Considering HT with Limmer Sr. and new doctor

larrytate

As some of you know, Dr. Brad Limmer in San Antonio passed away last year. I spoke with him by phone about my hair loss a couple of years ago. His father Dr. Bobby Limmer returned to the practice after his son's passing. I had a transplant consultation with Dr. Bobby several months ago and appreciated his honesty and expertise.

Since that time, I decided to go ahead with an HT surgery appointment with Dr. Bobby Limmer. He offered 1800 grafts for about $5800.

I've since learned his practice has brought on a new doctor who will take over for Limmer, a dermatologist named Dr. Krejci who has been trained by him but hadn't previously done HT from what I understand. In fact, I was told she will be performing my surgery, but Dr. Bobby will be there and can assist if I would like.

If you were in my position, would you be comfortable with this? I understand all HT surgeons have to start somewhere, but I'd rather not have it be on me. On the other hand, the elder Limmer will be present, the rest of the staff is the same and the price is hard to beat.

I've also looked at Dr. Arocha in Houston (at $5 a graft, he would be $9000, a significant difference) and Dr. McGrath in Austin.

Any feedback appreciated.

Edited by larrytate

As some of you know, Dr. Brad Limmer in San Antonio passed away last year. I spoke with him by phone about my hair loss a couple of years ago. His father Dr. Bobby Limmer returned to the practice after his son's passing. I had a transplant consultation with Dr. Bobby several months ago and appreciated his honesty and expertise.

Since that time, I decided to go ahead with an HT surgery appointment with Dr. Bobby Limmer. He offered 1800 grafts for about $5800.

I've since learned his practice has brought on a new doctor who will take over for Limmer, a dermatologist named Dr. Krejci who has been trained by him but hadn't previously done HT from what I understand. In fact, I was told she will be performing my surgery, but Dr. Bobby will be there and can assist if I would like.

If you were in my position, would you be comfortable with this? I understand all HT surgeons have to start somewhere, but I'd rather not have it be on me. On the other hand, the elder Limmer will be present, the rest of the staff is the same and the price is hard to beat.

I've also looked at Dr. Arocha in Houston (at $5 a graft, he would be $9000, a significant difference) and Dr. McGrath in Austin.

Any feedback appreciated.

I would walk away. If this were done at your initial consultation - fine - you could make a decision. It is probable ok, but I can feel your unease.

There is a right and wrong way to do this. This is a really personal decision to trust someone to do a elective procedure on you. Listen to your gut.

You could ask for another consultation with him present and see how you feel about it.

At a few places I consulted they were training people, but I knew who would be doing the transplant.

Was Dr. Limmer Sr previously recommended? I'd feel a bit uncomfortable going to a previously retired surgeon, let alone having a new doctor perform it.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I would walk away. If this were done at your initial consultation - fine - you could make a decision. It is probable ok, but I can feel your unease.

There is a right and wrong way to do this. This is a really personal decision to trust someone to do a elective procedure on you. Listen to your gut.

The possibility was mentioned during my consult with Limmer Sr, since he would be going back into retirement at some point. So the new doctor was not a surprise, but I assumed it would be someone with extensive HT experience.

Was Dr. Limmer Sr previously recommended? I'd feel a bit uncomfortable going to a previously retired surgeon, let alone having a new doctor perform it.

He was a pioneer of strip harvesting, seems to be widely respected, and I know a few people from the forum had good experiences with him in the past. I felt comfortable with him during the consult. But he has been retired or partially retired for a number of years.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a hair transplant done by Dr. Limmer in 2010 and in 2012. The results were amazing. I still can't believe it. My hair looks natural. I can't even feel the scar in the back of my head. I can't tell what hair was transplanted and what hair is original at my hairline. My hair is better in my 40's than it was in my 20's. I even style it. The results were much better than what I expected, but I know that this isn't the case for everyone.

I have thick hair in the back of my head, and I wasn't completely bald when I went to Dr. Limmer for the first time. But, I couldn't deny that my hairline was receding. His office in San Antonio was plain, but I was impressed with his knowledge and confidence. I scheduled the transplant procedure in August 2010, and I started propecia, rogaine, and head&shoulders shampoo per his advice.

I can see now that Dr. Limmer wasn't the only person that provided a good hair transplant. He had a team that made it all possible. Jessica arranged the surgery and blood testing. Dr. Limmer removed the strip of hair. Frances cut the strip into individual hair follicles. Christina planted all the grafts (an all day job). The team probably took years to develop. Even though Dr. Limmer has passed, the staff is still there.

