Upper Lip Cleft Scar Repair- 3 year result - Steve Gabel, MD, FACS - Portland/Seattle

This patient is a 51 year old gentleman who was born with a cleft lip and palate. At a young age, he had these repaired after many operations, but he always had a moderate scar on his left upper lip which he wanted improved. He grows a mustache to help hide the scars from the lip repair, but he has always been bothered by the fact that his mustache does not completely cover the scars and that there is a noticeable gap.

3 years ago, we transplanted 255 follicular unit grafts into the scar and upper lip mustache. He did well after the procedure, and routine follow up phone calls confirmed that the hairs were growing. I have not seen him in the office since the procedure as he lives a considerable distance from Portland.

He recently sent in photographs taken from a cell phone illustrating the 3 year postoperative results showing a nice, natural result with uniform density in the upper lip. He says that the new hairs grow well and cover his upper lip scars ultimately helping out his self confidence. At this point, he has no further plans for any another transplant as he feels the growth has been excellent to achieve his goals.

Before_zps32a56097.jpg

before2_zps166be99a.jpg

shaved_zps48b8a5c0.jpg

slits_zpsb9ef4ee3.jpg

graftpreparation_zps2b15b3e3.jpg

final1_zps8cd972e2.jpg

final3_zps305fa14c.jpg

final2_zps03068726.jpg

final4_zpsbc8b28d5.jpg

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Not a very common cosmetic procedure. It made a world of difference to him though, I'm sure of it. Great result

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

What a great case! Thank you for sharing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 3 weeks later...