How to Nanogen?

So I bought a Nanogen bottle last year but I just got around to using it. I made a thread about this a while back(Dr. Nigam made a post with huge pictures ruining it), asking for advice on how to use it. I got some great advice. I tried it for the first time yesterday and to be honest I was a little disappointed.

While it looked okay on the crown, it looked horrible on the hairline. I tried to use it to give a little more volume to the thin hairs in the front and all it did was sit right on my scalp and it looked horrible.

Maybe I am applying it wrong or perhaps the Nanogen lost its effectiveness? Do the fibers go bad if they sit in the can for a year? Would be great if you guys can share your insights.

Thank you!!!

It's not great for the hairline unfortunately. Trial and error might lead to an acceptable result.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I have been using Nanogen for a couple of years and I am a big fan. In fact I just bought some more this week from the HairRestorationNetwork store.

Using Nanogen does take some practice, but once you get it down the stuff is addictive because it is so effective.

Like Matt stated it works best on the crown, but I had some decent results with it in my hairline as I went thru the post-op "ugly duckling" phase.

I would think Nanogen would have a 2-3 year shelf-life so I don't think that is the problem, I think the problem is you need more practice in applying it.

I remember being in your situation, I tried it and it seemed like a bit of a hassle and not that effective....so after getting frustrated I threw my Nanogen in a bathroom drawer and kind of forgot about it....but as things worsened I went back to it and kept after it, until I mastered the application of Nanogen.

Here is what I would do if I were you:

#1. Practice. You know the old saying "practice makes perfect". Believe it or not this undertaking is actually pretty important. This stuff can really have a huge impact if you master it. A couple of evenings a week you should "practice"...shower and style your hair like you would if you were going out, and play with a Nanogen application. Then after the practice session, wash it all out and go to bed. It could take several "practice sessions" to get this down pat, but I am telling you this stuff if used correctly can have a major impact.

#2. On crown application I have started using a hand mirror in one hand and the Nanogen in the other hand. I turn around with my back to bathroom mirror and look thru the hand mirror, so I can see what specific parts of my crown need a few sprinkles on Nanogen. Before I was just kind of sprinkling it all over the crown, which was wasting Nanogen and just not a "smart" application. When sprinkling I keep the Nanogen can about 3-4 inches away from scalp....before I was 6-8 inches away trying to get a better super light dusting but I was breathing in too much and it was irritating my throat and sinus'.

#3. On hairline application I am not as skilled, because now I only use it for my crown, but it was effective on my hair-line during my post-op ugly duckling phase. The key with crown or hairline application is to not "cake it on". For Nanogen to be effective it needs to be subtle and basically just a light "dusting".

I find it really helps avoid the "caked on" look by learning to lightly "adjust" the Nanogen after you've sprinkled it on. The "adjusting" is done with a combination of a hairdryer, brush, and sometimes a comb. This part is key to the success, but takes the most practice.

Once I sprinkle some Nanogen on I will wave my hairdryer back and forth over the application area....but this needs to be done while looking in the mirror....you will see the excess fly away.....but it's important when using the hairdryer to not point the power air directly at the target...again it should be a gentle back and forth waving at a slightly farther disctance than if you were simply drying your hair. Sometimes you'll hit the application area with too much power from the hairdryer and have to add a bit more Nanogen.

The hairline is a bit more of a challenge, but can be done. For the hairline what worked for me was sprinkle a liberal amount into the hairline and then basically lightly brush it out. After the light brushing enough Nanogen particles would remain and really help the hairline look.

Of course Nanogen is not cheap and for someone using it front and back everyday it could get expensive, but it works so well to some guys it's worth it. The one downside is if you master the application it will look so good that it's hard to go back, because all of a sudden you have hair and if you stop you will look balding again. So Nanogen is kind of like a hairloss drug!...lol

#4. Once you have mastered the sprinkling and the touching up/adjusting you will need to add a few light blasts of hairspray to keep it all in place and looking good. I stick my head in the sink before bed every night and wash it out.

