23 year old with hair loss

Hi guys I've been browsing this forum for about a year now and decided to 'share my head' lol.

As the title says I'm 23 years old with significant hair loss which has somewhat affected my self-esteem. Sometime in the future (maybe around 25ish, although some people may still consider this too young??) I am seriously considering the HT route.

I have a consultation booked with my local hair clinic to discuss my situation next month.

Has anyone had this level of hair loss at the tender age of 23?

5b32dab93841f_Photoon2013-09-10at15_452.png.b60da0d6197dfd0d0a9d23ab493562dd.png

5b32dab956700_Photoon2013-09-10at15_442.png.f8e1cb7e8739b646920723d1e3491375.png

5b32dab9d0d29_Photoon2013-09-10at15_44.png.2c93c081af55777cf1b485e5849edb7e.png

Mark,

I'm sure you're going to get a lot of advice regarding meds. In my opinion, you should consider Propecia and Rogaine in order to stabilize your hair loss and potentially regrow hair. Wait about a year and see where you are at that time.

You are still pretty young and you need to predict just how far and how fast your balding will progress. Also, take care when consulting with hair restoration clinics. Carefully research each and every doc you are considering. Be sure you can trust their advice. The hair transplant surgeons recommended by the Hair Transplant Network are ethical and skilled and will give it to you straight. To learn about our criteria for recommending physicians, click here.a

Don't rush into anything. Take your time and consult with a number of physicians. Try to meet up with some patients in person and especially seek out younger guys to find out how things worked out for them.

Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Yeah I tried the meds for a while but to me all they did was speed up the balding process IMO.

Of course predicting the course of your hair loss is a key factor in deciding when to go for a hair transplant that's why I am going to consult this doctor. It is not my intention to jump in and get it done, just going to get a doctors opinion.

Thanks for your reply mate.

I think a lot of patients looked like you did when they were 23, but a lot may have had more hair too. I would guess most any doctor that you see will recommend minox and finasteride. Did you use them for an entire year? A lot of people stop because of the initial shedding that they get, but the shedding is a good sign that the medication is working. I really think that you would be much better off on meds. If not, I would guess that your crown and frontal 1/3 will be pretty much gone in another 5 years. If you are really interested in holding on to them longer, I would consider meds. If not, I would go with the shaved look and skip the transplant until at least 30 and let your balding pattern get stable. Looks like you have a nice round head and you will probably be happier with that instead of chasing hair with transplants because of aggressive loss. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think a lot of patients looked like you did when they were 23, but a lot may have had more hair too. I would guess most any doctor that you see will recommend minox and finasteride. Did you use them for an entire year? A lot of people stop because of the initial shedding that they get, but the shedding is a good sign that the medication is working. I really think that you would be much better off on meds. If not, I would guess that your crown and frontal 1/3 will be pretty much gone in another 5 years. If you are really interested in holding on to them longer, I would consider meds. If not, I would go with the shaved look and skip the transplant until at least 30 and let your balding pattern get stable. Looks like you have a nice round head and you will probably be happier with that instead of chasing hair with transplants because of aggressive loss. Good luck in whatever you decide.

And even a smaller number had significantly less hair. (THIS GUY).

A question has always boggled my mind. That question is, what's the difference in a guy who started balding at age 40 and gets a hair transplant at age 45 as compared to a patient who started balding at 20 and decides to get a transplant at age of 25. In both cases, the patient was losing hair for five years. In both cases, shouldn't the same approach be used in hair transplantation, regardless of age? In both cases, it is highly likely that both patients will continue to lose hair in very similar ways (assuming that they have similar family histories). Why do we give the green light to the 45 year old and the red light to the 25 year old??

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

To me it is very unusual to have my level of hair loss at 23. I will turn 24 in a couple of months but still. I used minox for about 4 months and the shedding scared me off it. Should I try again on the minox and stick with it? Does it really work well? The side effects of finasteride scared me away from that drug completely (especially at my young age).

My mums dad is a NW7 however my dads side of the family have thick full heads, quite embarrassing that my dad in his late 50s has a better head of hair than me!! But you get the gene from your mums side right??

I have just recently started shaving my head as it does look awful otherwise in regards to the thinning and if I'm honest I do suit it to a certain degree but would obviously prefer hair.

A question has always boggled my mind. That question is, what's the difference in a guy who started balding at age 40 and gets a hair transplant at age 45 as compared to a patient who started balding at 20 and decides to get a transplant at age of 25. In both cases, the patient was losing hair for five years. In both cases, shouldn't the same approach be used in hair transplantation, regardless of age? In both cases, it is highly likely that both patients will continue to lose hair in very similar ways (assuming that they have similar family histories). Why do we give the green light to the 45 year old and the red light to the 25 year old??

