Should I proceed with HT? Photos attached

I'm new to this but have been reading over this place for a few weeks now and finally decided to take some photos to get some opinions.

I went to a hair clinic last week to see what my options are. They recommended HT since my mothers father is bald. However my hairloss is tricky, I'm not 100% sure what it's from. When I was younger I always dyed and bleached my hair and I know i left it on longer than I was suppose to sometimes. I also know I put a lot of it on where my hair loss currently is (the front).

With that being said I have noticed a little hair regrowth since I started eating a lot healthier and going to the gym 4 times a week. I also use this shampoo Vichy Dercos Energising Shampoo with Aminexil so I'm not sure if that's helping it or not. I also take Biotin when I can remember. The regrowth isn't much but I think there is some.

The hair clinic said I would need 1000 hair grafts and that would cost me $4500, is this an ok price? I know mine isn't that bad and I'm not sure if it's from me screwing up my hair when I was younger or if it's hereditary since it is growing back somewhat. I asked about laser and they instantly ruled that out when I mentioned my grandfather is bald.

I attached some photos so you can see. My donor section is fine, it's just my front. My hair is very thick and grows faster than most. I know it's not as bad as some people but I am young (28) and really want a full head of hair so I have no exscuse not to approach women :D:)

hair.jpg.5a007a71f1a849300292978d1bf76ffa.jpg

The clinic should have prescribed you Propecia and recommended supplementing it with Rogaine Foam, then coming back 6 months later for a checkup.

"They recommended HT since my mothers father is bald."

If they really said that then it's a ridiculous comment.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

"They recommended HT since my mothers father is bald."

If they really said that then it's a ridiculous comment.

Yes if a hair transplant clinic is recommending treatment based on an old wives tale, that hairloss is inherited from your mother, then you should never return to that clinic. Also I have never heard of the doctor, which is not a good sign.

You know what! I think that should do your research before taking the plunge.

I think that 1000 will not make a big difference given your loss. I think that you should consider being on medication and re-assess your situation in a year or so. I know quite a few who were about to get a HT but due to their outstanding response to the drugs, they did not get a HT.

The point that I'm trying to make is that you should read into hair restoration before doing any thing as when you get a HT, there is no way back. Also, you should keep in mind that a HT is not exact science and that there are a lot of factors that affect the results. So take it easy and take your time.:)

I think that 1000 will not make a big difference given your loss. I think that you should consider being on medication and re-assess your situation in a year or so. I know quite a few who were about to get a HT but due to their outstanding response to the drugs, they did not get a HT.

The point that I'm trying to make is that you should read into hair restoration before doing any thing as when you get a HT, there is no way back. Also, you should keep in mind that a HT is not exact science and that there are a lot of factors that affect the results. So take it easy and take your time.:)

I'm just looking for a full set of hair why wouldn't 1000 make a big difference? I don't like the look of a receding hairline at all and would like as much coverage as I can get.. Yes I know your hairline naturally recedes with age, but the friends I go out with have full sets of hair and I am looking for the same, they are my age.

I was told my hair that has already been lost cannot grow back through laser therapy or medication, is this not true? The clinic I went to told me this.

If HT isn't the right answer then what is?

My recommendation after looking at your pics is simply no. However, if you are looking at this as an option then you HAVE TO BE ON MEDS FIRST!!!! I can't emphasize this enough.

If your doctor doesn't want to prescribe medicine such as Propecia first and then checking on you as a candidate then you should be running like hell. I would recommend starting medical treatment at least 6-12 months before a follow up with a doctor. At this time you may also consider blood tests to make sure that the medicine is not having any negative effects on your body. If you can't stop the apparent DHT flooding to your scalp then why would you transplant follicles to the top of your scalp if you are just going to continue to lose hair? The hair that is transplanted will not be enough to cover your whole scalp. Thankfully you have a lot of hair still and I would recommend starting a photo journal of your hair loss. If you notice it progressing start with medicine first and hope you don't have the side effects. If you do, then you are not a candidate for a hair transplant.