#5. I have asked a few close friends/family a few questions to see if I am getting it right. I casually explain to them because of my hair transplant that "sometimes" I still use a little "makeup type stuff" for my thin areas. Then I ask them if they have ever noticed and 100% of them said "I dont know what you are talking about...I just thought it was your new hair". I followup with a "be honest...you've never noticed any kind of color difference/oddity or any kind of makeup or fake look"....and every one of them said "not at all".

#6. I will try and think of more NanoTips and will add them later....if you are willing to spend the money and some time on it Nanogen or other good concealers can really make a difference.

Good Luck

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

• 4 weeks later...
While it looked okay on the crown, it looked horrible on the hairline. I tried to use it to give a little more volume to the thin hairs in the front and all it did was sit right on my scalp and it looked horrible.

Maybe I am applying it wrong or perhaps the Nanogen lost its effectiveness? Do the fibers go bad if they sit in the can for a year? Would be great if you guys can share your insights.

Thank you!!!

For two years, 2010 and 2011 I used concealers for my NW5 condition. I am thinning quite a bit up front and am worse in the crown.

Between the hair fibers and Dermatch I was able to successfully hide my hairloss for that time. The cost, other than for the materials, was about half an hour a day to apply this "make up" and do all the touch-ups. I was actually surprised at how well it turned out.

But it would have have been as good if I just used the hair fibers. Dermatch was very necessary. The combo of the two was great.

The obvious limitation is that these don't work where there is no hair. So if your hairline is receded, at best, it can approach the border of your hair loss. You can't mask what isn't there anymore. See Steven Segal for an example of bad covering up of hairloss.

One other think that I remember helping out a lot...I bought the nanogen brand hair fibers. The first time I bought it I also got the "hair lock" spray. I found that when I used this spray after first doing the dermatch then the fibers that it helped to mask the grittiness of the fibers. It was expensive, so what I did forward was just to buy regular hair spray which did the trick.

And remember to buy the fiber colour that best matches your finished work after you apply the dermatch, hair fibers and spray. I have dark brown hair, but found that after doing all three, that I needed a darker colour, and started going with black Dermatch.

...#2. On crown application I have started using a hand mirror in one hand and the Nanogen in the other hand. I turn around with my back to bathroom mirror and look thru the hand mirror, so I can see what specific parts of my crown need a few sprinkles on Nanogen...

#3. On hairline application I am not as skilled, because now I only use it for my crown, but it was effective on my hair-line during my post-op ugly duckling phase. The key with crown or hairline application is to not "cake it on". For Nanogen to be effective it needs to be subtle and basically just a light "dusting".

I used to use the hand mirror and wall mounted mirror as well, to get it all right.

My routine was to do Dermatch first, then the Nanogen, then clean up. I'd apply the hair fibers up to and past my hair line. Then I use tissues to wipe back all along my hairline to get the excessive dermatch and fibers away. Next was dry tissues to make the transition across hairline more gradual. When this was all done I used my hair spray to lock it in.

When I left my job in late 2011 I decided to stop all this, and just go with a short buzz cut. Now I shave my head every few days. Looking forward to the hair transplants. With extra hairs this concealing process would be shorter and simpler.

Funny thing is when I stopped with this routine a few years ago I asked one of the people I worked with if he realized that I was using hair loss concealers, and if my hair looked fake at all. No one realized it.

Funny thing is when I stopped with this routine a few years ago I asked one of the people I worked with if he realized that I was using hair loss concealers, and if my hair looked fake at all. No one realized it.

That's what I have found too. If done correctly nobody realizes you are using Nanogen. In fact I get a lot of compliments about my hair now from people that knew me before my surgery. Co-workers, relatives, friends, the lady at the dry cleaners, the lady at the donut shop, ect... they all know I had surgery and are all like "you're hair is really looking good". But they don't know I am still using a bit of Nanogen on my crown. So when I go back to get my crown done sometime later this year most of them are going to think I'm crazy because my crown with the Nanogen looks great....I am sure they will be thinking "this guy doesn't need any more surgery".....lol.

