2000 Grafts Results

Beaver

I have attached the results of my first HT procedure. I'm almost 2 years post surgery. 2000 Grafts were transplanted using strip method. I have some concerns because the transplanted hair looks thin and I was wondering if this is the expected growth for 2000 grafts .It still looks thinner than the native hair.

I don't have pre-op pictures as I used to comb over my hair over to hide my bald spot but you can tell from the picture the transplanted area as it's thinner than the hair around.

My surgery was done with one of the recommended surgeons in this forum, but when I saw results from more famous doctors here especially Dr Rahal and Dr Hasson who give you back the same density as the native hair, I wonder if this is not a failed HT.

I cut my hair every month, should I probably let the transplanted hair grow longer to make it look thicker ?

5b32de1b4d40d_IMG_0076-Copy.jpg.10cf0130cab1cd344c6f0e494b8b0aac.jpg

5b32de1bcd332_IMG_0078-Copy.jpg.474d96ba9d522e2b1ba99834cbfdd3c2.jpg

5b32de1bde1b1_IMG_0072-Copy.jpg.cf79bc1b7652b630d89be1802b32c2ad.jpg

Depends on how large an area you have tried to cover, as 2000 grafts isnt alot if its a large area to cover.

Really need to see some pre-op pictures to give fair assessment on whether a success or not.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

Depends on how large an area you have tried to cover, as 2000 grafts isnt alot if its a large area to cover.

Really need to see some pre-op pictures to give fair assessment on whether a success or not.

The area covered is the one with thin hair ( new transplanted hair ) in the pictures

I saw results from more famous doctors here especially Dr Rahal and Dr Hasson who give you back the same density as the native hair, I wonder if this is not a failed HT.

I cut my hair every month, should I probably let the transplanted hair grow longer to make it look thicker ?

2000 grafts is a very small amount of grafts for that amount of area to be covered. I don't think it was a failed transplant (can't tell without pre-ops) but just the 1st stage in a great undertaking, which is what hair restoration is.

No doctor can give you back natural density unless you do not have MPB and just what to tweak the hairline. I would let the top grow longer and see how you feel about it and you may also want to consider another surgery if it is bothering you.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

If you were slick bald before the surgery I'd say your surgery was a huge success. It doesn't matter if Hasson or Rahal operated on you, they are not magicians, and 2000 grafts will only go so far. Without any pre-op pictures any opinions are quite frankly just conjecture. All Docs take before pics, you should be able to obtain them.

Thank you for your responses. I would say the area to be covered was 2/3 of my top scalp, crown not included.

The problem is that the transplanted hair doesn't look consistent with the native hair on both sides in terms of density and I have to use Toppik to achieve density ( pictures above are taken without toppik) , should I let the transplanted hair grow much longer to give a better illusion of density ? What's the optimal length that thin hair needs to make it look dense ?

If you were slick bald before the surgery I'd say your surgery was a huge success. It doesn't matter if Hasson or Rahal operated on you, they are not magicians, and 2000 grafts will only go so far. Without any pre-op pictures any opinions are quite frankly just conjecture. All Docs take before pics, you should be able to obtain them.

Yes, please post pre-op pics!

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

@Beaver

I don't think that you should wear it longer if you are hoping to improve the appearance of coverage. Minimizing the contrast between your skin tone and hair color can buy you a certain level of gratification. Some guys lighten their hair color to obtain a significant illusion of increased density while other add grafts.

In terms of additional surgical restoration, looks like you just need to add about 25 grafts per cm2 (conservative density) as to avoid losing these robust native hairs that are currently surrounding your transplanted hairs.

For a non-surgical approach, you might even attempt to wear a hair cap at night to try laying your hair down and altering its direction of growth.

I suppose you may have even experienced a minor and subsequent progression of additional hair loss since achieving fully matured HT growth.

Hopefully this is helpful in some way, Beaver.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Should I let the transplanted hair grow much longer to give a better illusion of density ? What's the optimal length that thin hair needs to make it look dense ?

Here is something I read from a HT surgeon once: Hair is deliberately transplanted at lower than naturally-occurring densities and so we depend on some illusion to make it look fuller than it actually is. Transplanted hair will always look fuller when 2-3 inches long, dry, separated, and styled to layer like shingles on a roof. It will always look thinner when cut short, spiked up, parted through, wet or clumped with product.

That said, I think you needed at least 3,000 grafts for that area to achieve decent coverage and density. That seems to be a pretty standard minimum number of grafts for a full frontal third hairline restoration.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018