I do not think that you are totally correct in your comparison. First, it is pretty rare for a guy to actually just start balding at 40, but it does happen. More times than not, these guys have been slowly, but not noticeably miniaturizing for a longer period of time. Second, a mans DHT levels begins to drop at about 35, so again, usually a 45 year old man will have less aggressive hairloss if he begins to lose hair that late, because his DHT levels are dropping. I would disagree with you that they are going to continue to lose hair in similar was, because the younger a person is when they start balding, the more aggressive it usually is.

When I look back at people I know, a lot of people I know went from having hair at 20 to being pretty bald at 30, less than that are the people I know that had a solid head of hair at 30 that were pretty bald at 40, and I don't know that I know anyone personally that had a solid head of hair at 40 but was bald by 50. From what I have learned through research, and in the people I know personally, the younger it starts, the more aggressive it usually is.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Nick,

It's my understanding that those who begin balding later in life have less risk of reaching the higher Norwood levels. Whereas, with younger guys, the sky is the limit and only time will tell. Om other words, it can be difficult to predict. I suppose this might not be a big concern if the patient is looking for a conservative restoration but, as is often the case with younger guys, most are looking to restore a juvenile hairline to match their peers. That can be a bad misstep.

As an example, I began receding around the age of 19. I'd say my progress was relatively slow and I retained a fair amount of fullness through my early thirties. At the age of 30 I first met a friend who is a couple of years older than me. At the time he had absolutely no sign of hair loss and a very thick head of hair. Fifteen years later, he has a mildly mature hairline but still very strong density while I went on to lose virtually all of my frontal third and have a thin crown. He's asked me advice about restoring his hairline but he really needs no work at all. His hair looks great and is more than age appropriate.

Not at all scientific but waiting until you are a bit older can help ensure that a plan is put in place that won't result in a graft deficit in the future and leave the patient wiith an unnatural appearance as hair loss progresses.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

Nick,

It's my understanding that those who begin balding later in life have less risk of reaching the higher Norwood levels. Whereas, with younger guys, the sky is the limit and only time will tell. Om other words, it can be difficult to predict. I suppose this might not be a big concern if the patient is looking for a conservative restoration but, as is often the case with younger guys, most are looking to restore a juvenile hairline to match their peers. That can be a bad misstep.

As an example, I began receding around the age of 19. I'd say my progress was relatively slow and I retained a fair amount of fullness through my early thirties. At the age of 30 I first met a friend who is a couple of years older than me. At the time he had absolutely no sign of hair loss and a very thick head of hair. Fifteen years later, he has a mildly mature hairline but still very strong density while I went on to lose virtually all of my frontal third and have a thin crown. He's asked me advice about restoring his hairline but he really needs no work at all. His hair looks great and is more than age appropriate.

Not at all scientific but waiting until you are a bit older can help ensure that a plan is put in place that won't result in a graft deficit in the future and leave the patient wiith an unnatural appearance as hair loss progresses.

I think that you touched on something that is quite important, and that is expectations of many younger transplant recipients. A 25 year old is going to be much harder to please than a 45 year old in terms of density.

I think today, it is pretty unusual to have a top doc treat a person where they will look unnatural in the future, but they may not have enough grafts to be happy through their 30's and 40's because of the lack of density. A 55 year old with a lot of coverage and decent density that has salt and pepper hair is going to be much easier to make happy that a 25 year old. I would not be surprised if we do not see a trend of men who are not totally happy in their 30's with their hair transplant, who 15 years later feel very confident with the same hair.

View Spanker's Website

I think today, it is pretty unusual to have a top doc treat a person where they will look unnatural in the future, but they may not have enough grafts to be happy through their 30's and 40's because of the lack of density.

That was exactly my point. I was thinking in terms of the docs out there that are willing to restore a juvenile hire line on a young man despite the risk of having to chase future hair loss and exhausting the donor supply. This could result in an unnatural appearance by leaving a disconnected island of hair up front.

A 55 year old with a lot of coverage and decent density that has salt and pepper hair is going to be much easier to make happy that a 25 year old. I would not be surprised if we do not see a trend of men who are not totally happy in their 30's with their hair transplant, who 15 years later feel very confident with the same hair.

Agreed! This is essentially where I am in my mid 40s. Salt and pepper hair on the thin side but with a strong hairline. While I do dream of that next procedure (when the wallet can handle the strain) I'm quite confident with the hair I have today. However, if I were in my mid 20s, it would be another story.

Hi guys I've been browsing this forum for about a year now and decided to 'share my head' lol.

As the title says I'm 23 years old with significant hair loss which has somewhat affected my self-esteem. Sometime in the future (maybe around 25ish, although some people may still consider this too young??) I am seriously considering the HT route.

I have a consultation booked with my local hair clinic to discuss my situation next month.

Has anyone had this level of hair loss at the tender age of 23?