That's how good Nanogen works!

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

That's what I have found too. If done correctly nobody realizes you are using Nanogen. In fact I get a lot of compliments about my hair now from people that knew me before my surgery. Co-workers, relatives, friends, the lady at the dry cleaners, the lady at the donut shop, ect... they all know I had surgery and are all like "you're hair is really looking good". But they don't know I am still using a bit of Nanogen on my crown. So when I go back to get my crown done sometime later this year most of them are going to think I'm crazy because my crown with the Nanogen looks great....I am sure they will be thinking "this guy doesn't need any more surgery".....lol.

That's how good Nanogen works!

It is surprising that many guys dont take advantage of Hair fibers. They can work wonders and are not really inconvienient or expensive.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

• 2 weeks later...

If you find nanogen or toppik doesn't bind easily or falls on the scalp by the hairline, please give Caboki a try mate. Honestly I have all three and normally apply Toppik to crown and Caboki to hairline. It looks great and holds all day.

• 1 month later...

hey guys,

I bought Nanogen Kinetic 15g just today and experimented my first trial with it.

I observed that a lot of Nanogen fibre rested on my scalp that gave a patchy detectable appearance. I have read really good reviews about nanogen So I guess I am doing something wrong.

What am I doing wrong -Could it be lack of exiting hair ? or is it that I am applying too much ?

Do I need to pat down the fibres once I sprinkle them or just leave them as it is ?

please check below link to see how much hair I have got on my scalp.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173584-3180-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-20th-june-2013-a.html

hey guys,

I observed that a lot of Nanogen fibre rested on my scalp that gave a patchy detectable appearance. I have read really good reviews about nanogen So I guess I am doing something wrong.

What am I doing wrong -Could it be lack of exiting hair ? or is it that I am applying too much ? ... please check below link to see how much hair I have got on my scalp.

A couple of points.

1. I am unsure of how you applied the nanogen, but it is possible you applied it wrong. When I used to use hair loss concealers I bought both Dermatch and Nanogen hair fibers. I did Dermatch first, then the hair fibers.

2. When I applied the hair fibers I did so gently. First I turned the bottle upside down on my head. Then, rotate it about the vertical axis by 45 degrees, so that it is not straight down on the scalp. Then, while holding the bottle with a couple of fingers, I'd tap the bottle with another finger to release some fibers onto the scalp. With another hand I would use a hand held mirror to view this in the washroom mirror to see exactly where the fibers were landing.

Yes, if you drop too much onto bare scalp it conceals nothing. It is best to paint your scalp with Dermatch first, then tap the Nanogen fibers throughout after. Last steps were to pat down the hair line to wipe up stray power, then spray all the hair with hair spray to lock in the powder and integrate it with the hair and the Dermatch.

And just so you know, original poster, I am about as bald as you are in your pics, if not more so. That means, yes, if you get all the tools and master your technique, you can achieve very good results.

• 3 months later...

Nanogen is very good, although I do not know if it is as natural as Caboki. In my opinion Nanogen does a better job on my hair, but they recently changed Nanogen a bit, and I now find that I go through it quicker since then. This is on the crown area.

I did use Nanogen a few times on my hairline, but could feel it absorbing into my hair follicles through out the day, this area was already a sensitive area. I did not want it to clog up the hair follicle area to make it worse so I do not use it on my hairline anymore.

I use it nearly everyday, and washing it is a pain though, I do not think it comes out completely with just water, so I use a small amount of shampoo in the area where thee Nanogen was added. From what I understand though the more you wash your hair or use shampoo the drier it becomes. So using shampoo twice a day can have that effect.

But Nanogen is my favorite hair fiber concealer.