieve a completely natural appearance.
  • Dedication to doing state of the art hair restoration exclusively or at least as the main specialty of the clinic.
  • Excellent patient results demonstrating a high level of artistry and naturalness throughout, as well as excellent growth rates.
  • An excellent reputation of the physician amongst colleagues and former patients.
  • Several years experience in performing hair restoration surgery.
  • Medical training, depth of background, board certifications, honors, credentials, lectures, and published articles and books.

Note - All members contribute dues to support our joint educational resources and services.

We are open to reviewing experienced surgeons for possible membership. To apply for membership as a physician, click here.

Membership Selection Process

Physicians with a proven track record of providing excellent ultra refined follicular unit hair transplantation and who meet the Coalition’s membership criteria will be considered for membership.

In addition to reviewing the applicant physician’s credentials, technique and results, input from patients and current members of the Coalition will be considered prior to membership being granted.

I am curious if there is a vote among other surgeons for membership or an administrative decision.

This is not directed at the doctor himself, but I have seen before where there was a negative to luke warm response to a coalition recommendation but the doctor was still accepted. I agree with the others that coalition should be reserved for the very top practitioners. As the above says,"Only a minority of leading physicians provide truly state of the art hair restoration." I feel like if the word "coalition" is to mean anything to the community, their voices must be heard and respected. If there is not support from patients and contributors, the word "coalition" loses its power and the site some credibility. I am afraid it will turn into something like, "A coalition doctor does not guarantee you a top result, but it greatly increases your chances of never needing a repair due to pluggy hairlines."

This is not an opinion of this particular physician, just some cautionary concern about how a coalition member is selected. What does the community think that this title means and is it in line with what HTN thinks it means? Maybe there should be a reevaluation by HTN and the community on what it means so that there is clarity on the situation and the appropriate weight to this membership can be given?

These opinions are my own and being made as a consumer in the industry.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for everyone's input on the potential Coalition membership of Dr. Frank. As you know, we seriously consider member input on all potential recommendations and new members of the Coalition. Since there have been some reservations expressed about his potential Coalition membership, I have asked Dr. Frank to present several more detailed examples of his best work and results for review in the "Results Posted by Leading Hair Transplant Clinics" forum. Once he presents these, we can consider whether or not he should be included amongst the high ranks of the Coalition or not.

I appreciate everyone's interest in keeping our community's standards high for who we recommend and approve for Coalition membership.

Best wishes,

Bill

Look forward to reviewing the additional cases!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.