Like a few others stated, Dr. Limmer Sr. is a hair transplant pioneer. He essentially introduced the use of microscopes in strip dissection and redefined the way FUSS was performed. He also trained his late son - the dearly remembered Dr. Bradley Limmer. Frankly, I do not remember if the senior Dr. Limmer was recommended at some point in the past. However, I think it is safe to say that he was an important figure in the world of surgical hair restoration and is likely very dedicated to the practice.

However, if you aren't comfortable with the different surgeon or a supervised novice doctor, you may want to consider postponing the procedure until you can obtain more information or undergo additional consultations.

Dr. Arocha, who you mentioned earlier, comes highly recommended. You may want to have a look at our other recommended hair transplant surgeons in Texas as well.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I had a hair transplant done by Dr. Limmer in 2010 and in 2012. The results were amazing. I still can't believe it. My hair looks natural. I can't even feel the scar in the back of my head. I can't tell what hair was transplanted and what hair is original at my hairline. My hair is better in my 40's than it was in my 20's. I even style it. The results were much better than what I expected, but I know that this isn't the case for everyone.

I have thick hair in the back of my head, and I wasn't completely bald when I went to Dr. Limmer for the first time. But, I couldn't deny that my hairline was receding. His office in San Antonio was plain, but I was impressed with his knowledge and confidence. I scheduled the transplant procedure in August 2010, and I started propecia, rogaine, and head&shoulders shampoo per his advice.

I can see now that Dr. Limmer wasn't the only person that provided a good hair transplant. He had a team that made it all possible. Jessica arranged the surgery and blood testing. Dr. Limmer removed the strip of hair. Frances cut the strip into individual hair follicles. Christina planted all the grafts (an all day job). The team probably took years to develop. Even though Dr. Limmer has passed, the staff is still there.

Considering that is your first post, I'm afraid I must say... pics or didn't happen

It happened. I'm just private about it.

Ok I give you some credit, but that doesn't show your result. You don't have to post it, just saying what I'm sure others are thinking.

There are certain things you want to leave to as little chance as possible and your cosmetic appearance is one of them. You want to maximize your chances of a favorable outcome and that starts by doing your research and selecting a top surgeon. It's too important to put in the hands of someone who 'has to start somewhere.' You came on here seeking advice, so obviously you have some concerns. Trust your gut. Always.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Yes - I still take propecia and generic rogain. I didn't have an adverse side effect with propecia, but my testosterone was already on the low side due to age. I emailed and asked Dr. Limmer if androgel could be used with propecia of if the two drugs would be working against each other. He responded and said that they could be taken together. Propecia just keeps the testosterone from being converted to DHT. I have found this to be true. Propecia stopped my hairloss and continued to do so after I started androgel. When I started propecia, I noticed that my remaining hair improved. It was like having a "good hair day" every day (funny for a balding guy to say that, I know).

I agree that you shouldn't take a chance on the surgery. The only thing I suggest for you to consider is that the actual planting wasn't done by Dr. Limmer. Christina did that, and it took all day. She was a machine. She never got in a hurry, and she worked diligently for hours. That is very tedious work to plant all that hair.

• 2 months later...

The Limmer clinic is posting the Curriculum Vitae (resume) of Dr Bobby Limmer, the HT pioneer and Dr Krejci, their new Medical Director.

I am a critical care RN for 25 yrs, and hair transplant (plugs in Costa Rica) patient, so allow me to point out some facts.

After reading the CV posted for Dr Krejci, we learn she is an Adjunct Professor of Dermatology, which means she is in the CLINIC supervising, teaching, and insuring dermatology residents follow the clinical guidelines. This residency program requires their doctors to do skin surgery.

Dr Bobby Limmer is also a Professor at the SAME facility UTHSC in San Antonio.

Both dermatologists being at the same medical school, I am certain that Dr Limmer knew of Dr Krejci's skills before offering her the Medical Director's position.

No doctor becomes a professor without substantial clinical skills gained through experience.

Dr Limmer's successful practice is due to his pioneering transplant techniques and surgical team building .....because that's how baby hairs become thick hairs. Dr Limmer has confidence in Dr Krejci's experience, that's good enough for me.

I've scheduled a consult with Dr Krejci, more news to follow.

Unless the physician has already undergone substantial hands on training by the mentoring physician I for one would not want to be that physicians first case for an elective cosmetic procedure. This coming from being a doctor myself. Back in the 90's I allowed Dr Rassman to sub his associates on the day of the procedure without knowing anything about the other doctor. His assurance that the "team" was the same and that he would be "looking in" from time to time worked out fine in the first case but the second time left me with a very unsatisfactory result that in retrospect I could have avoided by simply refusing the surprise substitution.