No one can predict what your hair loss will be accurately, but looking at those in your family is a decent guess.

My recommendation after looking at your pics is simply no. However, if you are looking at this as an option then you HAVE TO BE ON MEDS FIRST!!!! I can't emphasize this enough.

If your doctor doesn't want to prescribe medicine such as Propecia first and then checking on you as a candidate then you should be running like hell. I would recommend starting medical treatment at least 6-12 months before a follow up with a doctor. At this time you may also consider blood tests to make sure that the medicine is not having any negative effects on your body. If you can't stop the apparent DHT flooding to your scalp then why would you transplant follicles to the top of your scalp if you are just going to continue to lose hair? The hair that is transplanted will not be enough to cover your whole scalp. Thankfully you have a lot of hair still and I would recommend starting a photo journal of your hair loss. If you notice it progressing start with medicine first and hope you don't have the side effects. If you do, then you are not a candidate for a hair transplant.

No one can predict what your hair loss will be accurately, but looking at those in your family is a decent guess.

Well said!

Gage, I'd like to bring to your attention that, according to what I see from your photos, your loss is not as minimal as you may think. I don't think that 1000 will be enough. You and I are of similar age and level of hair loss and I know what I'm talking about as I've had a number of consultations with the top surgeons in the world. Do you know that if you want to lower your hairline 1 cm, you need around 1500 grafts? Do the math. If you are looking for a full head of hair and a dense hairline, then 1000 is not what you are looking for. I know how difficult it is for all of us to lose our hair and I know how it is for some of us, especially of young age, to see other people who have those low and dense hairlines. But you should know the limitations of HTs before knowing what they can give to you.

If you want my advice, be on medication before you think about a HT. If you are in a hurry and cannot wait, then send you pictures or have a consultation with some good doctor. I recommend Dr Hasson, Dr Rahal and Dr Feller as I've had consultations with them.

Good luck:)

Man...

Life is hard... and long.

Don't get a hair transplant right now... You are young, it will get worse. That's the truth.

Some meds can make it slow down, but, some time, it will definitly get at least a bit worse...

You don't wan't to do a HT now and, sometime in the future, get hostage of a hat or toppik and similars.

Be confident, go to the gym, make yourself feel better of somehow.

I did a hair transplant at your age and I have my regrets. You can look for some stories (awful, btw) at this forum that will make you change your mind.

In my opinion, if you want to do a HT, do it when an entire area of your scalp is "lost". Crown, front, middle, whatever... Do it when it will make a serious and permanent change in your look, not when it will be temporary (2, 3 years from now your natural hairline will suffer a bigger recession and it will be all worthless).

It sucks? Yes. It sucks. But like I said, compensate it somehow. You win a bit here, lose a bit there, but don't fuck your life.

@OP: Hmmm, well honestly I don't know. Personally I don't think it looks that extensive and actually think mine looked a bit worse and I went ahead and had 900+ grafts to try and restore a hairline. Im at 4 1/2 months and my opinion of whether its making a difference literally changes from day to day. Some days I really think I see a difference but other days I get scared that not enough was done.

One thing that still kinda irks me is that the Dr. just didn't really spend any real time telling me what and what I can't achieve realistically with 8-900 grafts. Although I can clearly see some growth as a thin perimeter, the area behind it looks like it's still thinning though time will tell if the hair put up front will thicken and feather in with the middle region a bit more.

Ill start posting pictures at 5-6 months to give a better feel of what was done. Also my hair is more of a wavy/bushy type so the Dr said it will appear to be even more hair. Last irksome complaint I have is that my clinic never took Post-ops......makes it hard to see what exact coverage was done..

Wow thanks for all the answers and suggestions, didn't expect this many responses, really appreciated.

