Is HT ideal to only increase hair density?

If I am fine with where my hairline is and already on meds, can a HT help to increase hair density on thinning areas? Will the trauma to the recipient area cause native hairs to fall off which would eventually defeat the purpose of getting a HT for higher density?

Edited by zyzz

It's not "ideal" for the reason you mentioned about shockloss, but I think with a top notch surgeon it would be worth it. I would just be sure to choose a surgeon who has lots of experiencing increasing existing density, such as Lorenzo.

yep gotta be careful about shockloss and gotta shave for the procedure

I increased my hairline density with 1,500 grafts last summer with Dr. Konior, pics are on my profile

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

yep gotta be careful about shockloss and gotta shave for the procedure

I increased my hairline density with 1,500 grafts last summer with Dr. Konior, pics are on my profile

Thanks what's your experience with shockloss?

good results with little to no shockloss, shaved for my procedure and searched for the best surgeon who had the best reputation for density and very clean work with fast healing

looked at various doctors and hundreds of results before choosing

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Shockloss has nothing to do with surgeon error. That would be transection (where the grafts are accidentally cut). If your native hairs fall victim to shock loss then they were likely weak and on their way out anyway. Also, there is permanent and non-permanent shock loss. The latter occurs generally around a strip scar area, but could also effect recipient areas. This hair will eventually grow back. But to answer your original question, yes diffuse areas can be treated by a HT.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Shockloss has nothing to do with surgeon error. That would be transection (where the grafts are accidentally cut). If your native hairs fall victim to shock loss then they were likely weak and on their way out anyway. Also, there is permanent and non-permanent shock loss. The latter occurs generally around a strip scar area, but could also effect recipient areas. This hair will eventually grow back. But to answer your original question, yes diffuse areas can be treated by a HT.

Can transplanting too close to existing hairs cause shockloss?

a HT procedure from the hands of a skilled surgeon only gives one the illusory appearance of density - you are taking existing hairs from your donor area and merely shifting them to balding areas for an optimal appearance - your net gain is zero, therefore the manner in which you use your limited donor supply is crucial

Zyzz,

Normal hair density is somewhere between 80-100 follicular units/square centimeter. Thinning is not visually obvious until approximately 50% of the native density has shed. This means transplanting between 45-55 follicular units/square centimeter is normally sufficient. Implanting at densities of 80-100 follicular unit/square centimeter is usually never done. This happens for several reasons: 1. because it is not necessary and wastes finite grafts; 2. because implanting at this density may overwhelm the blood supply and cause shock loss in the surrounding native hairs; 3. because severe damage or diversion of the scalp blood supply can potentially cause necrosis and other serious issues.

With regard to your earlier question: usually hair transplantation isn't used simply to increase density in thinning areas. Like others stated above, the risk of shock loss in the likely weakened surrounding hairs is just too great. However, this doesn't mean it can't be done. Especially if you thicken the area and strengthen the surrounding follicles with preventive medications like finasteride and minoxidil. If you adhere to these medications and stabilize the surrounding follicles, increasing the density alone may be an option.

Have you consulted with any doctors yet?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I guess I should have been more specific with my question. Can a HT give someone back their natural hair density?

That would be a definite no

go dense or go home

Shockloss has nothing to do with surgeon error.

Surgeon care and experience in selecting blade size and their transplanting technique between existing hairs is extremely critical in reducing the risk of shockloss.

go dense or go home