Hello mate,

It looks like you will end up at least a NW6 at some point in your life, judging by your crown shot. You can kind of see the pattern where density has already started to go.

Two scenarios:

1)You could keep it short and kind of accept the inevitable and perhaps consider a big HT procedure later in life. Maybe a megassession in your early 30s(?) Depends on how your donor area holds up. At that stage you're probably going to be more likely to afford it (unless you are wealthy early in life).

2)Use Finasteride/Minox combo for life and maybe hold on to most of your hair for the next 10 years, then maybe consider a smaller HT in late 20s/early 30s.

Personally I'd take the second option as many people just don't get any side effects. I got some mild ones myself but I have to say that on a lower dose they have subsided considerably the last 9 months.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Should I give Regaine another shot? Is my hair loss too far on for it to have any effect?

I'm just scared it will make my hair shed faster as that is all it seemed to do the last time!

Get on Propecia and Rogaine foam ASAP. You are not even close to too far gone. I use Rogaine crown to hairline and have had results all over, IMO you should use it that way also.

You need to stabilize our hair loss before doing a transplant otherwise anything you gain from a HT will be gone within a few years.

I can almost guarantee within a year you will have more hair on the drugs

Get on Propecia and Rogaine foam ASAP. You are not even close to too far gone. I use Rogaine crown to hairline and have had results all over, IMO you should use it that way also.

You need to stabilize our hair loss before doing a transplant otherwise anything you gain from a HT will be gone within a few years.

I can almost guarantee within a year you will have more hair on the drugs

Thanks for the advice mate! I will start back on refaine tomorrow and try to stick at it!

Do you think my hair will thicken up quite good with it?

Thanks for the advice mate! I will start back on refaine tomorrow and try to stick at it!

Do you think my hair will thicken up quite good with it?

Propecia is more important but you need Rogaine foam also.

Nobody can say for sure what will happen but odds are you will get some growth and just as important halt further loss

Take some high quality before pictures

Make sure you get legit propecia

Propecia is more important but you need Rogaine foam also.

Nobody can say for sure what will happen but odds are you will get some growth and just as important halt further loss

Take some high quality before pictures

Make sure you get legit propecia

As I said previous I'm scared of propecia due to the side effects and me only being 23.

As I said previous I'm scared of propecia due to the side effects and me only being 23.

Let me guess, you found the propecia side effects forum.

Those guys have been around for 10 years now and have maybe 100 active members

I'm not saying nobody gets sides or that you won't but I have been on Propecia 15 years with no sides and the last 2 years I have upped my dose to 5mg/day.

Unfortunately if we want to keep our hair we need Propecia. It's your choice but if you don't take Propecia be VERY CAREFULL about getting a HT because if you can't stabilize your hair loss it simply won't work and RUN from any dr who tells you otherwise

Propecia is a big reason why transplants work, not for everyone but for most.

Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...

Had a consultation with a local HT doc around a week a go. He basically says what i thought he would when I walked in to his office. 'Too young for transplants' which I agree with.

He really was pushing me to get on finasteride as well as minoxidil but I'm still unsure of that drug.

The other thing mentioned was the SMP procedure which is an option I am seriously considering. The price this clinic offered was ?1500, is this reasonable?

Why don't you just try finasteride? You have, nothing to loose, except your hair. Try it and if side affects will occur you can stop the treatment.

I am on finasteride now for 5 years and could keep my status almost stable with that med. Now i am 35 , but i thout about taking finstaderide since i was 23. So, it took almost 7 years until i was 30 for me to really buy it, because i had the same doubts like you. Now i really regret that i didn't start earlier beacause it could have saved me a lot of my hair, at an age where i needed it even more than now.

I was a norwood 4-5 at the age of 23. I have had two transplants and I'm lucky to have responded well to finasteride. Finasteride really doesn't do anything until the post 6th month mark. You have to really stick with it as if it isn't going to work, but make it a habit to take the pill every day. The main misunderstanding with younger people (like me), is that if I lose the hair, I’ll replace it with a hair transplant. True, you can replace some of it, but you can't replace all of it. The density is one of the most important factors you need to become educated on.

Usually an ethical doctor will not transplant at a high density on a younger patient because of the unknown future of potential loss. The two main factors making a transplant a success in the patient’s eye is naturalness and then density. Getting a high acceptable density is hard to achieve if you aren't stabilized on medication. And it's true, the lower the age, the higher the density must be to satisfy the patient's expectations.

With that being said, i would agree you should get on finasteride again and wait a year to see what come of it. And once you start, get off the forums for a while. You don't want to be 3 months into it and read something negative about finasteride that influences you to stop. After watching all the negativity on the news, you would never consider going out into society again or driving on the streets. The reason you still go out into society although all the negative things are happening, is because you have to..... you must have a social life, go to work, make a living, etc. etc.... No different here.... you MUST stabilize your hair loss and finasteride has the best potential to do so.