I am wondering about medication now. My problem isn't losing my current hair as I believe my hair has stopped falling out about 6 months ago since I am now less stressed and I eat very healthy now. I also think Biotin and my DHT blocker shampoo is helping along with going to the gym and cardio. Will propecia regrow hair in the front? I thought this was only for the crown?

I believe my hair is regrowing, I took some photos of 6 months ago and I now see growth where I didn't have any 6 months ago. My goal if I don't get a HT is to try to get as much of my hair back as possible. What about laser for this section??

@OP: Hmmm, well honestly I don't know. Personally I don't think it looks that extensive and actually think mine looked a bit worse and I went ahead and had 900+ grafts to try and restore a hairline. Im at 4 1/2 months and my opinion of whether its making a difference literally changes from day to day. Some days I really think I see a difference but other days I get scared that not enough was done.

One thing that still kinda irks me is that the Dr. just didn't really spend any real time telling me what and what I can't achieve realistically with 8-900 grafts. Although I can clearly see some growth as a thin perimeter, the area behind it looks like it's still thinning though time will tell if the hair put up front will thicken and feather in with the middle region a bit more.

Ill start posting pictures at 5-6 months to give a better feel of what was done. Also my hair is more of a wavy/bushy type so the Dr said it will appear to be even more hair. Last irksome complaint I have is that my clinic never took Post-ops......makes it hard to see what exact coverage was done..

Do you have any before op pics? How many consultation meetings did you have before you decided? Did you go to a dermatologist or a clinic?

Hey, I'll try to post some pre-ops soon -still trying to figure out the whole face masking thing. I just looked at them and also at that time my doc had me on TRT which seemed to make me look far balder. I was assuming I was a NW 3 but after recently asking my Dr she said she thought I was more of a NW 2.

Anyways, my Dr is one of the highly reputed ones promoted here so not a dermatologists. I lived a full state away and couldn't afford an in house consultation so we talked via phone and email. This was a big mistake. I would recommend EVERYONE to meet and talk with their doctor beforehand because when you show up the day of surgery -it's go time! No 15 minute meeting in the office to pre-plan or talk about what amount of grafts go where - the plane has already launched. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking or trashing anyone, just that I was expecting more like "this is how your going to look" video -lol! Would that really be so hard?

I was going to comment but this poster said it all.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Wow thanks for all the answers and suggestions, didn't expect this many responses, really appreciated.

I am wondering about medication now. My problem isn't losing my current hair as I believe my hair has stopped falling out about 6 months ago since I am now less stressed and I eat very healthy now. I also think Biotin and my DHT blocker shampoo is helping along with going to the gym and cardio. Will propecia regrow hair in the front? I thought this was only for the crown?

I believe my hair is regrowing, I took some photos of 6 months ago and I now see growth where I didn't have any 6 months ago. My goal if I don't get a HT is to try to get as much of my hair back as possible. What about laser for this section??

Hair loss rarely stops without meds. If may pause for a moment, but it is progressive in nature. You really should be on meds. I am not saying that you are not a candidate but you would need more than 100 grafts. You are old enough that it is ok to get a transplant, but the important thing is that you do to the right doctor, you plan on getting future work done and are financially ready for that, and you plant the hair in a conservative nature based on your donor to be ready for future loss.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hair loss rarely stops without meds. If may pause for a moment, but it is progressive in nature. You really should be on meds. I am not saying that you are not a candidate but you would need more than 100 grafts. You are old enough that it is ok to get a transplant, but the important thing is that you do to the right doctor, you plan on getting future work done and are financially ready for that, and you plant the hair in a conservative nature based on your donor to be ready for future loss.

Be ready for future loss even if he's using finasteride and seemingly stopped the hair loss?

Be ready for future loss even if he's using finasteride and seemingly stopped the hair loss?
Yes. Most people will still drop below their base count of hair after starting meds eventually. If takes much longer to this usually, but you should still be prepared.

View Spanker's Website